The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I’m interested to know what general thoughts are on David bates…

I was listening to the terrace and they regularly absolutely batter him for being shite. 

I think it’s a little over the top and don’t think they have given him credit for steadying himself mid season but tbh he gives me the fear. The last few weeks he’s looked absolutely lost at times. Penalty on Saturday aside, there was the incident with tony watt on the ball down the right hand side where he was just beaten so easily it was toe curling. Van veen has bullied him more than once. 

My verdict - not good enough but not quite the disaster the terrace make out. 

I generally know thoughts on Gallagher, hence not including him…

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I was listening to the terrace and they regularly absolutely batter him for being shite. 

What do you mean by "the terrace"? Section Y, View from The Terrace (which I find impossible to watch) or something else?

With regards Sticky Bates, as he's known on Wikipedia, there's a wide disparity between his playing 'qualities' and his wages. The same goes for Gallagher.

Bates must have a very good agent is my conclusion.

3 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

What do you mean by "the terrace"? Section Y, View from The Terrace (which I find impossible to watch) or something else?

With regards Sticky Bates, as he's known on Wikipedia, there's a wide disparity between his playing 'qualities' and his wages. The same goes for Gallagher.

Bates must have a very good agent is my conclusion.

The terrace podcast (the guys behind the view from the terrace). The tv show isn’t to my taste either but the podcast is generally good discussion about Scottish football. 

23 hours ago, gannonball said:

The Hell was that about throwing a flare at a crowd at a friendly? Is there some rivalry from the 80s Im not aware of?

I do remember that the sports shop that sold official club stuff (was it Rosslyn Sports? By Bruce Miller’s) used to sell half and half Aberdeen and Everton scarves- would have been 85 ish?. I don't remember there ever being any sort of link up or affinity apart from that Scarf though. 

51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think it’s a little over the top and don’t think they have given him credit for steadying himself mid season but tbh he gives me the fear. The last few weeks he’s looked absolutely lost at times. Penalty on Saturday aside, there was the incident with tony watt on the ball down the right hand side where he was just beaten so easily it was toe curling. Van veen has bullied him more than once. 

My verdict - not good enough but not quite the disaster the terrace make out. 

I generally know thoughts on Gallagher, hence not including him…

Like most, I thought that he had a poor start to his career with us, but definitely came on to a decent game from around early December. He looked pretty steady, but has turned to shit with Ross McCrorie going out suspended/injured/moved position. You can only assume that he felt comfortable playing alongside McCrorie but doesn’t feel the same security playing with Gallagher, who I thought had a good game on Saturday. Thankfully we stopped United’s attacking presence in the second half so Bates not really tested. I remember the incident with Watt in the first half and Bates looked as if he was panicking trying to stop Watt while already on a booking. And you have to question the mentality of a defender who fouls an attacker when he’s about to leave the penalty box and head for the corner flag.

54 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Like most, I thought that he had a poor start to his career with us, but definitely came on to a decent game from around early December. He looked pretty steady, but has turned to shit with Ross McCrorie going out suspended/injured/moved position. You can only assume that he felt comfortable playing alongside McCrorie but doesn’t feel the same security playing with Gallagher, who I thought had a good game on Saturday. Thankfully we stopped United’s attacking presence in the second half so Bates not really tested. I remember the incident with Watt in the first half and Bates looked as if he was panicking trying to stop Watt while already on a booking. And you have to question the mentality of a defender who fouls an attacker when he’s about to leave the penalty box and head for the corner flag.

He does have his merits. He was starting attacks from the back against rangers at pittodrie really well and obviously a great ball for the goal at fir park a couple of weeks ago.

I just strongly suspect he’s a poor defender. Agree Gallagher looked more solid on Saturday. 

I’ve seen a couple of people saying that last night was our worst performance of the season, but these folk obviously didn’t see our latest away game at St Mirren. We really, really miss Ross McCrorie when he’s not playing as normally he at least gives us a bit of fight and energy in whatever position he’s playing. Not 100% sure if he’s missing because of injury or Covid, but if it is Covid I hope that he’s well and good to come back against Rangers on Saturday. I trust that our habit of playing well against Rangers this season, regardless of how our form is when we play them, will continue on Saturday. Unless we remarkably turn our form round we are destined for bottom six and a potential battle to stay in this league.

17 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’ve seen a couple of people saying that last night was our worst performance of the season, but these folk obviously didn’t see our latest away game at St Mirren. We really, really miss Ross McCrorie when he’s not playing as normally he at least gives us a bit of fight and energy in whatever position he’s playing. Not 100% sure if he’s missing because of injury or Covid, but if it is Covid I hope that he’s well and good to come back against Rangers on Saturday. I trust that our habit of playing well against Rangers this season, regardless of how our form is when we play them, will continue on Saturday. Unless we remarkably turn our form round we are destined for bottom six and a potential battle to stay in this league.

St Mirren was worse but that really was terrible last night. We looked every bit like bottom 6 pish last night, just there to avoid a pumping. 

I think top 6 is gone tbh and the best we can hope for is that the season just comes to a very dull close without getting sucked into anything more serious. This is a team devoid of any confidence or quality at the moment. 

I keep hearing we have a good squad but I just don’t see it. I think we have a first XI that should be doing much better but beyond that what is there? 

And for the love of god can scott brown no longer be an automatic pick when he’s fit. The guy looks absolutely done of late. So either take him out the team for a period or let him pursue is management career. 

