The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Let’s get back to the actual football side of things. Does anyone know if Marley Watkins was injured on Saturday? As he wasn’t even in the team or subs, I presumed that he was, but haven’t seen any reason given for his omission.

I believe he picked up some kind of injury in training. The way things go for us, that will probably be a 4 month absence.

I actually see a lot of Pele Paterson in Stephen Glass. They both have the barfly look. In Paterson's case it was because he was a barfly, Glass I don't know.

I always remember that during the first Gulf War, and presumably the second war, Saddam Hussein could never get the right info from his inner circle because everyone was afraid to tell him the truth in case they were fed to the dogs. Consequently, they told him what he wanted to hear.

Cormack may not feed anyone to the dogs but nor does he want to get himself into a position where people just tell him what he wants to hear. The self named training park was the first signs of Cormack building a cult of personality whilst trying to leave a legacy for himself. The Fergie statue might be the precursor to a bigger one of Cormack being erected next to Fergie...😛

I don't trust Cormack. Not because I think he has evil intentions, but because I think he might be having a multi-millionaire's late midlife crisis. It's making him impulsive, unpredictable and probably a nightmare boss to work under.

He's 62 now I think. How long will his interest in being chairman/owner last? Is he even considering succession planning? There's nobody there to rein him in, and he's probably not going to listen to anyone anyway. He quoted what Fergie told him during a video call to fans but what he quoted sounded very much like what Cormack wanted to hear rather than what was actually said.

Cormack makes me more nervous than excited and nothing so far during his tenure has done anything to assuage this nervousness.

Everything he does seems cheap, ill-thought and off the cuff. There are definite parallels to Romanov at Hearts for me. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

6 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Everything he does seems cheap, ill-thought and off the cuff. There are definite parallels to Romanov at Hearts for me. 

Cant really comment on the rest of your post, but Cormack Park doesnt (from the outside) look cheap and poorly thought out - real cash has been spent on it, whereas Romanof didnt really fund anything concrete at Hearts.

Vlad buying Hearts was clearly a vanity project.

He was also a crook who ran up massive debts on Hearts tab which almost sent them into oblivion when the chickens came home to roost.

Cormack is not in the same universe as that whack job.

18 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Cant really comment on the rest of your post, but Cormack Park doesnt (from the outside) look cheap and poorly thought out - real cash has been spent on it, whereas Romanof didnt really fund anything concrete at Hearts.

He was also a crook who ran up massive debts on Hearts tab which almost sent them into oblivion when the chickens came home to roost.

As far as we know...

3 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I actually see a lot of Pele Paterson in Stephen Glass. They both have the barfly look. In Paterson's case it was because he was a barfly, Glass I don't know.

I always remember that during the first Gulf War, and presumably the second war, Saddam Hussein could never get the right info from his inner circle because everyone was afraid to tell him the truth in case they were fed to the dogs. Consequently, they told him what he wanted to hear.

Cormack may not feed anyone to the dogs but nor does he want to get himself into a position where people just tell him what he wants to hear. The self named training park was the first signs of Cormack building a cult of personality whilst trying to leave a legacy for himself. The Fergie statue might be the precursor to a bigger one of Cormack being erected next to Fergie...😛

I don't trust Cormack. Not because I think he has evil intentions, but because I think he might be having a multi-millionaire's late midlife crisis. It's making him impulsive, unpredictable and probably a nightmare boss to work under.

He's 62 now I think. How long will his interest in being chairman/owner last? Is he even considering succession planning? 

50 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I agree that there are major differences between Cormack and Romanov, not least that Cormack is an actual supporter (which might be his greatest weakness as chairman) of the club. All I'm saying is that there are, in my opinion, parallels between the two.

Indeed, 'Cormack Park' can't exactly be labelled as "cheap" but I would suggest it was ill thought out. For example, I wouldn't fancy training their in the winter.

Guest Bob Mahelp
53 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

You're correct on most of that. Nobody is suggesting that Cormack is a crook, and there's no indication that he's prepapred to take financial risks with the club. 

There is the worry though that AFC is a vanity project for him. He clearly has an ego, and that can be a dangerous thing in a football club chairman. 

I think I alluded above to the fact that throughout my life time, Aberdeen have had quiet, unassuming characters as club chairmen. I started watching the Dons in the 70's and the only 4 Chairmen I remember are Dick Donald, Chris Anderson, Iain Donald and Stewart Milne. All of them local, Aberdonian to the core, and would fight to the death for a loose penny. 

Cormack is a different beast, and that goes a bit against the AFC grain. Maybe I'm wrong though...I hope so. 

21 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

You're correct on most of that. Nobody is suggesting that Cormack is a crook, and there's no indication that he's prepapred to take financial risks with the club. 

There is the worry though that AFC is a vanity project for him. He clearly has an ego, and that can be a dangerous thing in a football club chairman. 

I think I alluded above to the fact that throughout my life time, Aberdeen have had quiet, unassuming characters as club chairmen. I started watching the Dons in the 70's and the only 4 Chairmen I remember are Dick Donald, Chris Anderson, Iain Donald and Stewart Milne. All of them local, Aberdonian to the core, and would fight to the death for a loose penny. 

Cormack is a different beast, and that goes a bit against the AFC grain. Maybe I'm wrong though...I hope so. 

