The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, highland_mechanic said:

I don't think he is anywhere near ready for a move to England. Defensively he has lots to learn.

Correct. Not fast and athletic enough yet either. Will have to be loaned or academy games.

Have thought McKenzie has been better in several games this season but Ramsay has ability to improve. 

10 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Despite McGoo being a sandwich short of a picnic, it will probably be the final time we see a Gothenburg Great in a prominent role (i.e player or manager) at a match at Pittodrie...

Neil Simpson caretaker when Goodwin gets sacked? He's probably good for caretaking after the next three or four sackings to be fair.

Like Cosgrove, sell Ramsay before he's found out. Hibs missed the boat when they failed to sell Doig. 

Not concerned about the potential departure of Ferguson as Connor Barron looks a ready made replacement. Barron reminds me of a young Paul Scholes. He won't be with us long. Already my favourite player in the team. Love his attitude and positivity. Destined for the EPL. 

I was really pleased to see McKenzie perform well yesterday. Looked really promising.

Looking forward to seeing Ryan Duncan feature next season. Apparently the club see him playing as an attacking midfielder rather than a winger.  

This season has been an absolute disaster but a feel a genuine sense of optimism going forward.

Like Cosgrove, sell Ramsay before he's found out. Hibs missed the boat when they failed to sell Doig. 
Not concerned about the potential departure of Ferguson as Connor Barron looks a ready made replacement. Barron reminds me of a young Paul Scholes. He won't be with us long. Already my favourite player in the team. Love his attitude and positivity. Destined for the EPL. 
I was really pleased to see McKenzie perform well yesterday. Looked really promising.
Looking forward to seeing Ryan Duncan feature next season. Apparently the club see him playing as an attacking midfielder rather than a winger.  
This season has been an absolute disaster but a feel a genuine sense of optimism going forward.

I thought I’d seen it all but comparing Cosgrove to Ramsay? Bloody hell

38 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Ramsay has a lot of ability and potential and is only 18.

Cosgrove was big which attracts some managers on its own, and hit a wee spell where he scored a few but in general was a very limited player.

Strange comparison.

1 hour ago, Hauzen said:

Neil Simpson caretaker when Goodwin gets sacked? He's probably good for caretaking after the next three or four sackings to be fair.

The final playing appearance at Pittodrie was 22nd April 2000 by Jim Leighton for Aberdeen against Hibs (2-1 Dow and Solberg). 6,191 days after the glorious day or 16 years, 11 months and 11 days.

I think it's unlikely that Simmie will take caretaker reigns again because he's moved away from coaching staff.

I think 30th April 2022 was the final hurrah for the Gothenburg Greats at Pittodrie.

38 years, 11 months and 19 days since May 11th 1983 or 14,234 days...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

4 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

I don't think he is anywhere near ready for a move to England. Defensively he has lots to learn.

I'm sure Klopp won't be chucking him into the Champions League final right away or anything. They will be buying him now because of what they think he can become with their coaching, rather than what he is right now. 

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Do you not think the fact that clubs like Liverpool, one of the best sides in the world at the moment, are seriously interested in him and want to develop him, might just suggest that he has at least something about him? 

6 minutes ago, velo army said:

Given you lads seem to be all about youth players these days, do you have any good young centre halves coming through? 

David Bates is only 25. Yours for £100k. Although i'm sure we can give you more than that if necessary. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

David Bates is only 25. Yours for £100k. Although i'm sure we can give you more than that if necessary. 

Ha! I wasn't asking as a Jags fan, more just a Scotland fan and interested local. I've been encouraged by your emphasis on youth development and was just curious about who you have coming through, especially given your apparent current weaknesses in that position. 

What I find strange is that given the shit goals that we’ve been losing, and should have lost more yesterday, Jim Goodwin has stuck to playing Gallagher and Bates every single match. Gallagher has, overall, done a decent job, but Bates does not deserve his place. Either bring in Andy Considine to partner Gallagher or bring Ross McCrorie back to the back four at Easter Road.

31 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Do you not think the fact that clubs like Liverpool, one of the best sides in the world at the moment, are seriously interested in him and want to develop him, might just suggest that he has at least something about him? 

Doig is an example of a player that in his first season with Hibs, stood out, garnered a lot of attention, but Hibs choice not to sell (Doig was apparently reluctant to leave) and now all the interest has dried up. They could have potentially profited several million.

