The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

But McKenna shouldn't go into this with his eyes shut. Forest are in free-fall at the moment with 4 straight defeats and 9 games without a win. Their signing policy is erratic to say the least, and this might not be the move that will further his career the way he hopes.

Word is that Eddie Howe may be their manager this time next week.

He's probably had his fill of soccer mercenaries from the east of Scotland.

So... McKenna will plug the financial gap and leave us in as good a financial position as we can possibly be all things considered.

Based on what we saw yesterday would you be happy going forward with what we have? Would you entertain selling Cosgrove too and getting in a defender who can also play out from the back more comfortably than what we have? 

We'd be selling our only real goal scorer but playing the 3-4-3 without him it looked like goals could come from anywhere.

Having enjoyed the football against Hibs, Killie and Viking my heart says yes but the pragmatic in me thinks we should keep Cosgrove and see if we can squeeze him in. Even if this does mean hoofball.

Edited by Merkland Red

I wonder if part of the appeal of the 3-4-3 to McInnes is basically avoiding playing full-backs. At right-back, Logan is past his best and Hernandez obviously isn't where he would have wanted him to be by now; on the left, Considine has been a steady option there but will become increasingly limited and playing Hayes as a full-back would perhaps stop him from influencing things further up the park as often as he would like. 3-4-3 has essentially allowed him to squeeze as many of his most threatening and creative attack-minded players on the pitch as possible, when they have all been fit - Kennedy and Hayes as wing-backs, with Hedges and Wright supporting Watkins.

What happens now with McKenna going, I'm not sure - as has been said, I'm far from convinced by Taylor in a three (especially with Considine there too) and having to move McCrorie there means we are disrupting what has looked an effective and promising partnership with Ferguson. 

23 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I wonder if part of the appeal of the 3-4-3 to McInnes is basically avoiding playing full-backs. At right-back, Logan is past his best and Hernandez obviously isn't where he would have wanted him to be by now; on the left, Considine has been a steady option there but will become increasingly limited and playing Hayes as a full-back would perhaps stop him from influencing things further up the park as often as he would like. 3-4-3 has essentially allowed him to squeeze as many of his most threatening and creative attack-minded players on the pitch as possible, when they have all been fit - Kennedy and Hayes as wing-backs, with Hedges and Wright supporting Watkins.

What happens now with McKenna going, I'm not sure - as has been said, I'm far from convinced by Taylor in a three (especially with Considine there too) and having to move McCrorie there means we are disrupting what has looked an effective and promising partnership with Ferguson. 

That's a fair shout regarding the full backs.

Surely a young loan defender from England with no fee involved, just pay part of his wages,  is on the cards when McKenna goes?

Puts a fair reliance on Hoban now, needs an injury free season. 

Ferguson was schooled yesterday, and is the reason why nobody has really come in for him yet. A fair bit improvement to go yet if he is to get to the top. 

10 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Papers were saying none of it goes towards a replacement as we signed McCrorie knowing McKenna would be off.

Bad news if true but the papers print any old shite, so I'll not take their word for it. That said, sounds plausible unfortunately. 

36 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Don't watch the mince down south is Lindsay no getting a game at Stoke?

From wiki 

Lindsay kept his spot in the team until Michael O'Neill brought in James Chester in January and he took Lindsay's place for the remainder of the 2019–20 season.[38]

In August 2020 he was linked with a transfer away from the club, to Sheffield Wednesday or Huddersfield Town.[39]

Now that the powers that be in Scottish football have finally used strict liability against two clubs, Aberdeen and Celtic, I now expect this to continue when fans are allowed back into grounds. This would obviously mean a fine for Celtic and Rangers after every away match that they play, and the odd fine or two for clubs whose fans indulge in a bit of the same when playing these two clubs.

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Now that the powers that be in Scottish football have finally used strict liability against two clubs, Aberdeen and Celtic, I now expect this to continue when fans are allowed back into grounds. This would obviously mean a fine for Celtic and Rangers after every away match that they play, and the odd fine or two for clubs whose fans indulge in a bit of the same when playing these two clubs.

"... then kingjoey woke up..." 

16 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

E43AAB8D-BDB2-4B65-8A2A-BF1E48FDAE78.gif

6 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

£5 million all in with a sizeable sell on is a great bit of business tbh 

I thought it was rumoured that Swansea were going to bid £6m for him a couple of years ago but Aberdeen wanted £10m. Was that just paper talk?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aberdeens-scott-mckenna-back-swansea-14971985

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I thought it was rumoured that Swansea were going to bid £6m for him a couple of years ago but Aberdeen wanted £10m. Was that just paper talk?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aberdeens-scott-mckenna-back-swansea-14971985

Highest fee I've seen mentioned was the 6 or so million that Aston Villa supposedly offered but was a loan with option to buy type deal.

Never seen Aberdeen talking about wanting 10 million for him. Even at the time when he wa being hyped the most I don't think it got close to that.