The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

I don't disagree, but I never understand why fans start to get all concerned about finances though, you've got to trust the chairman. 

Im surprised 500k wouldn't get us McGrath. 

You should absolutely care about the finances. 

33 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Barrie Mckay incoming

It may be my age, but it fair rips my knitting when I see players whos parents were so "Insta-cool" that they christened the wee radge that way.

An Oldco fan that used to report to me called one of his laddies Harris and that almost tipped me over the edge........

And dinnae get me started on "Kris".

8 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Boyle is a good player who's done well in our league. Footballers don't just become shite after 30, I'm sure we'll be looking to get players who we can sell for large fees as well. One signing doesn't make what Cormack said, untrue. 

Its all very unlikely to happen of course, I just can't get my head round the folk getting worked up over fees etc. The club is doing fine, trust the prawcess.

I've said earlier I'd happily have Boyle at Aberdeen but not at the fee it will likely take Hibs to sell him. 

There's no sell on value at his age and if his knee goes again then it's an expensive mistake.

I agree with @coprolite it's likely his agent reminding teams down south there's a release clause for non Scottish teams.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I've said earlier I'd happily have Boyle at Aberdeen but not at the fee it will likely take Hibs to sell him. 

There's no sell on value at his age and if his knee goes again then it's an expensive mistake.

I agree with @coprolite it's likely his agent reminding teams down south there's a release clause for non Scottish teams.

Or Dave Cormack leaking it after Sunday's shambles?

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I don't see what the club have to gain by leaking a potential signing that isn't going to happen though?

Agree - there's no benefit for us to advertise to clubs that we've got cash to splash.

Just gives selling clubs like Hibs more scope to play hardball.

2 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I care insofar as I don't want us to cease to exist or the finances to get so bad we can no longer actually compete at the top end of the table. 

However, I never understand football fans regarding transfers. People moan we use the loan market too much, or we won't push the boat out for fees, too many journeymen, now, we've made an attempt to sign one of the leagues best players, and folk still take an issue. 

Pointing out all the negatives of the potential signing, rather than the positives a player like Boyle would bring.

Its not worth speculating, if the manager wants him, and the chairman is happy to release the money that his club wants for him, fair fucks. 

The tedium of going over the ins and outs etc is just brutal. We're meant to get excited about these kind of things, not be filled with instant dread about the potential cost etc. It's bizarre. 

Ceasing to exist usually starts with entering into a series of expensive deals with no real value to the club.

Even if you forget the existential threat of financial mismanagement, what other areas of the squad would suffer as a result of this deal? Would that be any hope of another centre half coming in gone? 

I don’t think there’s anything tedious about assessing whether or not a deal represents value to the club. 

I doubt we need to worry anyway, the deal ain’t happening. 

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ceasing to exist usually starts with entering into a series of expensive deals with no real value to the club.

Even if you forget the existential threat of financial mismanagement, what other areas of the squad would suffer as a result of this deal? Would that be any hope of another centre half coming in gone? 

I don’t think there’s anything tedious about assessing whether or not a deal represents value to the club. 

I doubt we need to worry anyway, the deal ain’t happening. 

I'm sure we'll know before too long if the deal is a no go this month as Hibs will come out and confirm as much.

If they avoid saying anything then maybe it is a go-er?

I'm sure we'd have something to say if Dundee Utd bid £500k for Ramirez or Ramsay.

6 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Agree - there's no benefit for us to advertise to clubs that we've got cash to splash.

Just gives selling clubs like Hibs more scope to play hardball.

That, along with Dave constantly being tweeted and asked about Boyle.

3 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

Would it be wild to suggest the club thought the 500k release clause applied for Scottish teams hence the bid? And now we look a bit stupid.

No. There's always that possibility.

3 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I care insofar as I don't want us to cease to exist or the finances to get so bad we can no longer actually compete at the top end of the table. 

However, I never understand football fans regarding transfers. People moan we use the loan market too much, or we won't push the boat out for fees, too many journeymen, now, we've made an attempt to sign one of the leagues best players, and folk still take an issue. 

Pointing out all the negatives of the potential signing, rather than the positives a player like Boyle would bring.

