The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I am usually/always an optimist when it comes to AFC, but we have just played a team that hadn’t won without the aid of a penalty shoot out all season and lost. We now play a team that hasn’t won a league game all season followed by playing a team at home who haven’t won away for seven months. I really hope I’m looking back on this post in two weeks time and laughing my socks off...but I doubt it.

The exception that proves the rule in the Dons support...

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I am usually/always an optimist when it comes to AFC, but we have just played a team that hadn’t won without the aid of a penalty shoot out all season and lost. We now play a team that hasn’t won a league game all season followed by playing a team at home who haven’t won away for seven months. I really hope I’m looking back on this post in two weeks time and laughing my socks off...but I doubt it.

Keep the faith Joey, we can't have our resident optimist looking at the grim side of things...I've got a feeling in my water that six points will be delivered in the next two games.

Although my positivity might be generated by the blue skies and sunny September morning rather than any belief in our current squad of individuals led by a management team with little experience....🤔

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I'm not an optimist, and it worries me that there's a stench of McGhee about all of this. 

Glass seems to be having real problems in getting a group of fairly decent players....and there's a strong argument for saying that Aberdeen have at the very worst the 4th strongest squad in Scotland.... into any kind of cohesive unit. We can't score goals, and we can't defend. 

Two of his highest profile signings, Ramirez and Gallagher, are struggling. He can't decide on a settled starting XI and not for the first time, we seem overly reliant on Ryan Hedges as the only player in the squad who can do something creative. 

The only thing working in his favour at this moment is that fact that we do indeed have some talented players. But Glass is going to have to quickly work out how to get more from them. 

19 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not an optimist, and it worries me that there's a stench of McGhee about all of this. 

Glass seems to be having real problems in getting a group of fairly decent players....and there's a strong argument for saying that Aberdeen have at the very worst the 4th strongest squad in Scotland.... into any kind of cohesive unit. We can't score goals, and we can't defend. 

Two of his highest profile signings, Ramirez and Gallagher, are struggling. He can't decide on a settled starting XI and not for the first time, we seem overly reliant on Ryan Hedges as the only player in the squad who can do something creative. 

The only thing working in his favour at this moment is that fact that we do indeed have some talented players. But Glass is going to have to quickly work out how to get more from them. 

Stench of McGhee would be an excellent band name IMO. 

Make it so. 

10 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Last couple of games have been poor but there has been a bit of an overreaction. Still early days and we all expected bumps along the road. I’ll wait at least until Christmas before getting the lazy McGhee comparisons out. 

Is a lazy Ian Cathro a better comparison?

Guest Bob Mahelp
59 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Last couple of games have been poor but there has been a bit of an overreaction. Still early days and we all expected bumps along the road. I’ll wait at least until Christmas before getting the lazy McGhee comparisons out. 

Given that Glass has come in and pretty much instantly we're on our worst run of form since 2012, I maybe should have said that there's a stench of Craig Brown about it. 

Which isn't as stenchy as McGhee, but is still a bit whiffy. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

My first thought was, no way does Glass = McGhee.

But the longer I thought about it, possibly Cormack + Glass = McGhee. 

But it's more Cormack than Glass.

That's my biggest fear.  You can (and will) get rid of a bad manager.  Getting rid of a bad Chairman is an entirely different story.

Cormack has always given me the fear to be honest. Maybe it's my intrinsically calvinist Aberdonian coming out, but I grew up with Chairman Dick and his 'how much ?' mentality, and that felt comfortable. A good fit for the club. 

Milne, for all his faults, found a good fit in McInnes. Both worked well together, McInnes as boss and Milne quietly in the background. Nothing flashy, but a steady presence. All it needed was a couple of cups, but there you go.

Cormack is another beast entirely. Flashy, showy, up front, loud. It's his club, and he wants to make a grand gesture.  He's far more Vladimir Romanov than Dick Donald, which is worrying. As soon as he arrived at the club, McInnes's days were numbered and I'm sure Deek knew it. 

The worry is that Cormack considers himself a genius.....he can see things that nobody else can see, hence the appointment of a mate who had never managed a club before. 

Whatever the future brings, I think that it's pretty much certain that we're stuck with Glass for the long haul. Cormack just has too much tied up personally in this appointment, and he doesn't strike me as a man who will admit to mistakes. 

1 hour ago, Game of throw-ins said:

My first thought was, no way does Glass = McGhee.

But the longer I thought about it, possibly Cormack + Glass = McGhee. 

But it's more Cormack than Glass.

That's my biggest fear.  You can (and will) get rid of a bad manager.  Getting rid of a bad Chairman is an entirely different story.

Maybe just maybe that's why McInnes didn't see eye to eye, maybe he did indeed have Aberdeens best interests at heart and could see where it was going..........."The bitter dirty *** c**t f**k!! should never be allowed in the door of pittodrie again etc"

Edited by red23

2 hours ago, red23 said:

Maybe just maybe that's why McInnes didn't see eye to eye, maybe he did indeed have Aberdeens best interests at heart and could see where it was going..........."The bitter dirty *** c**t f**k!! should never be allowed in the door of pittodrie again etc"

Or maybe Derek is still taking a big wage. So we went for a less experienced manager, as he is less expensive on a short deal. We could then switch in the future to someone more experienced if it didn't work. The problem is Glass's signings aren't working out, including the big coaching team. So we either need Glass to find our best team ASAP or face even bigger expenses ahead.

Edited by Don exotic

Guest Bob Mahelp
36 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

Or maybe Derek is still taking a big wage. So we went for a less experienced manager, as he is less expensive on a short deal. We could then switch in the future to someone more experienced if it didn't work. The problem is Glass's signings aren't working out, including the big coaching team. So we either need Glass to find our best team ASAP or face even bigger expenses ahead.

Is Glass on a short deal ? I'm honestly not sure...

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Milne, for all his faults, found a good fit in McInnes. Both worked well together, McInnes as boss and Milne quietly in the background. Nothing flashy, but a steady presence. All it needed was a couple of cups, but there you go.

Cormack is another beast entirely. Flashy, showy, up front, loud. It's his club, and he wants to make a grand gesture.  He's far more Vladimir Romanov than Dick Donald, which is worrying. As soon as he arrived at the club, McInnes's days were numbered and I'm sure Deek knew it. 

The worry is that Cormack considers himself a genius.....he can see things that nobody else can see, hence the appointment of a mate who had never managed a club before. 

Whatever the future brings, I think that it's pretty much certain that we're stuck with Glass for the long haul. Cormack just has too much tied up personally in this appointment, and he doesn't strike me as a man who will admit to mistakes. 

I agree with a lot of that, but not that we're stuck with Glass for the long haul.  If Glass can't arrest the slide, Cormack will start getting it in the neck. 

If things get bad the only way he will be able to take the heat off himself (at least temporarily) is by sacking Glass.  I feel pretty sure that's exactly what he'll do.