The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

You cannot be bad enough to lose to a Championship side in the play-off, if you happen to be involved.

Because Aberdeen don't have history of bottling games against Championship-level teams when it comes to cup-style games, especially if penalties are involved.  🙄

I get the Mccormack strategy of developing our own and some purchased young players and profiting by their sales. It was clear Mcinnes as a manager didn't fit with this. It really feels like we have dangerously rushed the process though. Ideally, we should only be blooding one or two players like this as at a time. It seems we might be looking to do this next year with half the first team.

We are banking on Goodwin and the team finding players. He should be able to get more out of what we have though. He has burned bridges too early and needs to get key players back on side.

I think the burning bridges stuff is being way overplayed. I don’t see any lack of effort out there. 

I see a very average side who’s confidence has been shot to pieces. A side that was shoddily assembled and lacks any real balance or depth. A side that lacks pace and creative spark and a side that is frankly soft as shite. 

3 hours ago, DMCs said:

You're even worse than that now though. I have no idea what Aberdeen fans were expecting would happen after getting rid of McInnes.

That's down to the appointment of Glass being terrible not getting rid of McInnes. The form that got McInnes sacked was just as bad as we're playing now.

It's unreal this has to be explained multiple times.

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think the burning bridges stuff is being way overplayed. I don’t see any lack of effort out there. 

I see a very average side who’s confidence has been shot to pieces. A side that was shoddily assembled and lacks any real balance or depth. A side that lacks pace and creative spark and a side that is frankly soft as shite. 

I'm not suggesting they have downed tools. It's more that we lack leadership on the pitch; partly as the majority of senior players seem to be leaving or under threat of going.

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Are you talking about performances? There's no way that argument can be made about results.

Goodwin P8 W1 D3 L4

Glass P8 W2 D2 L4

McInnes P8 W1 D 3 L4

McInnes last win was 1-0 against Killie. remind me where they ended up last season.

All 3 draws in that last 8 were 0-0.

There is an argument that he might have been able to turn it round but we'll never know. What we do know is the form tht got him sacked s no different to Goodwin and worse than Glass' last 8 games.

I'll post the link to where I got the results in case I've made a mistake.

Latest Aberdeen Results, Fixtures & Betting Odds | Soccer Base

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Are you talking about performances? There's no way that argument can be made about results.

No idea what team you were watching then. Results and performances were both dreadful. He'd just broken a club record for games without scoring a goal

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

That's down to the appointment of Glass being terrible not getting rid of McInnes. The form that got McInnes sacked was just as bad as we're playing now.

Aye, but, be careful what you wish for, big man, by ra way...

Goodwin P8 W1 D3 L4
Glass P8 W2 D2 L4
McInnes P8 W1 D 3 L4
McInnes last win was 1-0 against Killie. remind me where they ended up last season.
All 3 draws in that last 8 were 0-0.
There is an argument that he might have been able to turn it round but we'll never know. What we do know is the form tht got him sacked s no different to Goodwin and worse than Glass' last 8 games.
I'll post the link to where I got the results in case I've made a mistake.
Latest Aberdeen Results, Fixtures & Betting Odds | Soccer Base

Intriguing how the McInnes sample size in these debates often has to be those last couple of months.

What about the form in the early part of last season for example? Saw us comfortably into Europe - won well in Stavanger etc…….and we could still generally defend well in most matches.

Defending is a big part of football and seems to have been neglected in this quest for open attacking football - and all these sides that play us know that as long as they remain organised themselves, they likely beat us.

48 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Intriguing how the McInnes sample size in these debates often has to be those last couple of months.

What about the form in the early part of last season for example? Saw us comfortably into Europe - won well in Stavanger etc…….and we could still generally defend well in most matches.

Defending is a big part of football and seems to have been neglected in this quest for open attacking football - and all these sides that play us know that as long as they remain organised themselves, they likely beat us.

I took the last 8 games for each manager. I still rate McInnes higher than either of the other two but can understand why he got binned with the run we were on.

53 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Is it really intriguing? A manager is judged on current form by boardroom, media and supporters alike.

For instance, Willie Miller had us playing some of the best football I've witnessed at Pittodrie but by 1994/95 he was leading us to relegation.  Miller wasn't judged on what he'd done previously, he was judged on where we were headed.

We won well in Stavanger (in front of an empty stadium) but I don't what the etc means. We were abysmal in Lisbon when the home side looked vulnerable.

3 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Maybe people just don’t agree ? It is possible. McInnes had a record at the club that’s there for all to see, it’s not even close to being matched with the two managers that followed him. People can talk of his time being up, the style of football, anything really but his record still stacks up against any other manager outside the old firm.

Edited by Yorky

3 hours ago, Rodhull said:

It doesn't need to be explained, it's just based on the false assumption that if we hadn't appointed Glass we'd necessarily have appointed somebody good, or at least better.  Look at the history of managerial appointments in the SPL.  Most managers don't last very long.  The reason is that the majority of appointments turn out to be failures, and fairly quickly at that.  It's absolutely no surprise that Cormack's first appointment was a failure, and his second is already starting to look suspect.

It was always the case that if we sacked McInnes there was a very high probability we'd replace him with someone substandard.  His name just happened to be Glass.

1 minute ago, naegoodinthedark said:

After every Saturday, and every bad result, the talk in here goes back to Deek. 

We really need to let go before people start talking about us living in the past. 

It was the same with Jimmy until we appointed mcinnes. 

I was a huge mcinnes fan, I still like and respect him. He made a huge contribution. But I’m absolutely comfortable that we parted at the right time and everyone just needs to move forward.