The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I think it's fair to say relations between the club and Scott Burns are a bit frosty at the moment.

(I haven't seen the interview yet).

If he's going to put out pieces criticising the club then he has to expect a bit of grief back.

He was in the wrong on that occasion anyway.

It’s one of daves better interviews actually but I thought Graham hunter went very easy on him. They said there was no pre arranged questions or anything but he barely challenged anything. and a lot of emphasis on how big a fan Dave is. 

There’s still not enough substance, too much playing to the gallery over Gothenburg and patting himself on the back with regards to his investment but the recruitment structure all sounds good and I still feel we’ve done a lot of the right things but changed too much too quickly and that we could/should have things to look forward to.

But as ever with Dave, it’s all in the execution and his record there isn’t brilliant. 

Edited by Dons_1988

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s one of daves better interviews actually but I thought Graham hunter went very easy on him. They said there was no pre arranged questions or anything but he barely challenged anything. and a lot of emphasis on how big a fan Dave is. 

There’s still not enough substance, too much playing to the gallery over Gothenburg and patting himself on the back with regards to his investment but the recruitment structure all sounds good and I still feel we’ve done a lot of the right things but changed too much too quickly and that we could/should have things to look forward to.

But as ever with Dave, it’s all in the execution and his record there isn’t brilliant. 

Dave is never going to intentionally put himself in the firing line. Needs to be liked.

I would be surprised if the "outstanding" candidate who accepted a job in England before Glass was appointed isn't Danny Cowley - I think Scott Burns said previously that he had been interviewed, and he was confirmed as manager by Portsmouth only a few days before we announced Glass. 

6 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Already wound up at the reference to ibrox (and this was hunter, not Dave) and that being the best football we’ve played as a club in a long time. 

The point though was that VAR would’ve seen us win. 1) I’m not sure VAR would’ve overturned those decisions, in fact I’m fairly certain they wouldn’t and 2) why is the question not about the fact we saw those performances a handful of times? 

I’m sure they said Crawford Allan told us VAR would’ve disallowed both h*n goals that night. 
Offside. Factual event, not subjective. 
Not even Beaton etc can argue with that. 

7 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Cormark interview is ok but no mention about the financial position of the club.

This season we have posted over 5 million loss, in the bottom 6 and knocked out of the domestic cups early. 

Im sure that loss at the time the accounts were released didnt include the insurance money and other incoming that balanced it out?

Sure we were told ultimately through player sales and insurance etc we had made sure we hadnt lost money ultimately over covid

Have to say I enjoyed listening to that. Cormack got it wrong appointing Glass but I think he has the club on the right track overall in terms of our structure, use of data, community work, training ground/stadium projects, ‘matchday experience’, youth academy etc.

Rightly or wrongly, none of that will matter to the support if the results on the pitch aren’t there. There are certainly some sizeable concerns there but I think we are fortunate to have someone who is a genuine supporter of the club (he was in Gothenburg don’t you know…), is able to put millions into the club and has a proper vision as to how a modern football club should operate.

26 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Have to say I enjoyed listening to that. Cormack got it wrong appointing Glass but I think he has the club on the right track overall in terms of our structure, use of data, community work, training ground/stadium projects, ‘matchday experience’, youth academy etc.

Rightly or wrongly, none of that will matter to the support if the results on the pitch aren’t there. There are certainly some sizeable concerns there but I think we are fortunate to have someone who is a genuine supporter of the club (he was in Gothenburg don’t you know…), is able to put millions into the club and has a proper vision as to how a modern football club should operate.

Found it intriguing that Cormack said that Darren Mowbray had been watching 3 games in Slovakia and Theo Snelders had had a Dutch player in his house to chat about Aberdeen.

Clearly trying to identify a few more who like Besuijen have potential.

Found it intriguing that Cormack said that Darren Mowbray had been watching 3 games in Slovakia and Theo Snelders had had a Dutch player in his house to chat about Aberdeen.
Clearly trying to identify a few more who like Besuijen have potential.

Encouraging that we’re thinking outside the box. We’ve done well to pick up good SPFL players in recent years (Shinnie, McLean, Ferguson, McCrorie) but we’ll probably be competing with Hearts, Hibs, United etc for these kind of guys nowadays so it makes sense to look elsewhere as well.

Some good sleuthing from the ‘Here we go’ boys here if anyone wants to predict some incoming Slovaks:

I'll go for Fastav Zlin's center mid David Tkac as replacement for Ferguson. 19YO and scored 6 goals in 15 starts (22 appearances) for the team at the top of the Czech relegation group (aka bottom 6) who've only scored 36 times this season. Plays as either a ball winning or box to box midfielder according to this random site google sent me to.

11 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Encouraging that we’re thinking outside the box. We’ve done well to pick up good SPFL players in recent years (Shinnie, McLean, Ferguson, McCrorie) but we’ll probably be competing with Hearts, Hibs, United etc for these kind of guys nowadays so it makes sense to look elsewhere as well.

Some good sleuthing from the ‘Here we go’ boys here if anyone wants to predict some incoming Slovaks:

Work permits will surely be an issue though?

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I idly wondered this when we signed Besuijen, without reading up on what the criteria are for permits now. Hibs signed Melkersen in January too, so maybe there's not all that much friction?

They shouldn’t be. In Scotland, if a player doesn’t meet the criteria for caps and/or league appearances at a certain standard then it goes to a panel who almost always provide an endorsement anyway.

6 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

@Casagolda linked to an article from our HoR in our thread the other day, basically talking about how the Exemptions Panel being made permanent up here means we can be "creative" in the territories we're able to look for recruitment.

It's worth a read: https://blog.transferroom.com/brexit-opening-new-daws-in-recruitment-for-motherwell-fc

Daws tells TransferRoom: “The Exemptions Panel we have in Scotland means we can recruit from outside the UK and that was an important part of the TransferRoom Summit. The real benefit for me was that agent networking - the more contacts we can build with agents outside of the UK is a key aspect of our business.”

Daws continues: “The challenge we have with a club with our budget is that we are competing with teams in England, in the Championship and League One, but they are probably unlikely to recruit from outside the UK. 

“So what the Exemption Panel does is enable us to be smarter in recruitment and open the market up to more players, for instance the three players we brought in, a Norwegian, a Finn and an American, all within our budget.”