The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

18 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

If players weren't able to develop because the fans were angry bellends then no Aberdeen player would have developed in my lifetime.

That's not me defending Glass or the current situation in any way but I don't think the fans should be having that much of an effect. Aberdeen fans are always miserable and ready to turn more than most clubs.

That's the Pittodrie of my youth...

58 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Well, who was the last player pre McInnes to go for good money? Anderson in 2007 for £1,000,000? 

McInnes comes in and does a good job, meaning we're able to nurture "talent" like Cosgrove, Ferguson, Mckenna...all of whom made/will make the club good money. 

I remember guys like Paton, Megginson, Jack coming through in the McGhee days. Most of them didn't go on to make it for Aberdeen, with the exception of the rat Jack, but he really only came on to a game under McInnes- when the club started doing well. 

Point being, it's hard to nurture sellable talent when the on pitch performance is poor. Ideally these guys are getting bedded into what is already a good side with good pros to help them. We don't have a good side at the moment, and most of our experienced pros are fucking dogmeat. 

There's a difference between Aberdeen fans being general moaners, which I know is the case, and this current predicament of anger and bordering hate towards the club and the ownership/staff. 

A bit of pressure is good, an expectation to win games. When it starts to turn as ugly and as sour as it's going atm, it can't be good for the development of young players. 

I mean I'm not sure things are all that much different from the fans now as they were for the last couple of years of McInnes. Regarding the development of players I'm still not convinced it's all that much to do with the fans. As you say McInnes came in and did well so it could be argued it was down to him but I'm not sure many would say that he was a manager that could overwhelmingly be described as someone that gave youth players a chance.

True about not receiving decent fees for players for some time but that could also be argued as being down to the clubs management of contracts. Someone like Fraser could have got us more money had the club managed his contract situation better. Even when Calderwood was doing pretty well as manager I don't remember us getting decent money for anyone either though.

1 minute ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Beyond just that, he wouldn't work in the current system. 

It's becoming clearer and clearer why Glass was the man hand picked. Just happy to be here and will bark like a dog when required. 

I don’t think it’s helpful to make sweeping statements about glass’ character. 

If the process to appoint him was shite (it was), it’s not his fault. He took the opportunity that arose for him. 

Just now, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

I'm not intending to be disparaging towards Glass in saying so. I'm just saying he's landed the jackpot in terms of his first ever management job, why would he want to ruffle any feathers? He's got no credentials to back up the position and it would only be natural for him to not want to clash with any superiors. 

Do you think Glass would've went knocking on the proverbial door in February 1st when we clearly missed out on a fair few targets? McInnes would've, because he had some pedigree to back up his position as a football manager. 

You don’t know that he didn’t. 

I guarantee that he won’t have been happy with how the January window went, in any case. 

13 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

No, I don't doubt that. But what position is he in to demand anything from the board? 

If I got offered a job way above my pay grade, and I was earning good money and had an excellent opportunity, and there were things I didn't like about the job. It's less likely I'd do and start complaining or making demands to bosses, I'd be happy to be there. 

Now, if Cormack appointed one of the experienced, competent men on the list, the chances of them accepting a January window like that with the season we've had, are slim to none. 

That's my only point. It's clear to me to see that's precisely why he was selected over undoubtedly more experienced, better candidates. 

That might be true but it seems unlikely. 

Pure supposition. 

31 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

If I got offered a job way above my pay grade, and I was earning good money and had an excellent opportunity, and there were things I didn't like about the job. It's less likely I'd do and start complaining or making demands to bosses, I'd be happy to be there. 

You would definitely start complaining and making demands if you were in a job where your time there is entirely dependant on performance.

You will be out on your arse if you just coast by and maintain you are just “happy to be there”.

31 minutes ago, AJF said:

You would definitely start complaining and making demands if you were in a job where your time there is entirely dependant on performance.

You will be out on your arse if you just coast by and maintain you are just “happy to be there”.

Not if your employer is a guy who would regard complaining and making demands as a sackable offense. 

McInnes was so enraged by Dave's behaviour in last year's window that he (very uncharacteristically) complained in the press.

A couple of months later he was gone.

Not if your employer is a guy who would regard complaining and making demands as a sackable offense. 
McInnes was so enraged by Dave's behaviour in last year's window that he (very uncharacteristically) complained in the press.

McInnes was backed heavily in his last season. The wage bill in that year was probably the biggest of any of his seasons at Aberdeen.

He clearly didn’t see eye to eye with Cormack but he lost his job because we went 10(?) games without scoring.

20 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

McInnes wanted full control of the incomings and outgoings. He has shown he had the ability to trust Russ Richardson on some gems. He also signed some utter dross.

Edited by Merkland Red

6 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

The fitbatweets gadgie is all aboard the #GoodwinTrain

He is terrible, you don't want a clown like him in charge 🤪.

5 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

St Mirren fans seem to flip flop between keeping him and sacking him. I don't think he's the answer.

Some fans on here were getting annoyed when we went about 10 without a win and he didn't change his system. Lo and behold he changes it and we are 4 wins and a draw from 5. 

I think he still has a bit to learn before he can move onto bigger and better things. He also, in my opinion, has to do something out of the box like make a cup final or get us into the top 6, so he has a bit of success on the cv. That will attract attention. 

Not well known for free flowing attacking football but he knows how to set up a team to be well drilled, organised and be a pain in the arse to play against. Players would run through brick walls for him.  A bit like Steve Clarke. Not sure if that style suits a team like Aberdeen who's fans want the team to be on the front foot nearly every game. 

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He is terrible, you don't want a clown like him in charge 🤪.

Some fans on here were getting annoyed when we went about 10 without a win and he didn't change his system. Lo and behold he changes it and we are 4 wins and a draw from 5. 

I think he still has a bit to learn before he can move onto bigger and better things. He also, in my opinion, has to do something out of the box like make a cup final or get us into the top 6, so he has a bit of success on the cv. That will attract attention. 

Not well known for free flowing attacking football but he knows how to set up a team to be well drilled, organised and be a pain in the arse to play against. Players would run through brick walls for him.  A bit like Steve Clarke. Not sure if that style suits a team like Aberdeen who's fans want the team to be on the front foot nearly every game.  

Did you miss the last two McInnes seasons? 

Edited by scoobles
Fkd up quote

But is Glass' job dependent on his performance? 

That remains to be seen. It seems like he's getting a a free hit of season. 

Im not suggesting Glass won't be disappointed with our window etc, what I'm saying is because of how he got the job (it being a farce) and because he was given a decent amount to spend in the summer and it seemed to go on tripe,  Ramirez and Brown (kind of) aside, what has he got behind him in any sense to be making demands? 

Whether or not he's agreed to it, or thinks he is or isn't, for me, it appears he's the fall guy for this shitshow. He's been set up to fail by the structure around him, and by the fact he's been given a job way beyond his credentials. 

Saw Glass and Dick Campbell interview tonight. Like chalk and cheese. What a miserable person Glass is, how can he motivate anyone.

8 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Saw Glass and Dick Campbell interview tonight. Like chalk and cheese. What a miserable person Glass is, how can he motivate anyone.

Stephen Glass has been in management for a year, Dick Campbell started in management 35 years ago. Not the best comparison you could have made.

6 hours ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

That remains to be seen. It seems like he's getting a a free hit of season. 

Unless things turn to shit, and I mean really turn to shit, regardless of what some fans would want, that was always going to be the case.