The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

37 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If you’re going to make irrelevant examples like longstaff I’ll just throw Adam Montgomery back at you, although it would add nothing.

Yeah, Montgomery was 18/19 when he joined you and I don't think even had 10 senior games, he's miles away from Scales.

25 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

So about as relevant as longstaff then. 

Longstaff was an example of the type of loan you get if you flat out refuse to sign any from teams in the same division.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

So you'd rather have another Matty Longstaff situation?

Or you'd rather spend £100k+ on Charles Dunne than loan Scales?

He will be once he gets a run of games, IMO, at LCB or LB. He'd be incredible left side of a back 3 and allowed to get forward.

Just because he wasn't a good fit for Celtics very specific style of play doesn't make him poor.

Just an opinion but when I’m thinking ‘incredible’ left sided central defender I’m thinking someone in the class of Maldini.  I don’t see Scales every reaching that level given he’s nearly 24 already.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Longstaff was an example of the type of loan you get if you flat out refuse to sign any from teams in the same division.

So we signed longstaff because we have a transfer policy of refusing to loan OF players? In the same season we loaned Montgomery? You’re all over the place here mate. 

Can you get this weird episode out your system so we can move on. 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Just an opinion but when I’m thinking ‘incredible’ left sided central defender I’m thinking someone in the class of Maldini.  I don’t see Scales every reaching that level given he’s nearly 24 already.

When I say "top Scottish Premiership" CB you think Maldini?

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

So we signed longstaff because we have a transfer policy of refusing to loan OF players? In the same season we loaned Montgomery? You’re all over the place here mate. 

If you want first team ready players to the extent you are this Summer you'll need loans.

Your choices are either from either Old Firm side or the EPL.

The EPL loanees would have similar "pedigree" as Longstaff.

I asked if you'd rather have an Old Firm loanee like Scales, or an EPL loanee like Longstaff.

I'm happy to have an actual discussion about this but, as always, Aberdeen fans have defaulted to claiming I'm "obsessed" rather than discuss it further.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you want first team ready players to the extent you are this Summer you'll need loans.

I asked if you'd rather have an Old Firm loanee like Scales, or an EPL loanee like Longstaff.

I'm happy to have an actual discussion about this but, as always, Aberdeen fans have defaulted to claiming I'm "obsessed" rather than discuss it further.

Your arguments make absolutely no sense. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were trolling but you’re just coming across as thick. 

20 minutes ago, coprolite said:

An old firm loanee like Montgomery or Velicka or an EPL loanee like Ward or Hector? Hmm. 

Almost as if the ability and the mentality of the player are of more relevance than the parent club. Surely not…

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The post I quoted you on made no reference at all to Scotland only that Scales was an incredible left sided CB. I said my opinion of an incredible left sided CB was Maldini.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Almost as if the ability and the mentality of the player are of more relevance than the parent club. Surely not…

Which is my point. 

You don't write off a player because they play for an Old Firm club.

31 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

The post I quoted you on made no reference at all to Scotland only that Scales was an incredible left sided CB. I said my opinion of an incredible left sided CB was Maldini.

How very dense.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Which is my point. 

You don't write off a player because they play for an Old Firm club.

How very dense.

That wasn’t your point :lol:

Was that what you were trying to say when you did your ‘Celtic or EPL loanee, you’ll end up with Matty longstaff!!!’ bit? 

To bring this nonsense to an end, some people will accept a loan from Celtic and that’s fine. But being against it on the basis of not being able to play against them is a perfectly legitimate position to take and your agitation about it is nothing short of weird. 

Also, a non-OF fan telling other fans to know their place in relation to the OF is just a great look for you. I hope your wee fetish for arguing with dons fans was worth that. 

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That wasn’t your point :lol:

My point has always been you won't be able to get anyone as good as him this Summer, so saying you'd rather sign someone else simply because Scales plays for Celtic is daft.

You're not competing with them for position so him missing those 3/4 games would have little affect on your season.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's a top CB for this league.

Also @Grangemouth Bairn

Learn to read pls.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

My point has always been you won't be able to get anyone as good as him this Summer, so saying you'd rather sign someone else simply because Scales plays for Celtic is daft.

You're not competing with them for position so him missing those 3/4 games would have little affect on your season.

Also @Grangemouth Bairn

Learn to read pls.

You specifically said ‘incredible’ - he isn’t.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Also @Grangemouth Bairn

Learn to read pls.

Ryan Christie missed a Scottish cup final for this very reason. Just because we won’t finish above Celtic doesn’t mean 3/4 games against them are irrelevant. 

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You specifically said ‘incredible’ - he isn’t.

Ever seen him play LCB?

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ryan Christie missed a Scottish cup final for this very reason. Just because we won’t finish above Celtic doesn’t mean 3/4 games against them are irrelevant. 

You've played in 1 Scottish Cup Final in 20+ years, you shouldn't be signing inferior players because you're worried about that.

For Aberdeen this season should be entirely about getting back into the top 4 and Europe by any means necessary, then you can rebuild properly. Just get the best squad together that you can and start planning for next Summer once this window shuts.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Ever seen him play LCB?

You've played in 1 Scottish Cup Final in 20+ years, you shouldn't be signing inferior players because you're worried about that.

For Aberdeen this season should be entirely about getting back into the top 4 and Europe by any means necessary, then you can rebuild properly. Just get the best squad together that you can and start planning for next Summer once this window shuts.

Sorry mate, I’m not writing off the cup competitions because you think so.