The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

34 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Not a header but it is a clear shove in the back. No penalty was the correct decision even if it was arrived at for the wrong reason.

He put his arm up there because he was about to be pushed in the back! That makes sense.

A stonewall penalty, which for once the ref has seen. The linesman didn't even flag. So it was just the pressure from Anwick that led to the mistake. I see BBC then gave him MOM.

What did Dave C say to the refereeing supervisor to lead to these mental decisions?

21 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Not a header but it is a clear shove in the back. No penalty was the correct decision even if it was arrived at for the wrong reason.

Not what that photograph suggests.  Bates has his hands forward and may even be touching the player but it's not a non-contract sport and there's no evidence he actually applied any force.  His hands are nowhere near where they would need to be causing that arching of the back.  The arching looks like it's caused by the player trying to reach the ball with his hand.

More to the point, the referee was well placed to if there was a push and didn't see one.  The decision was made by a linesman who was very badly placed to see any push.

This also broke the well established principle that officials don't change their minds about penalties based on players' appeals.  If you didn't see it when it happened you can't rely on what you thought you might have seen once a player has put new suggestions in your mind.  The linesman was a credulous fool who started imagining he'd seen what he couldn't have seen based on pressure from cynical players. 

That the linesman hared into the stand as soon as the final whistle blew, skipping the normal end of match courtesies, and the referee apologised to Goodwin tells you all you need to know.  This was as shockingly incompetent a piece of officiating as I've seen in Scottish football, and that's no small claim because standards are often abysmal.

15 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Not what that photograph suggests.  Bates has his hands forward and may even be touching the player but it's not a non-contract sport and there's no evidence he actually applied any force.  His hands are nowhere near where they would need to be causing that arching of the back.  The arching looks like it's caused by the player trying to reach the ball with his hand.

More to the point, the referee was well placed to if there was a push and didn't see one.  The decision was made by a linesman who was very badly placed to see any push.

This also broke the well established principle that officials don't change their minds about penalties based on players' appeals.  If you didn't see it when it happened you can't rely on what you thought you might have seen once a player has put new suggestions in your mind.  The linesman was a credulous fool who started imagining he'd seen what he couldn't have seen based on pressure from cynical players. 

That the linesman hared into the stand as soon as the final whistle blew, skipping the normal end of match courtesies, and the referee apologised to Goodwin tells you all you need to know.  This was as shockingly incompetent a piece of officiating as I've seen in Scottish football, and that's no small claim because standards are often abysmal.

That was some bolt. You'd be forgiven for assuming he must be touching cloth.

Am I the only one thinking we might see some Cormack craziness this week? Low level expected a "mutual consent" statement this evening (to be clear I don't want this)

The Sportsound bit was tedious as f**k, "do you think if Milne was still chairman McInnes would be manager" 😴

The Considine thing was weird but feels more like an agent being a p***k than anything else as neither Goodwin nor Considine seem like the type.

8 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

Am I the only one thinking we might see some Cormack craziness this week? Low level expected a "mutual consent" statement this evening (to be clear I don't want this)

The Sportsound bit was tedious as f**k, "do you think if Milne was still chairman McInnes would be manager" 😴

The Considine thing was weird but feels more like an agent being a p***k than anything else as neither Goodwin nor Considine seem like the type.

Mutual consent regarding who? Goodwin?

On the Considine exit, I see parallels with the release of our captain Stephen McGinn at the end of Goodwin's first season:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/stephen-mcginn-st-mirren-exit-doesnt-sit-well-with-brother-john-mcginn-2877032

Huge presence in the dressing room and perhaps had the ear of the board (were rumours McGinn was feeding them information about Stubbs' deficiencies ahead of his sacking).

My feeling was that Goodwin felt threatened at having someone on his staff with influence who could potentially undermine his authority. There's a definite alpha male thing going on. Likes having Lee Sharpe as an Assistant because Sharpe knows his place.

Was no surprise a big character like Scott Brown left soon after Goodwin arrived and Considine looks like McGinn mark 2. Difference is McGinn left us quietly, at the height of Covid, whereas Considine's release... Goodwin has made a complete hash of it; if he really wanted the guy to remain at the club then it would have happened regardless of the "leak".

Edited by Buttocks Brown

51 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

I don't like the contrast between how Considine has been treated, as a Don through and through, compared to Hernandez and Ramirez. They were both able to take the piss on their contracts.

I'm not sure any of that bodes well for the future when we are aiming for wider recruitment. 

26 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

On the Considine exit, I see parallels with the release of our captain Stephen McGinn at the end of Goodwin's first season:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/stephen-mcginn-st-mirren-exit-doesnt-sit-well-with-brother-john-mcginn-2877032

Huge presence in the dressing room and perhaps had the ear of the board (were rumours McGinn was feeding them information about Stubbs' deficiencies ahead of his sacking).

My feeling was that Goodwin felt threatened at having someone on his staff with influence who could potentially undermine his authority. There's a definite alpha male thing going on. Likes having Lee Sharpe as an Assistant because Sharpe knows his place.

Was no surprise a big character like Scott Brown left soon after Goodwin arrived and Considine looks like McGinn mark 2. Difference is McGinn left us quietly, at the height of Covid, whereas Considine's release... Goodwin has made a complete hash of it; if he really wanted the guy to remain at the club then it would have happened regardless of the "leak".

Interesting, but I don't really see it.  Considine is a good guy to have around, but I wouldn't ever see him as a threat to a manager.  Also, he was offered a contract in the first place to stay for another 12 months (at least).

It would have been weird if Goodwin had kept Brown on TBH.

7 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Is Considine retiring or signing for some Championship club that will pay inflated wages for those in their twilight years? 🙃

I'd like to see him pitch up at Balmoral but do I really see it happening, probably not. Would it be a risk, probably, and are we aging in that department already; arguably yes.

If I were Reynolds, Logan, Fyvie and/or Mitch I'd have been trying to tempt him weeks ago.

I don't really see him uprooting his life for a year or two down in Ayrshire. Dundee clubs would be an option but would he go there after 18 years as a Don?

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Dundee clubs would be an option but would he go there after 18 years as a Don?

Absolutely he would, Aberdeen and Dundee have a long history of transfers between them. Plus we still have shagger McGinn for a season.

Just now, johnnydun said:

Absolutely he would, Aberdeen and Dundee have a long history of transfers between them. Plus we still have shagger McGinn for a season.

Yeah it's a well trodden path many have gone down but Andy Considine, who is Mr Banchory and a boyhood Dons fan. 

You'd think he's talked to all the suitors and a decision will likely be imminent. We'll find out soon. Intrigued to see where he ends up. If injury free, he'd be an asset to the club he goes to next undoubtedly.