The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

57 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Great to see the fans turn on the manager after all of seven games.

Don’t think fans have turned on him, just disappointed he hasn’t made a bit more of an impact so far. 

Wonder if the club is still paying for 3 managers, JG SG and DMc? 🤣

Just now, big al said:

Don’t think fans have turned on him, just disappointed he hasn’t made a bit more of an impact so far. 

Wonder if the club is still paying for 3 managers, JG SG and DMc? 🤣

Or was McIness’ contract finished?

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Great to see the fans turn on the manager after all of seven games.

That's correct, he needs time, and he'll get time as the pressure will ease as soon as we secure our safety.

But if we don't secure our safety, then his 11th and 12th games are going to see intense pressure on the team and scrutiny on his position and decisions.

19 hours ago, tarapoa said:

If there's one phrase that's really getting irritating it's this 'throwing under a bus' thing.

Goodwin even used it this week.

It paints a picture of people in football as these sensitive primadonnas that can't accept the cold hard reality that others need to in everyday life.

Does Goodwin really have to do anything other than pretend that lamentable performance was anything other than completely unacceptable for fear of upsetting the poor wee souls ahead of the last few matches?  He has to take a good look at himself today - tactics, motivation, gameplan, substitutions - all questionable for a 'must win' home game against a side on the fraction of our budget.

Aye but if you tell players they’re not good enough, and won’t be playing for you next season, do you really think they will be as motivated as if, for example,  you say your future in undecided, prove to me you’re worth a new deal?

Different if you drop them completely out of the squad.

Would you really bust a gut for a manager thats told you you’re shite and not good at your job, why would you help him succeed?

Its poor man management. Terry Butcher’s Hibs half season was the greatest example of how badly it can go wrong.

19 hours ago, tarapoa said:

If there's one phrase that's really getting irritating it's this 'throwing under a bus' thing.

Goodwin even used it this week.

It paints a picture of people in football as these sensitive primadonnas that can't accept the cold hard reality that others need to in everyday life.

Does Goodwin really have to do anything other than pretend that lamentable performance was anything other than completely unacceptable for fear of upsetting the poor wee souls ahead of the last few matches?  He has to take a good look at himself today - tactics, motivation, gameplan, substitutions - all questionable for a 'must win' home game against a side on the fraction of our budget.

Playing devils advocate here. Looking at the state of Aberdeen before Goodwin came in, the size of the budget doesn't matter as it was clearly misspent.

If someone chooses to spend £500k on a skoda, doesn't mean it has a god given right to beat a porche 911 in a race.

23 minutes ago, Buddiesaint said:

Playing devils advocate here. Looking at the state of Aberdeen before Goodwin came in, the size of the budget doesn't matter as it was clearly misspent.

If someone chooses to spend £500k on a skoda, doesn't mean it has a god given right to beat a porche 911 in a race.

Judging a manager without a transfer window seems premature. 

Is the skoda JET? 

Just now, coprolite said:

Judging a manager without a transfer window seems premature. 

Good luck with that. Goodwin has a habit of signing shite forwards.

I honestly think you will have no problems staying up.

Looking increasingly likely that Robinson had killed the team spirit in our dressing room. 

I like Goodwin, but he only got the Dons job on the back of a few lucky results after the winter break.

He is a very decent hard working individual. I wish you had never sacked Glass as it’s killed the momentum we had. 

A couple of days and the gloom of Saturday's display hasn't dissipated.

Eight years we've had of checking Bert Kassies and his coefficients website, and the exotic excitement of European draws.  From the conical beaches and tapas bars of San Sebastian, to Macedonia, Kazakhstan, Lapland, Lisbon, Georgia.....and Burnley. Watching our club pull off fine victories in tough venues such as Groningen, Rijeka and Stavanger and building up a reasonable seeding points total for ourselves, despite the obvious glass ceiling in the Europa.

Just as the new format opens up the opportunity for more Scottish clubs to have aspirations to go deeper in European competition, we have the rug pulled from under our feet.

Our chairman talks of a dream in us being in Europe's top #100 clubs - yet all he's seemingly done is remove what was becoming a fairly straightforward box to tick on an annual basis of at least being at the party in the first place. Now a Hearts side, who have been yo-yo'ing between leagues for much of the last decade look set to take advantage and that really grates.............

Without going over all the divisive old ground, it all still seems so unnecessary.

Edited by tarapoa

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

A couple of days and the gloom of Saturday's display hasn't dissipated.

Eight years we've had of checking Bert Kassies and his coefficients website, and the exotic excitement of European draws.  From the conical beaches and tapas bars of San Sebastian, to Macedonia, Kazakhstan, Lapland, Lisbon, Georgia.....and Burnley. Watching our club pull off fine victories in tough venues such as Groningen, Rijeka and Stavanger and building up a reasonable seeding points total for ourselves, despite the obvious glass ceiling in the Europa.

Just as the new format opens up the opportunity for more Scottish clubs to have aspirations to go deeper in European competition, we have the rug pulled from under our feet.

Our chairman talks of a dream in us being in Europe's top #100 clubs - yet all he's seemingly done is remove what was becoming a fairly straightforward box to tick on an annual basis of at least being at the party in the first place. Now a Hearts side, who have been yo-yo'ing between leagues for much of the last decade look set to take advantage and that really grates.............

Without going over all the divisive old ground, it all still seems so unnecessary.

