The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

37 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Although if we beat them we might just get some genuinely glamorous ties.

More seriously, I think this is about the money.  I kind of agree with your implied point that Europe has been over-sold for fans of clubs of our size, but the Conference League is maybe a game changer.  The competition may not be serious, but for clubs of our size the money is.  In recent years it's been almost impossible for Scottish clubs outside the top 2 to get a big slice of Euro money.  Instances of clubs qualifying for the group stages of the Europa Cup were rare and spread too far apart for clubs consistently to benefit.  We haven't since 2007.

That may be about to change.  What we really couldn't afford is a situation where the likes of Hibs and Hearts were regularly reaching the group stages and we weren't.  A few years of that and they could be out of sight financially. 

I'm not saying that's going to happen.  It's too early to tell whether some Scottish clubs will regularly make the group stages in the Conference League.  But if they do we can't afford not to be one of them.

I don't think it is any easier to qualify for the Conference league, we just got lucky with the draw in the 3rd round. The co-efficient in the next 3 years will give 1 club outside rangers and Celtic group football so I hope Aberdeen take advantage of this. 

Edited by betting competition

2 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

If a Europa Conference League qualifying play-off second leg match between Aberdeen and the Azerbaijani Premier League's second best team doesn't bring a bit of 'dazzle' to the streets of the city, I just don't know what will. 

I know it's difficult for a Hibs fan to understand the attraction of European football as you rarely qualify but as I was referring towards the autumn and winter, I was evidently suggesting potential opponents in the group stages.

However, I do enjoy watching teams from other leagues visiting Pittodrie whether they're the second best team in Azerbaijan or the bottom placed team in San Marino, and I know many Dons feel similar.

European football has a special place in the heart of many a Dandy Don.

You just stick to your mutually destructive parochial little rivalry with Hearts.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

On 19/08/2021 at 16:20, Suspect Device said:

Tickets bought in Tuesday for Hearts on Sunday/Qarabag next week. Picked them up yesterday and couldn't use them by Wednesday night. Went arse over tit on my bike and broke my hip. Will be seeing if I can watch the game from my bed in ARI. 😂

What a pisser. Surgery this morning to inert a plate and 2 screws. 6 weeks on crutches. 2nd time in my life I'll be heading to the South stand on crutches. 20 years ago I broke my ankle. Fucking hard work going from the pub to the match on crutches. 

Ouch!

10 hours ago, Killiefan said:

Pittodrie in February, aye that’s a first class playing surface.

Better than your amateur & I’m universally hated school pitch.

And absolutely better than the farcical thing UEFA passed the other night.

This is big boys stuff… away back to oblivion & argue with Arbroath 

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Better than your amateur & I’m universally hated school pitch.

And absolutely better than the farcical thing UEFA passed the other night.

This is big boys stuff… away back to oblivion & argue with Arbroath 

Arbroath/Raith Rovers what’s the difference.

You’re a character you big boy.

19 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Is the fact Aberdeen have owned Kilmarnock for many years part of your inferiority complex?

One win in 32 games they had against us (that’s thirty two), and that was down to Craig Thomson sending off Devlin after 3 minutes in a ridiculous manner. 

I wished they stayed up.
Guaranteed points. 

So aye, definite yappy wee man syndrome 

5 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

One win in 32 games they had against us (that’s thirty two), and that was down to Craig Thomson sending off Devlin after 3 minutes in a ridiculous manner. 

I wished they stayed up.
Guaranteed points. 

So aye, definite yappy wee man syndrome 

And before those 32 games?

Only big thing about Aberdeen these days is the chairman’s mouth, won’t be long now to you’re back at what you do best, being moaning depressing negative twats.

Guest Bob Mahelp
31 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

Only big thing about Aberdeen these days is the chairman’s mouth, won’t be long now to you’re back at what you do best, being moaning depressing negative twats.

Jings crivens son, calm down.  Are you sure you're not a Hibs fan ? 

40 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

We already are in case you hadn’t noticed.

Run along to the Championship board 

5 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

More seriously, I think this is about the money.  I kind of agree with your implied point that Europe has been over-sold for fans of clubs of our size

European football is a clusterf**k these days, but I'd still rather be on the inside pi$$ing out.

In a country where you can play the same side seven times (us v Sevco 2018/19), it's just so much more interesting to have some games against sides from other countries.

The Scottish League can be generally ranked anywhere from around 10 to 30 in terms of the 50 odd European leagues.............yet some people seem to treat every team outside the top 5 leagues and a handful of others as some kind of diddy that our clubs should be rolling over.  Very often it's fans of clubs that seldom or never get into Europe that come out with this stuff.

European football is a clusterf**k these days, but I'd still rather be on the inside pi$$ing out.
In a country where you can play the same side seven times (us v Sevco 2018/19), it's just so much more interesting to have some games against sides from other countries.
The Scottish League can be generally ranked anywhere from around 10 to 30 in terms of the 50 odd European leagues.............yet some people seem to treat every team outside the top 5 leagues and a handful of others as some kind of diddy that our clubs should be rolling over.  Very often it's fans of clubs that seldom or never get into Europe that come out with this stuff.
I hate what uefa have done to European football, tbh I wish the big clubs would f**k off and do their own thing so that the system can be redesigned so it isn't set up to get rid of diddies like us but while they are still here this new conference league might be a bit of a boost

9 hours ago, Killiefan said:

See the source image

9 hours ago, Killiefan said:

Bloody hell, Aberdeen fans get stick for apparently living in the past, and now a Kilmarnock fan comes along and gives us stick for living in the present. We cannae win. (Except against Kilmarnock)

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Bloody hell, Aberdeen fans get stick for apparently living in the past, and now a Kilmarnock fan comes along and gives us stick for living in the present. We cannae win. (Except against Kilmarnock)

And Raith Rovers