The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Game of throw-ins said:

I don't know any more than anyone else, but my first thought was that he'd presumably be in breach of his contract if he didn't turn up for pre-season training.  He may just be here to protect his contractual rights until some sort of termination agreement is reached.

Aye I get all that , just feel he’s been away for well over a month and pretty depressed for couple more ,  So ye would  have thought his agent would have  been sorting something out for over there ,  so he didn’t have come back even for pre season .    Also been plenty time for termination agreements etc be sorted . But we’ll know one way other when Jim speaks this week .  

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Not sure what anyone expects. This is the market we're in.

The Russian mob Novogard (or whatever they call themselves) were in for him in January so somebody must think he's half decent.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Not sure what anyone expects. This is the market we're in.

Scoring records are a bit dodgy to look at imo. Maybe the way his team plays doesn't suit him. If this is a Mowbray signing i'd be more confident it's a good signing. He seems to have an eye for a player. I can't remember the last striker we signed that had an excellent or even good scoring rwcord when we signed him. Even Ramirez recent scoring record wasn't anything to write home about and he done ok until he spat the dummy out over Glass. 

Hoping we can get Miovski over the line aswell. He's one i really think could do well. 

6 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Sam Cosgrove had scored ONE goal for Carlisle when he signed for us.

From what I can see his career stats at 70 goals in 171 games. Yes some have been in the lower leagues of Norway but he's a striker with a better than 1 in 3 scoring ratio. You can only score against the teams you are put in front of after all. I'd much rather a signing like this than signing some no mark from EFL2 that can't get a game or has a horrendous injury record. 

Having said all of this, signing strikers makes f**k all difference unless we give them service. And it's the area we've failed badly on since January. So by all means sign strikers. But also sign a creative midfielder and no10 AFC. For the love of god. 

18 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Having said all of this, signing strikers makes f**k all difference unless we give them service. And it's the area we've failed badly on since January. So by all means sign strikers. But also sign a creative midfielder and no10 AFC. For the love of god. 

Exactly, I agree with the misconceptions that can be garnered just by looking at scoring records and also your point about the need for creativity in midfield and between the midfield and strikers.

I'm excited by the thought of us signing the Norwegian and the Macedonian but we need those supply lines functioning which they really haven't been for a good couple of seasons.

Also, although I'm very much enjoying this new approach of looking at other markets, I would still like to see that policy complemented with players signed that have experienced the Scottish game for a couple of seasons or more.

In the back of my mind, I just remember Skovdahl bring in Guntviet, Solberg, Zero, Belabed, Stavrum. Kjaer and Bisconti and it didn't quite work....although in saying that, it was mixed with  inexperienced Scottish lads and  shite senior pros in Derek Whyte and Robbie Winters (although he's God in Bergen).

I also still think we can get a tune out of Matty Kennedy if he's surrounded by good players playing in a more attack minded team.

1 minute ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Exactly, I agree with the misconceptions that can be garnered just by looking at scoring records and also your point about the need for creativity in midfield and between the midfield and strikers.

I'm excited by the thought of us signing the Norwegian and the Macedonian but we need those supply lines functioning which they really haven't been for a good couple of seasons.

Also, although I'm very much enjoying this new approach of looking at other markets, I would still like to see that policy complemented with players signed that have experienced the Scottish game for a couple of seasons or more.

In the back of my mind, I just remember Skovdahl bring in Guntviet, Solberg, Zero, Belabed, Stavrum. Kjaer and Bisconti and it didn't quite work....although in saying that, it was mixed with  inexperienced Scottish lads and  shite senior pros in Derek Whyte and Robbie Winters (although he's God in Bergen).

I also still think we can get a tune out of Matty Kennedy if he's surrounded by good players playing in a more attack minded team.

Too many people look at assists too.

Would be interesting to see some players stats if you took in to account the pass before the assist. Like they do in the NHL.

6 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

The one Scottish player i would like to see us go after is Jay Henderson from St Mirren. I think he looks a cracking player. I look at all the other teams in the top flight and outwith the obvious 2 and Hibs and Hearts there aren't (for me anyway) any players that jump out that we could realistically get who would improve the squad. Mind you i never heard of Lewis Ferguson before he signed. 😂  

10 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Too many people look at assists too.

Would be interesting to see some players stats if you took in to account the pass before the assist. Like they do in the NHL.

WyScout call them "second assists".

Lauritsen doesn't have any this season or last, but strikers rarely seem to tbh.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lauritsen doesn't have any this season or last, but strikers rarely seem to tbh.

Was in regards to midfielders. Barron, Ferguson etc. Deeper players who dictate play and often go unnoticed.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

whats the stat attack for big Toby? Is he decent or a diddy?