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

And for the love of god can scott brown no longer be an automatic pick when he’s fit. The guy looks absolutely done of late. So either take him out the team for a period or let him pursue is management career. 

I didn't see the match last night but I was so disappointed to see Brown in the first XI.

I thought the team and shape that finished against United did enough to warrant another go, unless there was injuries.

I was hoping that Goodwin would ease Brown out and stop playing him.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The full squad is, but the players available just now aren't. 

Is it though…? Players missing last night were:

mccrorie (yes, a big miss)

JET (doubt we’ll see him again)

Montgomery (nope)

considine (yes, a big miss)

ramsay (yes, but very hit or miss of late)

Watkins (god I miss him)

So the above make a difference but does it make us a good squad? It still lacks real pace and creativity, still reliant on an 18 year old RB and LB is weak too. Ramirez has been great but the lack of options to change things up top when he’s isolated is also killing us. 

35 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Is this squad not even "good on paper" anymore?

I don't think it is. Too many players who are injury prone or living off past reputations for it to be a good squad.

I went through our squad list as it is on Wikipedia and quickly did a "keep" and "punt" list.

Keep...

Joe Lewis
Ross McCrorie
Jack MacKenzie
Andrew Considine
Christian Ramirez
Vicente Besuijen
Jonny Hayes
Lewis Ferguson
Michael Ruth     
Connor Barron
Calvin Ramsay

Punt...

Declan Gallagher     
Michael Devlin     
Marley Watkins     
Scott Brown
Adam Montgomery
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
Dylan McGeouch     
Funso Ojo     
Connor McLennan
Teddy Jenks     
Gary Woods     
David Bates     
Matty Kennedy
Dean Campbell

I really hope that Goodwin has a good eye for a player and has a list already forming for the summer. We've had a fair number of transfer windows that have failed to strength or improve the squad now and its really showing now.

Edited by NorthernLights

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Is it though…? Players missing last night were:

mccrorie (yes, a big miss)

JET (doubt we’ll see him again)

Montgomery (nope)

considine (yes, a big miss)

ramsay (yes, but very hit or miss of late)

Watkins (god I miss him)

So the above make a difference but does it make us a good squad? It still lacks real pace and creativity, still reliant on an 18 year old RB and LB is weak too. Ramirez has been great but the lack of options to change things up top when he’s isolated is also killing us. 

I would say so. Four of those players that you've mentioned as big misses would be starting. Not far off half a starting XI.

Going to the third best team in the league missing players of that quality will be a struggle. There's not much of the Hearts team I'd take ahead of ours, everyone fit. Hearts are still reaping the benefits of a fantastic start to the season. Everyone else has been playing catch up and haven't managed to capitalise on the blips they have.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I would say so. Four of those players that you've mentioned as big misses would be starting. Not far off half a starting XI.

Going to the third best team in the league missing players of that quality will be a struggle. There's not much of the Hearts team I'd take ahead of ours, everyone fit. Hearts are still reaping the benefits of a fantastic start to the season. Everyone else has been playing catch up and haven't managed to capitalise on the blips they have.

True but are the players they’d replace part of a good squad? I.e. if they are all starting can we look at the bench and say it’s any good? 

Kennedy, ojo, brown, bates/Gallagher probably drop out for those 4…

13 hours ago, Ding dong said:

I'm wondering if there are any Dons fans out there willing to describe Cormack's reign as Chairman as anything other than an unmitigated disaster? 

I think I read a whole ago that people were calling this a 'transitional period'. 

Well , lol. I think we've gone well past that. 

When Mcinnes left Cormack had one job, and one job only. To appoint some one who would build on the rather strong foundations that had been left behind. 

Instead, in a fit of arrogance, hubris and utter incompetence that could well set the club back years, he appointed a mate who was wholly unsuited for and incapable of, managing a football team. 

I dare say Cormack fancies himself as a cross between Donald and Anderson, but he's actually the Chairman equivalent of Mark McGhee.

It's hard to believe how much our club has fallen in 18 short months, that now we're desperate for Dundee and the Fermers to keep on losing, to keep us in the league. 

spot on mate 👍

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

True but are the players they’d replace part of a good squad? I.e. if they are all starting can we look at the bench and say it’s any good? 

Kennedy, ojo, brown, bates/Gallagher probably drop out for those 4…

I'd say they are. I think all are fine as players that can cover injuries or suspension. I don't think any are good enough to start though.

I don't think we have a poor or even average squad. It's certainly underperforming though.

14 hours ago, Ding dong said:

I'm wondering if there are any Dons fans out there willing to describe Cormack's reign as Chairman as anything other than an unmitigated disaster? 

I think I read a whole ago that people were calling this a 'transitional period'. 

Well , lol. I think we've gone well past that. 

When Mcinnes left Cormack had one job, and one job only. To appoint some one who would build on the rather strong foundations that had been left behind. 

Instead, in a fit of arrogance, hubris and utter incompetence that could well set the club back years, he appointed a mate who was wholly unsuited for and incapable of, managing a football team. 

I dare say Cormack fancies himself as a cross between Donald and Anderson, but he's actually the Chairman equivalent of Mark McGhee.

It's hard to believe how much our club has fallen in 18 short months, that now we're desperate for Dundee and the Fermers to keep on losing, to keep us in the league. 

Cormark badly got the manager wrong and I don't like him on social media although that has went very quiet. Goodwin looks on paper a safe appointment. On a positive note Cormark created an atmosphere at Pittodrie with the red shed.