The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Ive actually seen two folk, unbelievably, claiming that Hacken are a tougher opponent than Austria Vienna or Breidablik

They are tougher than Breidablik.

They shouldn’t be as good as Austria Vienna - but then there’s the whole issue of the timing of the fixture.

Häcken probably aren’t as good as Viking Stavanger, but the team had half a dozen matches behind them before beating them on their own patch in a one-off tie.

37 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

You can add me to that list. This week's tie with Hacken is tougher.

Austria Vienna are a tough opponent but hopefully we can beat them both. Positivity. 

1 hour ago, d31 said:

Austria Vienna are a tough opponent

What are you basing that on? Do you have the inside track on them because there's nothing to suggest in their recent league form or their current squad that we have anything to fear?

Indeed, this appears to be  a very good opportunity for us to progress through both rounds. Whether we will even go past one round is another matter but, on paper, both Hacken and Austria Vienna look winnable ties for a fully functioning Aberdeen team.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

What are you basing that on? Do you have the inside track on them because there's nothing to suggest in their recent league form or their current squad that we have anything to fear?

Indeed, this appears to be  a very good opportunity for us to progress through both rounds. Whether we will even go past one round is another matter but, on paper, both Hacken and Austria Vienna look winnable ties for a fully functioning Aberdeen team.

There's the issue. Nobody knows yet if this is a fully functioning Aberdeen team or not. 

What we've got is a mixture of new players and last season's failures, having had a couple of kick arounds to try and adjust to the style of play that Glass wants (but nobody really knows what that is yet).

The more I think about it, the more I think it'll be an impressive achievement to come through this first round tie. 

On 19/07/2021 at 07:52, big al said:

We are going to give it a try on Thursday. The test is the easy part IMO, not sure if they will be strict about sitting with a mask on for the whole game outside. I don’t agree with this part especially if you have shown a negative test. If this is strictly adhered to and it’s crap I won’t be back until this is relaxed.

Yes, I don’t agree with most of the measures and it feels like something which would have been required last year to attend a game. No point complaining too much about it though. We have decided to give it a go and if we don’t enjoy it, we will just revert to watching via a stream.

I would say whatever happens in the next fortnight, it’s incumbent on the support not to leap to conclusions whatever happens. We will be undercooked and it is a new side, there is no getting away from it. It’s just a case of whether we can assemble two performances to get ourselves through. 

It only sets the tone for glass’ reign if people decide it does. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I would say whatever happens in the next fortnight, it’s incumbent on the support not to leap to conclusions whatever happens. We will be undercooked and it is a new side, there is no getting away from it. It’s just a case of whether we can assemble two performances to get ourselves through. 

It only sets the tone for glass’ reign if people decide it does. 

I agree with this in principle, but it's a tricky one. 

The Dons under McInnes had gone stale, but despite perceptions I still believe he left us with a sound base in the squad. This is not the same rudderless shambles that McInnes inherited and immediately improved. 

Whereas the idea of giving Glass time sounds good, football doesn't really work that way. It'll be absolutely incumbent on him to put a team together that don't just hit the ground running, but play good football in the process. That's tough.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think we'll see a patient Aberdeen support if things don't go to plan. 50% of the support didn't want McInnes sacked and replaced with the Chairman's wholly inexperienced pal. The other 50% just wanted McInnes out and replaced with anybody. 

Love him or hate him, the fact is though that McInnes raised expectations of what is expected from Aberdeen. Glass has to meet, then exceed these expectations. 

I hope for the best under Glass, but I fear the worst. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The Dons under McInnes had gone stale, but despite perceptions I still believe he left us with a sound base in the squad. This is not the same rudderless shambles that McInnes inherited and immediately improved. 

Whereas the idea of giving Glass time sounds good, football doesn't really work that way. It'll be absolutely incumbent on him to put a team together that don't just hit the ground running, but play good football in the process. That's tough.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think we'll see a patient Aberdeen support if things don't go to plan. 50% of the support didn't want McInnes sacked and replaced with the Chairman's wholly inexperienced pal. The other 50% just wanted McInnes out and replaced with anybody. 

Love him or hate him, the fact is though that McInnes raised expectations of what is expected from Aberdeen. Glass has to meet, then exceed these expectations. 

My point was about judgement being made after one game. 

That doesn’t mean a lowering of expectations, just a recognition that football doesn’t work the way a lot of people would like it to. 

I have reservations about glass, the current squad and even DC but I take it upon myself to be fair to them. 

I agree that we’re unlikely to have a patient support though. 

8 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Tickets all gone?

Trying to buy online this morning but it doesn’t appear any are left

Think they just tweeted they've gone on general sale with just groups of 2 and 4 left?

56 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That’s a great post. 

Almost every other new AFC manager in the last 25 years took over a shambles and was therefore afforded a level of patience. Glass, whilst not exactly inherited a shambles, will not be afforded that luxury 

Edited by Afc69

58 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I agree 100%.
What I think goes against Stephen Glass is the disingenuous comments Cormack made about a “prawcess”.

I really don’t think there was one.

As soon as the Atlanta links were forged, I, & many others saw the appointment coming.

To be fair to Glass, he’s not been fully backed yet, as we’re a few players short, you’d have thought Cormack would properly back his man.

My gut feel is that he won’t cut it.

I really hope I’m wrong & he is seen as an inspired appointment, but I suspect we may be looking for a new manager in 12-18 months.