The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I can only remember games against us, but always felt like Aberdeen were just utterly clinical on the counter. If you lost the ball while attacking Aberdeen, then you were almost certainly conceding a chance.

Half wonder in retrospect if McInnes simply struggled to figure out how to break sides down when teams stopped giving Aberdeen space in these situations?

@Dons_1988 nailed it. We were fantastic on the counter. As soon as teams cottoned on to that Pawlett was finished at Aberdeen.

He's had to change the style of play several times. Unfortunately that's where we've got to now.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Not just that. Hayes, McGinn and Rooney were at the height of their powersin then first few years McInnes was there.

Get the ball out to either wing, whip in a cross and there was a fair chance Rooney would stick it in the net. Between 2014-2017 when all 3 were firing, we were a very good side. 

We then had to go through one of many re-inventions at the end of the 2017 season and basically haven't been the same team since. McInnes tried quite a few players to re-create the danger that the 3 named above posed but it rarely worked. 

We scored 74 goals in the 2016/17 season, and we scored 40 last season. 

It's massively frustrating that we didn't take advantage of a poor Celtic side in the years before Rodgers took over. These were truly chances lost. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

7 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We scored 74 goals in the 2016/17 season, and we scored 40 last season. 

This is the league season which goes unnoticed really. 

76 points in total, a record which I don't see being beaten by anyone outwith Celtic and Rangers for quite some time. 39+ goal difference too with 24 wins out of our 38 games. 

There were some absolute demolitions dished out that season. 

22 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Aye, it's acknowledged and referenced in terms of particular games. 

I was looking at it more from a statistical point of view where some of the stats are somewhat of an outlier. 

Nah it does get mentioned a lot. 16/17 widely recognised as peak Derek.

Cormack seems the flamboyant type that would want to appoint a left field name. He'll want to catch folk off guard. If so, Maloney would be much more appealing then Glass. First team coach for the Belgium National side and is currently being mentored by Roberto Martinez. Coaching experience at Celtic and has played for some big clubs during his career. He's obviously well informed of the players and leagues in Scotland. Likewise in England and will have a fair few contacts for sourcing players. His reputation as a player and coach could help attract a certain calibre of player to Aberdeen. Maloney has declared his interest too.

I'd much prefer we took the safe route and hire one of Goodwin or Robinson. I think either of them would do well with the resources Aberdeen have to offer and would continue the good work of McInnes. 

7 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Cormack seems the flamboyant type that would want to appoint a left field name. He'll want to catch folk off guard. If so, Maloney would be much more appealing then Glass. First team coach for the Belgium National side and is currently being mentored by Roberto Martinez. Coaching experience at Celtic and has played for some big clubs during his career. He's obviously well informed of the players and leagues in Scotland. Likewise in England and will have a fair few contacts for sourcing players. His reputation as a player and coach could help attract a certain calibre of player to Aberdeen. Maloney has declared his interest too.

I still think it will be Glass. Aberdeen are skint and Atlanta already have far too much influence.

That would be a terrible appointment.

Maloney would be interesting if he had an experienced assistant manager alongside 

I think it was the wrong call to bin McInnes at this stage of the season. Football wise at least, maybe commercially, with an eye on Season tickets i can understand it. 

Binning McInnes without a replacement just seems like madness. 

^^

I know, unpopular opinions thread for this pish. 

I just don't see who it benefits to allow Aberdeen to regress into mid-table, pre-McInnes mediocrity – neither Atlanta nor Cormack would gain anything from that. So I'm not quite so pessimistic, I don't think that we will be hiring a reserve team manager and becoming an Atlanta feeder team. It just wouldn't make sense for either team and would just cause more headaches for Cormack. This is a guy that named the state of the art training facility after himself, he wants to be associated with quality. Things like freshening up RedTV and bringing in well known professionals in Rob Maclean and Derek Rae. The goal is to be pushing the top 2. You don't get that with an untried manager and a team of Jon Gallaghers.

If it's Glass, it must be as a (more expendable) first team coach with an established sporting director/DoF above him. Presumably in that setup it's easier to change things up and bring in a new coach if things aren't going well, than it is to pay off a management team.

I'm probably wrong though, I usually am

There is a really good interview with Derek Rae on the latest Here We Go! podcast where he speaks in more depth about the Sporting Director model, especially how it is used in Germany. If there is a structural change, and we do go down the route of appointing a Sporting Director or a Director of Football, that is probably the more important and more urgent appointment than the Head Coach. It is definitely worth a listen, anyway. 

10 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I would be shocked if Shaun Maloney or Darren Fletcher left their current roles to manage us.

I see Fletcher has just been promoted to technical director at Man United also.

Maloney has expressed an interest in the Aberdeen job according to the journalist Scott Burns.

Guest Bob Mahelp
14 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

McMaster is pretty much correct. 

He's absolutely right about the winning mentality. It goes back to that semi-final at Ibrox when we had our foot on St Johnsone's throat at 1-0 up, with a final against the Arabs beckoning and a golden chance to win 2 trophies on one season. The team couldn't get the second goal and the rest is history. 

The next couple of seasons we had at various points weak cup capitulations to the likes of Dundee United, Dundee, Hibs and Hearts....all at a time where teams like Falkirk, Ross County and ICT were getting to finals and the Scottish cup was being won by a lower league side. 

On top of that, on the 2nd January 2015 we were top of the league. A lack of ambition in the transfer window and a lack of believe within the club led to Celtic eventually winning the league by 17 points. 

All of the above, golden chances missed because of a lack of a winning mentality. Another couple of trophies would have made McInnes a club legend.

McMaster is wrong about one thing though....Ash Taylor. He's been generally excellent since he came back to the club....much better than his first spell.