The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 minutes ago, McG said:

Goodwin is having a stormer, been found out already.

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Those Aberdeen players have really bought into Goodwin ball, eh? 

Fair play if you get any bites here lads but you’ll struggle to find anyone who cares at this moment. 

Bottom half manager finishes bottom half shocker.

A whole heap of that squad are so far below what you want, but Goodwin has no history of signing better than it, so interesting to see where things go from here.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A whole heap of that squad are so far below what you want, but Goodwin has no history of signing better than it, so interesting to see where things go from here.

Couldn’t agree more, Goodwin has done nothing of note, no cup final appearance, no top 6 finish, I wish him well but a poor start next season and the knives will be well and truly sharpened.

We must be the softest team in the league, the amount of times we get bullied out of games is mental. Do our players need to be more streetwise?? Do we need to sign a midfield enforcer a la brown but younger. Saints absolutely bullied us tonight and our players just didn't look interested in being involved. 

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair comment

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He has prioritised the clearout to a huge extent - going deeper than many of us thought, and leaving things looking a tad precarious for a while in terms of preserving our 'never been relegated' status.

His job in terms of what he will be judged on in footballing terms starts on Monday.

He may well be a 'bottom six manager', but in terms of incoming transfer fees and significant wages freed up - provided he gets a decent chunk of that, there should be no excuses in terms of funding available to make us competitive at the right end of the league again.  The fact that these bang average Motherwell and United sides will represent us in Europe next season, just demonstrates what a truly awful league this is (coughs) outside the top three - and we have been significant contributors to that state of affairs.

Couldn’t agree more, Goodwin has done nothing of note, no cup final appearance, no top 6 finish, I wish him well but a poor start next season and the knives will be well and truly sharpened.

He’s improved both clubs he’s managed so far to be fair.

I would’ve liked him to have improved things by now but the damage was done long before he joined the club. He deserves time to sort us out. No point in hounding a guy out a few months into the job.

He’s bombed out a lot of the shite already and there will be more to come. Let’s hope he’s as good at bringing in players as he is at getting rid of them.

35 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

What he's done before is of no concern to me.

Derek McInnes was a bottom half manager before he turned us around.

Aye it’s not a valid argument. There is concerns about the lack of improvement since he came in but I’m looking forward to seeing what we do over the summer. 

I think he came in and thought he’d make us more solid and pick up points that way but probably even he has been shocked at just how soft a centre we have. Defensively  we’ve let ourselves down time and again and it’s made it impossible to build any momentum.

Im pretty optimistic we’ll be significantly better next season. 

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye it’s not a valid argument. There is concerns about the lack of improvement since he came in but I’m looking forward to seeing what we do over the summer. 

I think he came in and thought he’d make us more solid and pick up points that way but probably even he has been shocked at just how soft a centre we have. Defensively  we’ve let ourselves down time and again and it’s made it impossible to build any momentum.

Im pretty optimistic we’ll be significantly better next season. 

Absolutely.

The club is in a decent state off the field. This isn't McGhee coming in to fix the mess Calderwood had left behind on a shoe string etc.

Goodwin will be very well backed. By the sounds of things he's delighted with the recruitment team we have. He deserves a chance.

Goodwin will sign better, and more reliable, players than those heading out of the club. He managed to bring some excellent players to St Mirren on a much smaller budget. Dons fans might not agree, but players like McGrath, Ronan, McCarthy, Gogic and dare I say big Joe, would have made them a better team. Goodwin will be aware of players in England, Ireland and further afield who will now be within his budget and he won’t be signing guys who are happy to sit on the bench earning good money. Given time, he’ll probably prove to be a success, in relative terms. Grab the cash on offer from Liverpool and let Jim replace the serial under-achievers with ‘winners’. Hope you lose on Sunday though….

As horrible as the last part of the season has been to watch, is it possible a complete collapse was what we needed to get a proper squad clear out going? We've been saying all year how shite half the squad is, and Goodwin has come in and quickly realised as much and told them all to piss off. I'm sure he thought we'd still have enough to battle through respectably to the end of the season, but just because a bunch of players have downed tools doesn't mean it was the wrong thing to do.

If this squad had got a new manager bounce and finished well the rest of the season, then maybe we'd be holding on to more of them for next season and have to go through it all over again?

53 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Absolutely.

The club is in a decent state off the field. This isn't McGhee coming in to fix the mess Calderwood had left behind on a shoe string etc.

Goodwin will be very well backed. By the sounds of things he's delighted with the recruitment team we have. He deserves a chance.

Aye, if there was anything good to come from the cormack interview with Graham hunter it’s that our recruitment seems like a proper operation now. if Darren Mowbray is good at his job and Gunn has learned the lessons of previous windows then we’re in a good position to recruit well. 

One window won’t solve everything but if we can fix the core of the team and then start actually building something from January onwards then I think we’ll be fine. It’s a huge job in the next months though. 

The important thing to remember about recruitment is that while Goodwin will have the final say, there is a new recruitment department/process in place. So it won't be entirely up to Goodwin to find and bring players in.

The first proper example of this new dept. is Besuijen, who definitely looks a good signing. They are really going to be tested this summer though, as this squad is absolutely bereft of confidence and leadership. Assuming Ramsay and Ferguson are sold, we will need first choice (by that I mean good enough to be first choice in Hearts team):

RB
CB x2
CM
LW

...just to make us competitive. Questions also remain over Lewis' future, whether Ramirez will return, and we also have to be careful not to place too much reliance on Barron, Besuijen, and MacKenzie, as they are but young loons.

Lots of work to be done.

14 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

In case anyone is wanting to do a “where are they now” on our 15/16 squad:

I remember the camera panning to the Dons bench after Maddison’s free kick against them and he was sitting there looking gutted.

Ha I'd never noticed that before, just watched the goal again and looking at him and Alexander on the bench you wouldn't even know a goal had been scored.

How's this going? 

The Club is aiming to inspire fans with an exciting brand of football that has its roots in homegrown talent. The philosophy sets out how the Club will strive to produce winning performances that get supporters up off their feet, with intensity and pace. Adopting many of the principles which have brought the Club successes over the years, the philosophy is about creating a recognisable style of play that is firmly centred around the development of homegrown talent.