The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

It's more or less off field duties though.

A captain leads by example on the pitch if he's doing the job right and the positive effect that good captain can have on his team was epitomised in Euro2020 by Giorgio Chiellini.

Did you ever see Willie Miller play for Aberdeen?

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

A captain leads by example on the pitch if he's doing the job right and the positive effect that good captain can have on his team was epitomised in Euro2020 by Giorgio Chiellini.

Did you ever see Willie Miller play for Aberdeen?

What evidence is there of the positive effect a captains performance had on his teammates? Seems hard to imagine his teammates having any different reaction to Chiellini's good performances depending on whether he was captain or not.

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Would we receive a development fee if he joins a side in England.

I thought it was only if he signed for another Scottish team?

I can never remember the details of this but I think we got something when Archie Mair signed for Norwich and I think Motherwell did for Campbell going to Luton so possibly. Obviously not much I guess.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

What evidence is there of the positive effect a captains performance had on his teammates? Seems hard to imagine his teammates having any different reaction to Chiellini's good performances depending on whether he was captain or not.

3 of the worst captains I can remember were handed the armband simply as an incentive to get them to sign a new contract. 

Foster, Jack and Lewis. All of them uninspiring leaders. I also reckon that pretty much every succesful football club the world over has/has had a captain who leads. 

Just saying like. 

7 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Sdrammatizzare

9 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Would we receive a development fee if he joins a side in England.

I thought it was only if he signed for another Scottish team?

Assuming you offered him a contract then yes, you get a development fee. No idea why you'd think it was only if he signed for another Scottish team.

We got £500k from Leeds for Erwin, we negotiated a fee from Luton for Campbell.

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

3 of the worst captains I can remember were handed the armband simply as an incentive to get them to sign a new contract. 

Foster, Jack and Lewis. All of them uninspiring leaders. I also reckon that pretty much every succesful football club the world over has/has had a captain who leads. 

Just saying like. 

And yet moving from a poor captain in Jack to a good captain in Shinnie didn't make much of a difference in the clubs success or moving on to another poor captain in Lewis either.

I'm not arguing over who was or wasn't a good captain as unless a captain does something to majorly f**k up I don't think the fans are in much of a position to judge.

I just don't think someone being a 'good captain' is the boost to the whole team that people make it out to be. It seems to be a largely UK belief whereas abroad they often just give it to the best player in the team whether they're the run about shouting or beat the chest type or not.

15 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

It seems to be a largely UK belief whereas abroad they often just give it to the best player in the team whether they're the run about shouting or beat the chest type or not.

I've just gave you an example of Chiellini. Simon Kjaer is another great example of player from "abroad" that thinks about the captaincy role and it's extra responsibilities.

And, coincidentally, I think England currently have a very poor captain.

Joe Lewis didn't seem to grow into the role. In fact, the only difference was that he was wearing an armband. I don't believe it hampered his game any because I don't think he gave the captaincy a second thought. He just wasn't a captain and McInnes should've recognised that before he appointed him captain.

A captain has different ways of leading for example. Scott Brown's way was to play the pantomime villain, take the heat, and let his teammates go largely unnoticed. A good captain... 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

15 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I've just gave you an example of Chiellini. Simon Kjaer is another great example of player from "abroad" that thinks about the captaincy role and it's extra responsibilities.

Joe Lewis didn't seem to grow into the role. In fact, the only difference was that he was wearing an armband. I don't believe it hampered his game any because I don't think he gave the captaincy a second thought. He just wasn't a captain and McInnes should've recognised that before he appointed him captain.

A captain has different ways of leading for example. Scott Brown's way was to play the pantomime villain, take the heat, and let his teammates go largely unnoticed. A good captain... 

Yeah and Chiellini didn't get the Juve and Italy captaincy until the last 2 or 3 years. Was he a less inspiring player to his teammates before that. If Brown hadn't been given the captaincy role would his style have changed this season? Or the amount of attention he got? 

And not to make light of Kjaer and the general Eriksen situation but would he have been mentioned if one of his teammates hadn't almost died on the pitch? He obviously handled that really well but would anyone know how good captain he was besides that, basing it off one public incident rather than his 'performance' as captain long term. He isn't his clubs captain. Does that mean Romagnoli is necessarily that much better a good captain than he is?

My more general and less rambly point is that it's pretty much intangible what makes a good captain and how much of an effect it actually has on the team and I think people just see what they want to depending on the current circumstances.

Edited by Rodhull

Oh and changing subject I hadn't realised Gallagher was suspended for the first European game. Explains why they stuck with Considine and McCrorie in the last game. 

Would have thought he might get some game time though. Hopefully there's some kind of bounce game he and others can get before the second leg to at least have a bit of game time.

Oh and changing subject I hadn't realised Gallagher was suspended for the first European game. Explains why they stuck with Considine and McCrorie in the last game.

I never realised that either - evidently sent off for Motherwell in their 3-0 defeat in Beer-Sheva last season, same night Dons were in Lisbon.

Typical.

2 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Yeah and Chiellini didn't get the Juve and Italy captaincy until the last 2 or 3 years. Was he a less inspiring player to his teammates before that. If Brown hadn't been given the captaincy role would his style have changed this season? Or the amount of attention he got? 

And not to make light of Kjaer and the general Eriksen situation but would he have been mentioned if one of his teammates hadn't almost died on the pitch? He obviously handled that really well but would anyone know how good captain he was besides that, basing it off one public incident rather than his 'performance' as captain long term. He isn't his clubs captain. Does that mean Romagnoli is necessarily that much better a good captain than he is?

My more general and less rambly point is that it's pretty much intangible what makes a good captain and how much of an effect it actually has on the team and I think people just see what they want to depending on the current circumstances.

Ryan Jack inspired us to our best season for years. Finished second in all competitions to the best Scottish team there has been for years.

Or it could just be that we had a team of professionals who didn't need anyone to lead by example.

11 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Ryan Jack inspired us to our best season for years. Finished second in all competitions to the best Scottish team there has been for years.

Or it could just be that we had a team of professionals who didn't need anyone to lead by example.

Maybe we would have won a trophy or two that season if we had a good captain like the opposition with the greatest ever team in living memory that you speak of...

I should add that Scott Brown being a good Celtic captain won't necessarily make him a good Aberdeen captain. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Maybe we would have won a trophy or two that season if we had a good captain like the opposition with the greatest ever team in living memory that you speak of...

I should add that Scott Brown being a good Celtic captain won't necessarily make him a good Aberdeen captain. 

Nonsense like that is why you're normally ignored.