The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

35 minutes ago, ShadyLane said:

Getting rid of your best defender when defensively shocking seems like a smart move.

A 35 year old who’s just recovering from an 8 month injury.

No-one knows how fit he is or if he’s capable of playing at a high level still.

No-one knows if he was looking for a 2 year deal, as was rumoured - if so, he’s deluded.

At best, 12 months only. At best. 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

A 35 year old who’s just recovering from an 8 month injury.

No-one knows how fit he is or if he’s capable of playing at a high level still.

No-one knows if he was looking for a 2 year deal, as was rumoured - if so, he’s deluded.

At best, 12 months only. At best. 

I’d be amazed if he wanted more than a year to the point when he demanded it given his character, especially given Goodwin suggested it was more or less agreed.

I'm not jumping to conclusions.  I always thought there was a pretty good chance this injury would finish him.  His career was having a bit of an Indian summer, but he was never blessed with pace, already a veteran at the start of the season, now a year older and we can't have total confidence in his recovery.

Goodwin will have his budget and he has to take a view about what Conso is worth to the squad.  I'd expect his service to the club to be taken into account, and I'm sure it will have been - the club is aware that he's a popular player.  But if they are too far apart and Goodwin thinks the money can be better spent elsewhere, his job is to say so.

Rumours of a Ramirez transfer request, 200k fee for Dunne and Lewis, Woods, Jet and McLennan being told they can move on.

Had severe doubts about Goodwin, and while he deserves the chance to gut the squad, I’m quite concerned at what’s to come - especially given the Dunne idea and fee.

The Considine situation is made worse by the Devlin situation that came before it. If Devlin hadn’t been allowed to stick around for 2 years then it wouldn’t sting so much. Realistically, letting Consi go (in isolation) is the right choice, imo. 35, bad injury etc…. Signing Dunne however….

33 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Exacerbated by apparently replacing him with Charles Dunne.

I was criticised on here a week or so ago for saying we are cutting the wage bill but we definitely are. 

Ramirez, Lewis, McGeouch, Ojo and Considine are being allowed to leave as they are high earners.

Dunne and Harry Milne (Cove Rangers) are going to be on much lower wages. Spending £200,000 on Dunne is total madness.

No wonder St Mirren fans are offering to drive Dunne north.

I find it strange ahead of a big game where all the focus should be that this stuff comes out now - especially as we have a fortnight off afterwards, and maybe little left to play for should Saturday go against us.

Is it official? Or perhaps a naughty agent trying to break a Mexican standoff in the negotiations, by looking to get the fans' goodwill towards Andy to put pressure on the club.

If so, judging by some of the pant-pi$sing over-reactions on the usual channels it's working.

I think it's very conceivable he ends of up at Cove (if they secure promotion) or even one of the Dundee clubs should terms not be agreed.

When we first found out how bad his injury was my first thought was ‘that could be him finished’. 

I think we’d all love Andy to return but at his age it was always a distinct possibility that he wouldn’t be up to it even when the knee recovered. 

That being said, if it’s a case of Goodwin just trying to make his mark then that’s a very brave and very questionable move. I will reserve judgement until we know more. 

I also disagree that letting go of ojo and mcgeough indicates cost cutting. It makes perfect sense to get rid of high earners that aren’t expected to be regular choices. 

I was criticised on here a week or so ago for saying we are cutting the wage bill but we definitely are. 
Ramirez, Lewis, McGeouch, Ojo and Considine are being allowed to leave as they are high earners.
Dunne and Harry Milne (Cove Rangers) are going to be on much lower wages. Spending £200,000 on Dunne is total madness.
No wonder St Mirren fans are offering to drive Dunne north.

Quite a reach to claim that based on tabloid headlines months before the transfer window actually opens.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Is it really that controversial a decision to let Andy go?

As much as we love the fact that he's a one club guy, he'd have been off years ago if he was good enough.

You’re not meant to say that. It’s kind of like someone being in eastenders for 30 years, it’s ultimately a relatively failed acting career. But no one ever says it. 

Shame on you. 

55 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It's not like he wasn't offered a contract. 3 year deal with Cove incoming. 

Hopefully our days of offering ex-prem players in their mid-thirties 3 year deals are behind us. CB is an area we need to improve so would take Considine at Cove but anything more than a 1 year deal wouldn't be wise.

Reading here that Harry Milne is linked with the Dons. I know other prem clubs are interested. Our best player by some distance and out of contract in the summer. Be absolutely gutted to lose him. Any source to the interest of just hearsay?

Edited by CoveRangers1922

8 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Hopefully our days of offering ex-prem players in their mid-thirties 3 year deals are behind us. CB is an area we need to improve so would take Considine at Cove but anything more than a 1 year deal wouldn't be wise.

Reading here that Harry Milne is linked with the Dons. I know other prem clubs are interested. Our best player by some distance and out of contract in the summer. Be absolutely gutted to lose him. Any source to the interest of just hearsay?

I've heard he's moving to the central belt.