The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Game of throw-ins said:

I agree that a section of our fans have always wildly exaggerated what our expectations should be compared to "lesser" clubs, but being a striker at Aberdeen is still a different job. 

When the club is functioning well - as it was when Anderson was still here - we will spend a lot more of our time trying to break down teams who are defending in depth and rarely venturing forward.  Especially at home.

In those circumstances a striker with some physical presence and aerial threat becomes more valuable and a less physical striker who has some skills but can be easily crowded out physically less so. 

The question for our manager would always have been "is Anderson good enough to justify changing the way the team plays to play to his strengths".  Basically, do we build a team around him.  The answer was always "no" and based on the evidence I saw I would agree with it.

That same question might have a different answer for Livingston.  It's even harder for them to attract bigger/more physical strikers of good quality than it is for us.  Teams will be more offensive against them and their strikers will get more space on the break.  Anderson looks a much better fit for them than he does for us.

I agree but a player not fitting into a system is completely different from saying that he "showed absolutely no ability or desire" as we read from @Illgresi earlier in the thread.

However, Anderson has shown, that with a competent winger alongside him, that he can score. If he had played when Hayes and McGinn were on top form then I believe he would have reaped the rewards. Unfortunately, by the time he was ready, McInnes was resorting to the agricultural method that saw Cosgrove prosper for a season and  a half.

He was then joined by the physical presence that was Curtis Main but that didn't work either

16 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

I agree that a section of our fans have always wildly exaggerated what our expectations should be compared to "lesser" clubs, but being a striker at Aberdeen is still a different job. 

When the club is functioning well - as it was when Anderson was still here - we will spend a lot more of our time trying to break down teams who are defending in depth and rarely venturing forward.  Especially at home.

In those circumstances a striker with some physical presence and aerial threat becomes more valuable and a less physical striker who has some skills but can be easily crowded out physically less so. 

The question for our manager would always have been "is Anderson good enough to justify changing the way the team plays to play to his strengths".  Basically, do we build a team around him.  The answer was always "no" and based on the evidence I saw I would agree with it.

That same question might have a different answer for Livingston.  It's even harder for them to attract bigger/more physical strikers of good quality than it is for us.  Teams will be more offensive against them and their strikers will get more space on the break.  Anderson looks a much better fit for them than he does for us.

Great points 👍.  Imagine a post like this popping up on A.F.C. chat 

35 minutes ago, logie skid boys said:

Kind looking forward to it probably enjoy them more than the Europe ties . Hopefully couple good aways in the sun . 

Arbroath away would do me since we missed out of the fun of a playoff (probably)

44 minutes ago, logie skid boys said:

Kind looking forward to it probably enjoy them more than the Europe ties . Hopefully couple good aways in the sun . 

Maybe get further than in Europe, too.

As long as we don't draw Raith Rovers...

I predict us sneaking through the league cup group stages but with one or two stinking performances/results along the way that have elements of our support going into full on meltdown, despite it effectively being pre season. 

24 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I predict us sneaking through the league cup group stages but with one or two stinking performances/results along the way that have elements of our support going into full on meltdown, despite it effectively being pre season. 

Nothing surer.   Especially if one of the stinking results is against Cove , who we’re nailed on to be drawn against.

1 hour ago, logie skid boys said:

A couple of trips to grounds I've yet to visit like Annan or Edinburgh City would suit me (as long as they are not on Wednesday nights as unlikely to get time off work for a trip to Annan!!!)

47 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Anyone expecting us to lose to Hibs this weekend, Saints to beat Livvy and then Saints to beat us?  I've absolutely no confidence in the Dons, I'm just hoping that Saints continue their poor form.

Wouldn’t go so far as to say I’m expecting it, but none of these results are exactly far-fetched.  

17 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

First time we've needed to know this.

Just noticed they have gone away from regionalisation so wonder if there will be 2nd seed group for championship teams? 

Teams I would like away would be Stirling Albion, Kelty Hearts, Albion Rovers, Edinburgh City, Airdrieonians, Annan Athletic, Dumbarton and Bonnyrigg Rose for the obvious reason that I've not been to their ground. 

4 hours ago, logie skid boys said:

Looking forward to it as a one off

By no means hoping this is now a regular thing

With there likely to be up to 5 European places available for the foreseeable there are no excuses really 

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Genuinely excited about this. I mean Peterhead away would be the local equivalent of Mariupol Wanderers in the Europa.

The first time we're in this and they've done away with the regional groups. Great.