The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

11 hours ago, DrewDon said:

You are right, but I'd say the standard of opposition between the two has generally been fairly similar (although with the caveat that the draw this season has been a bit kinder to us than some under McInnes). 

Possibly, but if we were to draw an equivalence between them I’d say the Icelanders would be the worst of the third round teams we faced previously. You could argue Maribor were a bit shit but the likes of sociedad, Almaty, Lisbon, Burnley etc all far better. 

Glass also hasn’t had any scalps like Rijeka and Groningen were. 

Anyway, I’m getting dangerously close to a comparison game which I really don’t like but glass is very early days and done well so far but to say he’s already exceeded mcinnes in Europe was just a bit much for me. 

What frustrates me is that you can still prioritise the Qarabag game without changing THAT many players. Can guys like Ramsay and Ferguson not play twice a week? I understand resting brown and one or two others but the wholesale changes was daft.

On individual results it’s been a good start to the season barring one (but that one single result has cut our chances of winning anything this season in half by mid august) 

I think in fairness to Glass, it looks like he’s been told and the tone from the top is: Euro groups and the money that comes with it is the priority. I just think that’s frustrating from a footballing standpoint and the means to reach that end were too extreme. 

19 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

What frustrates me is that you can still prioritise the Qarabag game without changing THAT many players. Can guys like Ramsay and Ferguson not play twice a week? I understand resting brown and one or two others but the wholesale changes was daft.

On individual results it’s been a good start to the season barring one (but that one single result has cut our chances of winning anything this season in half by mid august) 

I think in fairness to Glass, it looks like he’s been told and the tone from the top is: Euro groups and the money that comes with it is the priority. I just think that’s frustrating from a footballing standpoint and the means to reach that end were too extreme. 

1/4 surely?

Still in the league, Scottish cup and Europa diddy league.

😀

Guest Bob Mahelp

Just checking because I was interested...the last time we lost a Scottish cup tie to a lower league team was in 2010 (against Raith Rovers ironically). The last time we lost a league cup tie to a lower league side was against Hibs in 2015. 

Even though we've had some crap results in cups (Motherwell, St Mirren, Dundee, Hearts all spring to mind), we've been relatively succesful in avoiding 'shocks'. 

23 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I guess the quandry he (and Cormack) have is would you prefer a trophy in the cabinet or money in the bank?  I know which I would prefer.  

Going for the latter may mean another 20 odd year barren spell without lifting something.

I think the changes only mattered so much.  There was enough quality on the pitch yesterday for Aberdeen to muster at least one decent chance.  They didn't do that, other than Jet's goal. 

The players on the pitch really let Glass down.

Guest Bob Mahelp

The pertinent question is, why aren't we investing in the squad with a bit more urgency ? 

Most of us would agree that Glass has brought in some good players (Ramirez, JET, Brown......maybe Gurr not so much), and combined with his heartening willingness to give the likes of Ramsay and Mackenzie a chance, we look to be on the right path. 

But....we seem to have stalled, when it's obvious that we desperately need another striker, creative midfielder (more so now Hedges is fucked once again) and maybe another centre back. 

What we're getting from the clubare statements about 'quality not quantity'. Fair enough, but the fact remains that the club competes in 4 compeitions and we could well be out of 2 of them by the end of August simply because we have absolutely no squad depth. 

Glass needs supported by Cormack. If we're serious about kicking on this season, we need some investment in the team. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I think the changes only mattered so much.  There was enough quality on the pitch yesterday for Aberdeen to muster at least one decent chance.  They didn't do that, other than Jet's goal. 

The players on the pitch really let Glass down.

I don't think it's as black and white as that. Taken as individuals, yes, we had plenty of quality on the field. 

As as team though, this was a disjointed collection of defensive midfielders, aging professionals lacking pace, and a striker who doesn't really strike. 

We were very good at retaining possession and spraying passes sideways. We offered nothing going forward because we didn't have the players available to us to create enough chances. 

The Rovers took a look at things at half time, and realised that all they had to do to us was pretty much exactly the same as Livi on the same type of pitch.....just get the ball forward as fast as possible with long diagonals, and compete for the second ball. 

We couldn't cope with that. 

Some of the business is shit, some good. Such is the way of being an average team. To purely focus on the negatives, the decision to sign Gurr, re-sign McGinn and re-sign Devlin aren’t looking great. McGinn really has to step up in games like yesterday and I don’t recall even seeing him.

Think in the cold light of day we probably just need to move past yesterday. 

Out the cup and losing both hedges and Hayes to injury was probably not how glass saw his squad rotation going. It’s a complete disaster but it’s done and it’s one game. 

I guess the quandry he (and Cormack) have is would you prefer a trophy in the cabinet or money in the bank?  I know which I would prefer.  
Going for the latter may mean another 20 odd year barren spell without lifting something.

£5million in the bank should, in theory, put us in a better position to win trophies in future.

19 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

Some of the business is shit, some good. Such is the way of being an average team. To purely focus on the negatives, the decision to sign Gurr, re-sign McGinn and re-sign Devlin aren’t looking great. McGinn really has to step up in games like yesterday and I don’t recall even seeing him.

He set up the goal didn't he? Was a really nice touch, probably just as good as the finish.

Not that I'm arguing against the general point of him needing to do better. So far this looks like one season too many for Mcginn but I can see why they probably thought he was worth keeping on short term.

Just now, Rodhull said:

He set up the goal didn't he? Was a really nice touch, probably just as good as the finish.

Not that I'm arguing against the general point of him needing to do better. So far this looks like one season too many for Mcginn but I can see why they probably thought he was worth keeping on short term.

Unfortunately the game is 90 mins long. Yes his assist was lovely but he was woeful aside from that.

Fair point, completely forgot the assist. But yes, he was anonymous for the remainder of the match. Or I’m very forgetful. Maybe both.

The difference in having the 2 young full backs in the team was more noticeable than ever yesterday by their absence. 
They are the biggest difference for me from last season.

The team can flit between a 3-5-2 and a back 4 with ease because of their qualities on the flanks.

I reckon it will be a 3-5-2 (3-4-2-1 or whatever)on Thursday as it seems to suit McCrorie better as 1 of 3 centre half’s and it’s going to have to be a top class defensive display. 

First real good look at Jenks yesterday for me as I wasn’t at Livi.

Underwhelmed. Every single time he got the all he chose the safe option. Was hoping he would be the midfielder that takes a touch then a quick turn and gets away from his man which then creates space for others but no sign of anything like that.