The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

Mate of mine is a photographer. He's been asked to take some photos at Cormack Park later today.....

My expectation: A new, exciting, twenty-goals-a-season centre-forward. 

The reality: Dave Cormack recreating the David Brent photoshoot for the club website. 

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I responded to one poster who made precisely that point.

Indeed, and that one poster is the only one to make precisely that point...but you want to start coming away with  "The Giants of Aberdeen" patter like, as a support, we think we're too good the League Cup group stages.

Aberdeen supporters will turn out in healthy numbers for these games.

5 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Only one person has claimed the group stages are irrelevant. It's doesn't seem to be a widespread opinion among Aberdeen fans but maybe @VincentGuerin wants to believe it is

I agree it’s only one person but it does need emphasised that it isn’t the broad view of dons fans. 

Just now, Bogbrush1903 said:

Indeed, and that one poster is the only one to make precisely that point...but you want to start coming away with  "The Giants of Aberdeen" patter like, as a support, we think we're too good the League Cup group stages.

Aberdeen supporters will turn out in healthy numbers for these games.

Well, in reference to what that poster said, the 'Giants of Aberdeen' response was quite fair.

I mean, read the laddie's posts. 😀

You are aware that this is a messageboard where people write things and other people reply to them?

Your boy wrote something, and I replied to him. You may want to take a wee breather.

Indeed, I'm aware of how a messageboard works, and you have typed things, and I'm replying to them

Ok. But have you been clear about whether you are replying only to me, the writer of the message you are replying to, or indeed to all Hearts supporters?

It's very important to me that you clear this up. By replying to the message that I am now typing (have typed by the time you read it).

Please reply below, as is good messageboard form.

I think you are replying to all Hearts supporters and am outraged by this.

22 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

But we made it into Europe last season too, and Hibs didn't make the Top 6 this season let alone Europe, just like us.

So we've got four figure attendance teams in Dundee Untied and Motherwell in Europe.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Aberdeen fans should be expecting to finish above both?

But lets see how the Hearts juggernaut cope with two games a week up until the World Cup break...

Expectation came from the 3rd biggest budget also but how will that compare this season?

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Ok. But have you been clear about whether you are replying only to me, the writer of the message you are replying to, or indeed to all Hearts supporters?

It's very important to me that you clear this up. By replying to the message that I am now typing (have typed by the time you read it).

Please reply below, as is good messageboard form.

I think you are replying to all Hearts supporters and am outraged by this.

That post has a very childlike tone...I'm always suspicious of people that use am instead of I'm

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I refer you to the 'I' at the beginning of the sentence that covers both verbs; 'think' and 'to be'.

It's called a compound predicate.

Oh you're a clever lad young Vincent, your English exams should be a cakewalk.

Well rest assured that we Aberdeen supporters are, in general, very supportive of our upcoming League Cup campaign.

Maybe if Hearts had the same dedication to this tournament as us Dons, you would've won it again yourselves since your 1962 triumph 

Oh you're a clever lad young Vincent, your English exams should be a cakewalk.

Well rest assured that we Aberdeen supporters are, in general, very supportive of our upcoming League Cup campaign.

Maybe if Hearts had the same dedication to this tournament as us Dons, you would've won it again yourselves since your 1962 triumph 

I am just delighted to hear that. Football should be fun.

18 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Not interested. Play the youth team, I'll watch it.

So you would be satisfied if Aberdeen went out of the League Cup at the group stages. What do you think that Aberdeen’s targets in the three completions should be at the start of next season?

Sadly almost all our "respectable" seasons in the past 25 years have come under two managers, Calderwood and McInnes.  Take those two guys out of the equation and our record is utterly dire. One top 4 finish I believe, although I haven't checked.  All we've done is revert to standards achieved by more typical Aberdeen managers. 

8 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

Mate of mine is a photographer. He's been asked to take some photos at Cormack Park later today.....

Unless your mate is used regularly be the club in a capacity as a photographer i don't see the relevance? The club has it's own videographer so surely they have their own photgrapher aswell?

5 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Sadly almost all our "respectable" seasons in the past 25 years have come under two managers, Calderwood and McInnes.  Take those two guys out of the equation and our record is utterly dire. One top 4 finish I believe, although I haven't checked.  All we've done is revert to standards achieved by more typical Aberdeen managers. 

Calderwood & McInnes cover about 12 seasons though.

Milne withdrew all financial backing for Paterson and McGhee which pretty much tied their hands behind their backs from the off, although both would bring shame to the club in their own peculiar ways so it was probably a wise move to keep them away from the family silver.

Skovdahl did have at least one good season although in his case one swallow definitely didn't make a summer.

Glass & Alex Miller were both shambles and should've never have been appointed in the first place... although the same could be said for Skovdahl*, Paterson and McGhee.

*I was going to say Skovdahl to a lesser extent but he could've easily got us relegated.

Just proof reading that makes me think that our main problem stems from a bad habit of choosing the wrong manager.

Edited by Bogbrush1903