The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is likely where hearts taking 3rd and potential group stage football starts to bite us. 

It is so very AFC to be consistently the best performing side in Europe outwith the uglies for years on end and then when it really matters in terms of guaranteed group stages to produce this utter $hitshow. 

If we don't get three points on Saturday, and assuming neither Dundee/St Johnstone suddenly start putting wins together, then the remainder of the season is seven bounce matches.

image.png.117f9efb49f51493e1a63ea2d52fbbd8.png

21 hours ago, kingjoey said:

No idea why people are attempting to re-write reality with Joe Lewis. He has made mistakes, of course he has with a very few absolute howlers, but so have Craig Gordon and Alan McGregor. He has been, and is, our best keeper in absolutely ages and if we bring in Alnwick or Clark it’s a downgrade. The only way I’d understand us getting rid of him is if he is desperate to leave, and he may be, who knows. Nobody on here that’s for sure.

Alan McGregor has been criticised heavily at times this season and rightly so. I don't think it can be argued that he isn't in a decline - which is understandable given he is 40 years old. So I'm not sure the argument that he makes mistakes is an absolution of Lewis somehow given the fact that we will likely be looking to bring in a new keeper of our own (or promote McLaughlin to first choice if McGregor decides to stay on for another season).

3 hours ago, AJF said:

Alan McGregor has been criticised heavily at times this season and rightly so. I don't think it can be argued that he isn't in a decline - which is understandable given he is 40 years old. So I'm not sure the argument that he makes mistakes is an absolution of Lewis somehow given the fact that we will likely be looking to bring in a new keeper of our own (or promote McLaughlin to first choice if McGregor decides to stay on for another season).

I don't think Joe Lewis is on decline. I simply used the comparison with McGregor and Gordon as they have been widely lauded as the best keepers in the country. Lewis has age on his side.

9 hours ago, tarapoa said:

It is so very AFC to be consistently the best performing side in Europe outwith the uglies for years on end and then when it really matters in terms of guaranteed group stages to produce this utter $hitshow. 

If we don't get three points on Saturday, and assuming neither Dundee/St Johnstone suddenly start putting wins together, then the remainder of the season is seven bounce matches.

image.png.117f9efb49f51493e1a63ea2d52fbbd8.png

Pretty sure, like last season when the group stages were “guaranteed”, it isn’t yet guaranteed. I think a couple of things have to happen to make that the case, but no idea what.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Pretty sure, like last season when the group stages were “guaranteed”, it isn’t yet guaranteed. I think a couple of things have to happen to make that the case, but no idea what.

Is it not that it’s the final play off qualifier for europa league groups, so if you lose it’s guaranteed UEFA conference groups?

33 minutes ago, big al said:

Is it not that it’s the final play off qualifier for europa league groups, so if you lose it’s guaranteed UEFA conference groups?

I think that what isn’t guaranteed is that the Scottish Cup winners, or third place if the winners are in the Champions League, aren’t yet guaranteed a place in the Europa League play off round. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

It won't matter to us, anyway. Other than losing out on it...

I think that what isn’t guaranteed is that the Scottish Cup winners, or third place if the winners are in the Champions League, aren’t yet guaranteed a place in the Europa League play off round. 

I think Sevco’s continued fluke wins, together with likely non-participation from Russian clubs and AFC making an erse of it just when our club and country coefficient has gone up a level means we will have the joy of watching Hearts make a few million - even if they lose the Europa play-off.

Still we’ll have Cowdenbeath in the Betfred - nice one Mr Cormack……

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

I think Sevco’s continued fluke wins, together with likely non-participation from Russian clubs and AFC making an erse of it just when our club and country coefficient has gone up a level means we will have the joy of watching Hearts make a few million - even if they lose the Europa play-off.

Everyone was dead for it and glad that "cnt" Milne was gone, reap what you sow unfortunately 

15 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I hope so, I've never seen the Dons play Cowdenbeath

It's unfortunate that in the upcoming season where failure could equal success (as well as a lot of revenue for the club) in Europe, we won't be involved.

We've never been knocked out of one European competition and landed in another.

I would say the last seven or eight years of European competition has been getting gradually more frustrating with each passing year, as we seemed to been having our own version of 'Groundhog Day' with each European season seemingly on the same loop.

Perhaps with the turnaround in playing staff, a more gentle start in the League Cup groups might be wiser.

Besides, I really don't think we would have the depth in squad to play European competition until the winter. We certainly didn't under McInnes.

Edited by Bogbrush1903