We're in a very worrying place.

The goodish news is that I think the "expansive football" fantasy has been put to bed. Goodwin's interviews all point to him being a hard-line pragmatist and he wouldn't be saying the stuff he's saying if Cormack hadn't signed off on the change of approach.  But it does provoke the obvious question, wtf has the past year been about?  Couldn't Cormack have got to where he is now by thinking harder and respecting the opinions of football professionals instead of indulging this expensive, destructive and entirely predictably failed experiment?  Or by realising that his job isn't to pander to the on-line fruitcakes, it's to know better than them?

Because, even assuming we can avoid relegation, where we are now has the unmistakable whiff of shit creek.  Goodwin thinks he's a pragmatist but from the way he's talking about recruitment I think he's seriously underestimated the difficulty of bringing quality players to this club.  I predict he'll have a very different opinion in 2 or 3 months time.

Basically he needs to recruit almost an entire team.  Of the guys likely to be here next season I'd say only Barron, Besuijen and McCrorie look like reasonably solid positives, and two of them are inexperienced kids.  Bates, Gallagher and MacKenzie are first team possibles but they will be weak links unless they have much more consistent seasons next time.  Watkins is talented but fragile.  Hayes is questionable at full back and I'm not sure he has another year in him.

So we're probably going to have to sign 10 or more new faces.  And no club at our level will get that many new signings right.  If a successful signing is one that deservedly commands a first team place when fit, I'd guess our success rate is typically about 30%. If we get 50% Goodwin will have done very well.  And I still doubt that would be enough to deliver anything better than mid-table.

Even Goodwin does a good job - and that's a massive if - I think it'll take him 3 or 4 windows to to get us to the level we've taken for granted over the previous 8 seasons. By then Hearts, pumped up with European money that could have been ours, might be impossible to catch.  It really has been the most monumental clusterfuck.  And almost entirely self-inflicted.

29 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

We're in a very worrying place.

The goodish news is that I think the "expansive football" fantasy has been put to bed. Goodwin's interviews all point to him being a hard-line pragmatist and he wouldn't be saying the stuff he's saying if Cormack hadn't signed off on the change of approach.  But it does provoke the obvious question, wtf has the past year been about?  Couldn't Cormack have got to where he is now by thinking harder and respecting the opinions of football professionals instead of indulging this expensive, destructive and entirely predictably failed experiment?  Or by realising that his job isn't to pander to the on-line fruitcakes, it's to know better than them?

Because, even assuming we can avoid relegation, where we are now has the unmistakable whiff of shit creek.  Goodwin thinks he's a pragmatist but from the way he's talking about recruitment I think he's seriously underestimated the difficulty of bringing quality players to this club.  I predict he'll have a very different opinion in 2 or 3 months time.

Basically he needs to recruit almost an entire team.  Of the guys likely to be here next season I'd say only Barron, Besuijen and McCrorie look like reasonably solid positives, and two of them are inexperienced kids.  Bates, Gallagher and MacKenzie are first team possibles but they will be weak links unless they have much more consistent seasons next time.  Watkins is talented but fragile.  Hayes is questionable at full back and I'm not sure he has another year in him.

So we're probably going to have to sign 10 or more new faces.  And no club at our level will get that many new signings right.  If a successful signing is one that deservedly commands a first team place when fit, I'd guess our success rate is typically about 30%. If we get 50% Goodwin will have done very well.  And I still doubt that would be enough to deliver anything better than mid-table.

Even Goodwin does a good job - and that's a massive if - I think it'll take him 3 or 4 windows to to get us to the level we've taken for granted over the previous 8 seasons. By then Hearts, pumped up with European money that could have been ours, might be impossible to catch.  It really has been the most monumental clusterfuck.  And almost entirely self-inflicted.

It will absolutely take 2/3 years to get a team that he’s happy with. Nobody can sign half a squad(at least) and get them all right. 
Glass had the same problem and wasn’t given time as there’s no patience in football these days. 
The people at the club and the fans probably think it’s a bigger draw for players to sign here than alot of players do. That’s the sad reality.

As for Hearts, they are way ahead on various aspects, despite being relegated twice in recent times.

Renovated stadium with a cracking atmosphere for starters. Bigger season ticket numbers and good income streams from that rich guy Anderson? and the foundation etc.

Maybe not many home grown players getting into the team is a negative for them.

The short version of my opinion is that the club have tried to do too much change too quickly. 

Cormack speaks well and clearly has a can do attitude but a more phased approach to the football side may have been prudent. 

Changing the manager, most of the squad, the structure of the football operation, the shift of our scouting network to overseas and linking up with Atlanta. Filling those senior positions with generally inexperienced people all the whilst coming out of a pandemic that gave our finances a heavy dunt, it’s not exactly that surprising that we find ourselves in a large mess.

The mcinnes era was over but cormack maybe got carried away with the online narrative that things were horrific and needed changed from top to bottom when in actual fact it had just gone a bit stale. 

In principle a lot of the changes are good. A director of football, head of recruitment, expanding out network are all positives but it’s all just been thrown together in a bit of a rush. 

Sill upset after Saturday non-performance which the players didn't seem up for it. If we are dragged into a relegation fight then I don't know if they have the fight that others teams will have. 

Don't understand why Goodwin is doing the clear out before the most important game of the season, the contracts should have been done this week when we don't have a game on.