Charlie Forbes was the same, and like 3 others was an ex-player.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Charlie Forbes was the same, and like 3 others was an ex-player.

You get a greeny for being older than me and remembering Charlie 😀

I’m always a bit torn on cormack. I think a lot of what he does is refreshing. He is trying to modernise the club and he has a drive to get things done when he sets his mind to it. The red shed is a great example of that. 

Milne was happy to keep the lights on and trundling along as a going concern. Maybe not the worst trait of a chairman but hardly exciting. 

However, Dave does have an ego, he comes across pretty stubborn but also combined with quite naive. That can be a fairly dangerous combination. 

You’d like to think he recognises glass was always a gamble and he needs to be ready to pull the trigger if (and it’s still an if for me) it’s heading into real trouble. The worry is obviously that glass is his guy and he doesn’t want to be seen to have cocked this one up. 

I’ve also never been particularly comfortable with Dave setting the style of football we play. I don’t think that’s what you want from a chairman and I think a manager should always have the backing to be pragmatic if and when we have to. We all want better football but it needs to suit what you have in the building. 

I'm not Cormark biggest fan but he seems to be a bit quiet on the social media front in the last few months. The one thing he deserves praise is he and his mates have put £20 Million into the club and delivered a training facilities that wouldn't have happened without him. 

He has been very open on the plans he wants for the dons and the style of football he wants us to watch. 

Can only imagine the abuse he is getting on twitter after a poor results. 

Edited by betting competition

Cormack clearly has a huge ego but I don’t think you can doubt his intentions for the club. He’s made his money and wants to “give something back” to the North East, with the legacy he leaves by doing this a very welcome by-product.

On the pitch, he’s constantly increased the playing budget and brought in coaching staff. I would agree that him insisting on a certain style of play is a step too far.

Off the pitch, him and his pals have delivered a much needed training ground. On the stadium front, he seems keen to go with the beach option which is encouraging. Pittodrie is even looking a bit better after decades of neglect with the murals in the Merkie and banners up on the Main Stand and the SAF statue on the way. He’s on board with the community stuff as well, just look at the work during COVID.

It’s also obvious that he listens and to the fans, possibly too much so at times. I think back to the Rangers semi when he went gung ho and got us 20,000 tickets which we were never going to sell. The Red Shed is of course fantastic and the plans for fan zones etc are encouraging.

It might be the 20 years of Milne talking but Cormack has been great for the club, in the most part.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

A new manager and ten outfield signings, plus injury to our best player, always teething problems. 

If we're still having the same convo early December, and the results stay the same, I've no doubt he'll get the dunt. 

When do 'teething problems' stop being 'teething problems' ? Glass has been at the club for 6 months and we're on our worst run of form in 9 years.

And we've not even played the OF or Hibs yet. 

I'm not pushing the eject button yet, but we have 5 games in October and 4 of them are against the OF, Hibs and Hearts. The way it's going there's a pretty fair chance that in around 5 weeks time we could be languishing in 9th or 10th place, a good 10 points or more off even 3rd place. 

For me, that would be the time to remove Glass and get someone in who knows something about football management. 

Maybe Sunday's latest 'must win game' will be the turning point. Let's hope so. 

2 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Cormack clearly has a huge ego but I don’t think you can doubt his intentions for the club. He’s made his money and wants to “give something back” to the North East, with the legacy he leaves by doing this a very welcome by-product.

On the pitch, he’s constantly increased the playing budget and brought in coaching staff. I would agree that him insisting on a certain style of play is a step too far.

Off the pitch, him and his pals have delivered a much needed training ground. On the stadium front, he seems keen to go with the beach option which is encouraging. Pittodrie is even looking a bit better after decades of neglect with the murals in the Merkie and banners up on the Main Stand and the SAF statue on the way. He’s on board with the community stuff as well, just look at the work during COVID.

It’s also obvious that he listens and to the fans, possibly too much so at times. I think back to the Rangers semi when he went gung ho and got us 20,000 tickets which we were never going to sell. The Red Shed is of course fantastic and the plans for fan zones etc are encouraging.

It might be the 20 years of Milne talking but Cormack has been great for the club, in the most part.

I agree with that, and these things are all well and good but Cormack's main job is to appoint a manager that will bring us success. 

It struck me that Cormack maybe sees himself as a kind of Chris Anderson.....a progressive visionary who was an integral part of the club's best years. 

I fancy that he sees that kind of legacy for himself. 

14 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I agree that there are major differences between Cormack and Romanov, not least that Cormack is an actual supporter (which might be his greatest weakness as chairman) of the club. All I'm saying is that there are, in my opinion, parallels between the two.

Indeed, 'Cormack Park' can't exactly be labelled as "cheap" but I would suggest it was ill thought out. For example, I wouldn't fancy training their in the winter.

Aye, they should’ve located the training ground in St Tropez 

I agree with that, and these things are all well and good but Cormack's main job is to appoint a manager that will bring us success. 
It struck me that Cormack maybe sees himself as a kind of Chris Anderson.....a progressive visionary who was an integral part of the club's best years. 
I fancy that he sees that kind of legacy for himself. 

Alternatively, you could say Hibs have to play the OF and us, Hearts have to play Rangers and us.

Beat the Edinburgh teams at Home, Saints and Dundee away and it’s all good.

Stay positive [emoji106]