The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, TheDon99 said:

Hayes is at the airport on the way to Azerbaijan according to the photos/videos that the club have just released. Couldn't see hedges in any of them...

Are the hedges not in Luxemburg?

2 minutes ago, TheDon99 said:

Hayes is at the airport on the way to Azerbaijan according to the photos/videos that the club have just released. Couldn't see hedges in any of them...

Hayes loves wearing a massive protective boot, only to turn up and play the next game.

Is Kennedy there? 

Guest Bob Mahelp

2 things are certain about this hilarity. That Boyle won't be coming to Aberdeen, but also that he and his agent are putting the feelers out for a move. 

It's the classic case of a 28 year old who has been anonymous all of his career, but who now realises that his star will never get higher than it is at this moment and (quite rightly) wants to take advantage of this. 

Aberdeen can't afford to pay big money for Boyle, and I doubt if we can offer him the wages he's (maybe unrealistically) looking for. 

Equally...and I'm pretty sure Hibs as a club know this even if their fans are deluded....there's no way that Boyle will go to any club for any kind of any big money. He's pretty much a one trick pony with little or no record of influencing matches against 'big' teams or in Europe. These types of players have been ten a penny throughout the history of football. 

Nope. The reason this apparent bid is there because Boyle and his agent are putting feelers out. There's no doubt at all that he'll leave HIbs, and almost certainly for a club like Burton or Peterborough, who will give him the wages he wants and are willing to take a punt on a guy who may have had a flash in the pan season. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

10 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

I'm just surprised Aberdeen want to sign a forward who actually scores goals.

That comment is SSSSOOOOO six months old.

ps  do you have players that know basic defending?

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

In the know, or just a hunch?

Not in the know just that they won't sell within Scotland for 500k (quite rightly in my view) and we won't meet the Hibs valuation (also quite rightly in my view).

Perhaps Boyle has indicated to Aberdeen representatives that he wants to return home, and I think at present, he's a tremendous and exciting player. However, his injury record, his age, the fact that he relies on his speed means that any offer where the complete package was upwards of £1 million and a long contract would appear foolhardy.

It would rip into the playing budget, and there would no opportunity to recoup money by selling him on at the end of his contract.

If the contract length was no more than three years, if we made into the Conference League, and if we sold Ferguson for £3 to £4 million then it might become more feasible but even then, I think Hibs would be looking at the very least of upwards of a million. I would think it's unlikely we're breaking our transfer record after the last 18 months or so we've experienced with the restrictions.

We do need experienced players but we I think we've got enough on the books as it stands, I'd much rather see us look for younger players like we did with Ferguson and McLean.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Prioritizing European football over the league cup is Glass smashing his own bottles, crazy decision.

We're the least parochial club in the country.

Winning more European honours than everyone else tells you everything you need to know.

1 minute ago, CCB19035 said:

but I never understand why fans start to get all concerned about finances though, you've got to trust the chairman. 

Oldco fans didn't question it and look what happened to them!

I'm joking, but we spent big in the 1990s and we ended up with 15 years of mostly utter tripe until the Donalds wrote off the debt.

Maybe next time there won't be such a kind benefactor.

I want the club to be successful but not by discarding financial prudence.

1 minute ago, CCB19035 said:

Obviously, but us spending 500K isn't comparable to the money they were spending, even when you talk about relative club size. 

We get linked with a good player, I want us to get him, I don't care what we pay, I trust the chairman not to piss away finances. 

f**k me, how many times did we moan about Milne being a tight arsed c**t? Now we have a guy willing to spend a bit of dosh and folk start getting their calculators out. 

It'll be OK.

Welcome home, Martin Boyle. 

The chairman announced we would pay fees for young Scottish players with a view to selling them on for large figures. 

Paying 7 figures for a 28 year old who's had a few bad injuries in recent years goes against that policy. As good as he is I can't help but feel that fee could probably go towards two-three players who could make a massive difference.

We must have known hibs would laugh at a £500k offer. Makes no sense. With my best tinfoil hat on i've deduced that Boyle's agent is the most likely to benefit from this release clause being widely publicised and we've made this bid as part of a wider arrangement. Fullninety management roster here:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fullninety-sports-management/beraterfirma/berater/3518

Barrie Mckay incoming