The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

25 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He deserves our thanks & respect for 18 years of service, but the way some idiots are talking on Twitter etc, you’d think he’d died after being beheaded by Jim Goodwin.

Perhaps these fanboys should point their guns at Considine & his agent for demanding a 2 year contract (at an alleged £3k per week) for a 35 year old player who’s struggling to overcome an ACL injury? 

I listened to the Sportsound podcast and Willie Miller had a fair rant on this one, and other things related to the club - backed up by Michael Stewart (who I normally like) and "Biscuits" Preston.

Willie seemed to suggest that due to Andy being injured in the line of duty (on a porridge of a pitch in deepest darkest Baku) - then the club was somehow obligated to look after him beyond the expiry of this latest contract.

In some ways it was to JG's credit that he stood firm on this. 

21 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I listened to the Sportsound podcast and Willie Miller had a fair rant on this one, and other things related to the club - backed up by Michael Stewart (who I normally like) and "Biscuits" Preston.

Willie seemed to suggest that due to Andy being injured in the line of duty (on a porridge of a pitch in deepest darkest Baku) - then the club was somehow obligated to look after him beyond the expiry of this latest contract.

I mean to be fair they extended Devlin's contract at least once under similar circumstances so it's not completely unheard of.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’ve no issue with a decision being taken on Andy. The way the club handled the press release was poor though. 

About sums it up for me, too. It was petty and reactionary - all that was needed was something along the lines of 'We made a good offer, but Andy and his advisers saw him playing a different role next season than the manager did.' 

Grating to see Foster and Stewart on Sportscene asking 'Why not keep him on and use him sparingly? Benefit from his experience blah blah' when, at least in public, the whole thing revolved around the club wanting to do exactly that but Andy/his agent wanting too much money to make that feasible, and presumably seeing his squad role differently. Also ignoring that he's been injured for 9 months and pulled up in his first game back.

Anyway, I'd have liked to have seen him stay another year as a reliable backup (to at least one new starter), but that would only have made sense if he was going to be fit, which looks doubtful, and if was a role he was happy with, which also seems doubtful. I hope he gets a deal that suits him and his family better elsewhere, wherever that is.

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

He's 35, just returned from a major injury and broke down injured in his return game. He also wanted 2 years which would take him to 37 by the end of his contract, all on a decent wage.

As much as I love and respect the guy, we can do better.

Spot on, which escaped all and sundry ranting about it on Sportsound yesterday 

Was disappointed Willie joined in with it by and large 

Your statue just got a foot shorter, Miller 

58 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

That’s the thing.

We DID offer a 12 month contract which his clueless agent fucked up & turned down.

So pardon me if I don’t join in with kicking the club incorrectly.

Miller should know better 

41 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I mean to be fair they extended Devlin's contract at least once under similar circumstances so it's not completely unheard of.

"Good to have around the place" apparently.

Goodwin did mention on one interview yesterday when citing Andy's professionalism until the end, that it was 'unlike a couple of others, who had thrown their toys out of the pram after finding out they were not being kept on'.  Any idea who he was referring to here?

Just now, tarapoa said:

Goodwin did mention on one interview yesterday when citing Andy's professionalism until the end, that it was 'unlike a couple of others, who had thrown their toys out of the pram after finding out they were not being kept on'.  Any idea who he was referring to here?

McLennan hasn’t had any game time in the last few weeks has he? Maybe him? 
JET as well seeing as he’s been papped out. 

You’d think he’s NOT referring to Ojo & McGeouch seeing as they’ve had starts or game time. 

7 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Gallagher looked particularly nonchalant against the fermers then didn't start against St Mirren. Hopefully it's him, the useless p***k. 

7 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

McLennan hasn’t had any game time in the last few weeks has he? Maybe him? 
JET as well seeing as he’s been papped out. 

You’d think he’s NOT referring to Ojo & McGeouch seeing as they’ve had starts or game time. 

McLennan is still under contract though.

Maybe it is Ojo/McGeouch.  Ojo was maybe only brought back in out of necessity, but his defending looked half-hearted when compared to reasonable performances earlier in the season as a makeshift RB.  McGeouch didn't feature much at all either.

Both big wage earners where JG probably feels he can get better value for money/ less sicknotes elsewhere..............but neither seem the type not just to accept that and move on.

47 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

McLennan is still under contract though.

Maybe it is Ojo/McGeouch.  Ojo was maybe only brought back in out of necessity, but his defending looked half-hearted when compared to reasonable performances earlier in the season as a makeshift RB.  McGeouch didn't feature much at all either.

Both big wage earners where JG probably feels he can get better value for money/ less sicknotes elsewhere..............but neither seem the type not just to accept that and move on.

Aye but so was JET. 
There are apparently one or two contracted players being told to look elsewhere if they want & that they’re surplus to requirements. 

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Scott Burns doing more PR for Considine again.

He's been largely retweeting fans slagging the club off on twitter so he's clearly well on the outs with them now.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andy-considine-snubs-jim-goodwin-26978181

Almost as if he's lost a dressing room source 👀

38 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Almost as if he's lost a dressing room source 👀

Scott Burns' behaviour has been very odd recently.  He's behaving more like the club has been taken over by a Serbian businessman with links to Arkan, rather than the current management making a couple of decisions he doesn't like.

Edited by O_Kahn

39 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Can’t wait to see the “Squad Update” Twitter post tbh 

Like a kid at Christmas fantasising over the some of the shite we’re getting rid of 

And next week is the league cup group draw

What a time to be a Dandy 

Was expecting it today and am quite upset it hasn’t happened. 

Why haven’t heads rolled yet.

2 hours ago, Rodhull said:

I think that was due to the fact that the club felt partly responsible for complications he experienced under the knife which set him back.

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

I don't follow your point here at all. 

I can't see any comparison between the situations nor how it could possibly negatively impact recruitment, unless we're trying to recruit players who've already been with the club for years. 

The club have decided they are better recruiting players from other countries, rather than UK developed players. However, we are already seeing that these players don't feel the need to honour their contracts. Who is going to get across what it should mean to play for the dons than Andy.

If we are trying to persuade players with other options to come to us I don't think it's a good look either.

2 hours ago, Ampersand said:

Grating to see Foster and Stewart on Sportscene asking 'Why not keep him on and use him sparingly? 

Aye, Foster mentioned something about giving Considine a contract even if he doesn't play because he was a good role model to the younger players!

That's all well and good but we've had plenty of players sitting around not contributing on the pitch very often (including, although not through any fault of his own, Andy Considine) this season and that didn't turn out to be particularly successful.

Of course it's sad to see a long-serving player move on but we can't just keep offering him deals because he's been here a long time.

He's done well out of Aberdeen and, in turn, he's gave his best for Aberdeen and conducted himself professionally.

However, all things must pass, and the time was right I think for him to move on.

It's just a shame that it wasn't long after he reached his personal career pinnacle of playing for Scotland that his Aberdeen career was basically ended by a sub-standard pitch in Baku