Its not worth speculating, if the manager wants him, and the chairman is happy to release the money that his club wants for him, fair fucks. 

The tedium of going over the ins and outs etc is just brutal. We're meant to get excited about these kind of things, not be filled with instant dread about the potential cost etc. It's bizarre. 

I don't think there is anyone here that wouldn't be excited to see Boyle line up for the Dons. Just not at an inflated rate on an inflated wage that then drives up the average wage of the squad.

4 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

We wouldn't know if the deal represented value to the club, unless it happened. 

We've pissed away accumulatively more money on worse players than Boyle in recent seasons. Kennedy and Hernandez being the two most recent, 

We've made large profits on McKenna and Cosgrove, and probably will on Ferguson. 

I think Boyle would be an ace signing and I'm not about to get bent out of shape over whether or not our money could be better spent elsewhere, everything is a gamble. 

Everything is a gamble is just a lazy way of saying I just want the bestest players. 

Whilst there’s an element of risk in any deal the idea is to mitigate and minimise the risk of any investment we make. 

Hernandez is a funny one with the Atlanta angle but let’s say for arguments sake we did just spend £750k-£1m on a right back for him to make a handful of appearances then that is a spectacular waste of funds for a club of our size and one we should be avoiding repeating at all costs. 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

It may be my age, but it fair rips my knitting when I see players whos parents were so "Insta-cool" that they christened the wee radge that way.

An Oldco fan that used to report to me called one of his laddies Harris and that almost tipped me over the edge........

And dinnae get me started on "Kris".

😄

I read your first line and thought "i'll respond by just typing" kris""

30 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Who's saying that's the case if it does come about? It's all speculation- therefore, tedium. 

Hoping we do sign him for a few and with the wages the chairman deems to be reasonable.

I don't find it tedious at all. I love all the back room machinations and the numbers side of things, as well as the game on the park. 

I don't expect everyone to, but there's loads of aspects to football that appeal to different people. 

Some people love stats, some love the strips etc. I don't, but different strokes etc... 

2 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

No, 'every transfer is a gamble' is just a nailed on fact. It's nothing to do with 'I want the bestest players.' 

Stevie May, Forrester, Kennedy, Hernandez, Ojo (who we haven't seen a great return on until the last month) James Wilson, who was our marquee DNA signing are all players we've pissed money on. Transfer fees and high wages, sometimes both. 

The only risk with Boyle that one could argue is the fact he's had two knee surgeries, but at the moment he's flying, and he had an excellent season last year, too, the market we shop in, the best young players are very seldom going to want to come to us. We have to look at journeymen, loans and guys with previous injuries. 

We need another option up the top end of the park, and Boyle would be an excellent signing, caring about the finances is one thing, but sucking all the joy out of a potentially exciting transfer with financial chat is just fucking dire.

Boyle is less of a risk than all of the names listed above, and he'd walk into our team at the moment.

Just try enjoy the Glass revolution.

Enjoy your evening, pal. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's weird in the sense that neither Cormack or Glass have given any indication in the last 5 months that we have 500k to splash on a player, never mind a 28 year old journeyman who's just had a flash in the pan season and who's only career consistency is in knee injuries. 

If we actually do have that cash to spend, I'd rather we look at younger players with better potential. 

47 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's weird in the sense that neither Cormack or Glass have given any indication in the last 5 months that we have 500k to splash on a player, never mind a 28 year old journeyman who's just had a flash in the pan season and who's only career consistency is in knee injuries. 

If we actually do have that cash to spend, I'd rather we look at younger players with better potential. 

"Journeyman" - Played for 3 teams his entire career.

"Knee injuries" - Averaging nearly 30 games a season for us.

"Flash in the pan season" - Improved every season for about 5 years.

Other then that, top post champ.

3 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

"Journeyman" - Played for 3 teams his entire career.

"Knee injuries" - Averaging nearly 30 games a season for us.

"Flash in the pan season" - Improved every season for about 5 years.

Other then that, top post champ.

Ach stop it man, I was hoping he would chuck in "one trick pony" and "diving b*****d" again so I got two full bingo cards before his home help intervened.