Ramsay is only 18 and so it's to be expected that he'll be inconsistent. Had a fantastic start to the season but has faded a little since his injury against Hibs. I'm sure Liverpool believe they can iron out some of his defensive vulnerabilities. The data indicates he's an elite youth prospect. My thoughts are sell him while there is interest.

5 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Doig is an example of a player that in his first season with Hibs, stood out, garnered a lot of attention, but Hibs choice not to sell (Doig was apparently reluctant to leave) and now all the interest has dried up. They could have potentially profited several million.

Ramsay is only 18 and so it's to be expected that he'll be inconsistent. Had a fantastic start to the season but has faded a little since his injury against Hibs. I'm sure Liverpool believe they can iron out some of his defensive vulnerabilities. The data indicates he's an elite youth prospect. My thoughts are sell him while there is interest.

That is a somewhat more nuanced and reasonable take than "sell Ramsay before he's found out".

55 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I personally don't think Liverpool is a good move for Ramsey's development. He's 19 in the summer and needs as much first team football as possible to develop.

I assume they'll loan him out but if, for instance, there was interest in Italy then I would encourage him to try his luck there.

18 hours ago, HunterAFC said:

Got strong Considine & Ifil vibes from Bates and Gallagher, give them as much time as they want on the ball then mildly pressure them and you get yourself a chance.

Now that we should (hopefully) be safe might see Polvara in for Ferguson to see how that goes (assuming Polvara isn't getting punted).

I know his loan spell was pretty poor but be interested in seeing Ruth getting a go in one of the last few games.

Knew last summer was going to be big but this one is going to be ridiculous.

The central defenders will be a real headache for Goodwin.  I don't think they are bad players necessarily, but they have zero confidence and are in terrible form.  They are both under contract, so does he gamble that he can get better performances from one or both or try to offload them (not easy based on their form this season).  Getting that decision wrong could mean disaster.

The problem for me is that they have been left far too exposed.  Both new to the club and one another.  An overly ambitious attempt to play expansive football under Glass. Full backs who are inexperienced, or not really full backs, and whose best attributes are not defensive.  A keeper who, despite his MOTM performance yesterday, has had a very shaky season and a back-up keeper who still managed to be significantly worse.  The injury to Considine who might have offered continuity and solidity.  The change of manager and systems.

Calderwood had IMO a much worse pairing in Diamond and Considine, but the whole team was practically set up to protect the defence and we got fourth place finishes.  It was terrible to watch but more realistic than the naivety we've seen this season.  Bates and Gallagher have been poor but they've been dealt an unfair hand.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

1 hour ago, Game of throw-ins said:

The central defenders will be a real headache for Goodwin.  I don't think they are bad players necessarily, but they have zero confidence and are in terrible form.  They are both under contract, so does he gamble that he can get better performances from one or both or try to offload them (not easy based on their form this season).  Getting that decision wrong could mean disaster.

The problem for me is that they have been left far too exposed.  Both new to the club and one another.  An overly ambitious attempt to play expansive football under Glass. Full backs who are inexperienced, or not really full backs, and whose best attributes are not defensive.  A keeper who, despite his MOTM performance yesterday, has had a very shaky season and a back-up keeper who still managed to be significantly worse.  The injury to Considine who might have offered continuity and solidity.  The change of manager and systems.

Calderwood had IMO a much worse pairing in Diamond and Considine, but the whole team was practically set up to protect the defence and we got fourth place finishes.  It was terrible to watch but more realistic than the naivety we've seen this season.  Bates and Gallagher have been poor but they've been dealt an unfair hand.

Good post never thought about it like that 

2 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

I agree that Bates in particular needs to keep it simple and stop overthinking his play. I hope Goodwin rests him and gives Andy some games now.

The other way of thinking about is that we can't make much of Ramsay's attacking talent with such poor centre backs covering. At least Mckenzie and Vince seem to be forming an understanding.

Edited by Don exotic
Typo

Gallagher was poor yesterday, but he has improved since Goodwin came in with a regular run of games and he does sometimes look like he can do the fundamentals to a decent standard. I can see a situation where he recovers some form and at least competes for a first team slot on a more regular basis in a better Aberdeen team, although I certainly wouldn't say it's a given. I still suspect his best deployment would be in the middle of a three.

Bates just isn't good at all at the fundamentals of defending, and I fear deluding ourselves about that and failing to replace him would be pretty costly next season.