The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Some of the names near the bottom of this made me laugh. Nwakali, for me, has to go down as our worst player of the McInnes years - his 'performance' at Hampden against Motherwell before feigning injury was genuinely like watching a fan plucked from the street. 

On a more positive note, McGinn probably the most important over a sustained period of time; Considine the most improved and arguably consistent; and we really never recovered from the loss of McLean - his performances in the second halves of his final two seasons with us were absolutely integral in finishing second those years. 

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

Some of the names near the bottom of this made me laugh. Nwakali, for me, has to go down as our worst player of the McInnes years - his 'performance' at Hampden against Motherwell before feigning injury was genuinely like watching a fan plucked from the street. 

On a more positive note, McGinn probably the most important over a sustained period of time; Considine the most improved and arguably consistent; and we really never recovered from the loss of McLean - his performances in the second halves of his final two seasons with us were absolutely integral in finishing second those years. 

I know he’s had a lot of injuries but I was still surprised to see guys like Vyner, Hector etc to have played more minutes than Mcgeough.

32 minutes ago, AJF said:

Ah, I see. If that's the angle they were going for there, fair play. It wasn't obvious to me. I thought it had some relevance to relegation somehow.

Not the angle i would have gone for in relation to your post. 

I'd have explained that the rules governing the competition were known to all competitors at the start and applying them fairly was in no way a technicality. I'm sure i could make this a dig at Rangers too but I'm too sad about Derek and can't be bothered. 

6 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Doesnt need to be a criminal - You have heard of James Anderson?

True.

But this shit of him being a massive Hearts fan is clearly a lie.

Why did he never come in to save them from the Robinson era? Romanov coming in and then almost liquidating them? When they were a few days from going bust he did nothing when Budge came in.

Hardly seems the acts of a super rich massive fan

16 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:
16 hours ago, G51 said:
This is an area where xG is a genuinely useful tool.
Since the 2-0 win against Motherwell up until the Celtic game at the end of February, Aberdeen had a cumulative xG of 6.74. So for those matches, Aberdeen should have scored somewhere between 6 and 7 goals but only scored one.
This is very likely to correct itself in the short term as luck evens out, so Aberdeen fans should probably expect to see more goals soon which will be put down to the "new manager bounce".
Having said that though, an average xG per match of 0.84 is really poor, so while Aberdeen should have scored more they still weren't creating at the level they had previously in the season.

Thanks G51, very interesting use of xG. What it shows is that our biggest issue isn't the strikers but rather the lack of chance creation from Hayes, McGinn, Ferguson, McLennan and Kennedy to name a few. Anyone who sat through the second half on Saturday which Tarapoa kindly described as purgatory will recognise that issue very clearly shown by xG.

Big team found...

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Killie finished above you in 2018/19 - surely that counts as bettering you?

And the second point is also false, because we also have a better record against Rangers in that period. In the league, Aberdeen are P18 W3 D4 L11 and Killie are P17 W5 D5 L7 . Even if you extend that to all competitions, it's P21 W5 D5 L11 for Aberdeen and P20 W5 D6 L9 for Killie.

Yes, but that's one season, not seven.

Just read about 20 + pages there, very interesting. A lot of very good, well constructed, well researched posts and generally speaking a very respectful discussion (bar the usual tragic trolls).