The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

On 03/08/2021 at 21:17, Raidernation said:

How about a Colts B team? Best of both worlds shirley?

I think a B Colts team would be better.

Of course, in the old days, they were called A teams.

16 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Why?

He’s 8th choice centre mid & 4th choice right back. 

He’s 22. If you’re not good enough by now, you’re not going to be. 

Aye, the usual football manager experts on Facebook absolutely pishing themselves over this.

Realistically, I can think of probably 1 player released since the start of the McInnes era that has gone on to a vaguely decent standard (Clark Robertson).

7 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Aye, the usual football manager experts on Facebook absolutely pishing themselves over this.

Realistically, I can think of probably 1 player released since the start of the McInnes era that has gone on to a vaguely decent standard (Clark Robertson).

The lad could become brilliant but can anyone really suggest a player he should be ahead of without the reason being because they don't rate that other player?

He's had three managers here (Sheerin included) and none of them felt he was good enough to start.

Probably need add Shankland and O'Shaughnessy to that list as well. Daniel Harvie as well maybe.
Overall though I'd agree with you, a lot players like Frank Ross, Craig Storie, Declan McManus and even Cammy Smith have been released by the club at a similar age after showing promise and not made us regret it.

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Why?

He’s 8th choice centre mid & 4th choice right back. 

He’s 22. If you’re not good enough by now, you’re not going to be. 

Aye but look at Shankla................ 

Yeah but John Stew............

That boy Declan McMan............

Nevermind

2 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Michael Rose is playing in the Championship with Coventry. 

Edited by betting competition

14 minutes ago, TheDon99 said:

Probably need add Shankland and O'Shaughnessy to that list as well. Daniel Harvie as well maybe.
Overall though I'd agree with you, a lot players like Frank Ross, Craig Storie, Declan McManus and even Cammy Smith have been released by the club at a similar age after showing promise and not made us regret it.

I wouldn't class English League One, Dundee Utd, or St Mirren as a vaguely decent standard though to be fair. 😉

I had forgotten about Michael Rose @betting competition, although to be fair 2 out of what must be...50...100 youth players released in the last decade....not a bad ratio.

Edited by Illgresi

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

This is the only one I agree with. Robertson had numerous chances under a couple of managers and didn't step up.

Rose played poorly once and that was it.

The issue with Rose was that he came through at the same time as McKenna. There was absolutely no way in hell McInnes was going to play two youth centre backs together (and in fairness few managers would), so he obviously cleared out the one he felt had least potential. Time will tell if he was right or not.

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

The lad could become brilliant

From memory he seemed like a decent, but limited, Championship player last season so I was surprised he was still with you for the start of this season.

Unluckily for you I think he's well suited to a side like Hamilton, who'll expect plenty of effort/fight, but won't care too much about on the ball stuff. So you'll inevitably see Hamilton fans raving about him and your fans will moan about him "never getting a chance".

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

From memory he seemed like a decent, but limited, Championship player last season so I was surprised he was still with you for the start of this season.

Unluckily for you I think he's well suited to a side like Hamilton, who'll expect plenty of effort/fight, but won't care too much about on the ball stuff. So you'll inevitably see Hamilton fans raving about him and your fans will moan about him "never getting a chance".

There are Aberdeen fans already moaning about him never getting a chance because "he absolutely bossed it with Arbroath"...

Nae offence to Arbroath, but I expect a bit more than that. Ultimately, as above that's 3 managers now that have seen him in training virtually every day during the season. He might be great for Arbroath and Hamilton, but if he's not displacing Brown, Ferguson, Ojo, McGeouch, Campbell by now...

59 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

The issue with Rose was that he came through at the same time as McKenna. There was absolutely no way in hell McInnes was going to play two youth centre backs together (and in fairness few managers would), so he obviously cleared out the one he felt had least potential. Time will tell if he was right or not.

That's fair enough but surely worth another season but out on loan when you saw us keeping Rogers on for what felt like a decade?

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah you are spot on there tbh. I think he was given the year as Glass wanted to see everyone and it was relatively low risk.

He'll be strolling the Premier League for St Johnstone when it's Sheerin's turn.

18 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

That's fair enough but surely worth another season but out on loan when you saw us keeping Rogers on for what felt like a decade?

Totally agree pal, but it's not just down to the club. Rose might have preferred a permanent move instead of a loan.