The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Old curmudgeon #1 - AFC do not have any 'legends' in this millennium.  For me the last that I would put in that category was a certain E.Jess esq

Niall McGinn, however, was an excellent servant - arguably the best this century alongside Anderson, Hayes and probably Considine.

You can be as curmudgeonly as you like, Niall McGinn is an Aberdeen Legend.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think the share price analogy is a good one, and it applies just as much to managers as players. It’s why the comparisons to Nathan pattersons fee just aren’t that relevant to Ramsay. 

Ultimately we’re relying on those within the club to know just how good he is really and then develop a strategy as to how we maximise value. We have a USP with Ramsay in that his assists record as an 18 year old is a stand out in the UK and beyond just now, so it may well be that we’re at the peak of his value just now. 

Personally I think he can develop more here but as always you’re gambling on injuries and form. 

Good points in both posts. There's no doubt Ramsey is a talented young player with a great future ahead of him, comfortable with both feet, can drift past a player and has plenty in terms of delivery. But as seen last night, still a lot to learn - as you would expect for someone so young. The constant promotion in the media in recent months has been an interesting watch - possibly a more aggressive approach by AFC to maximise their investment asap. And why not - there was a clear opportunity here. Firstly, he's a talented player. The withdrawal of English Premiership players from the U21s squad suddenly raised his profile still further. The article that he's the 'World's top teenage defender for Assists' by the local press was the latest example of keeping the foot firmly on the gas with stats and figures. The fact he only has two assists from open play in his entire career (one from wing back) is cleverly always glossed over! It will be interesting how this develops. I'm just aggrieved I was never allowed to take the corners and free kicks - my assist stats were crap!

54 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Just found this bargain buy on Classic Football Shirts. Somehow I don’t think the product description was written by an Aberdeen fan.

560f8725081c80cde9da1a419ea7f742.png
74e750ca3e49f4b037b62b5476174045.png

Coincidentally, I was on that site this afternoon, I didn't notice this...the best place for this product is on the shoulders of the guy at the top of a bonfire...

You can be as curmudgeonly as you like, Niall McGinn is an Aberdeen Legend.

Fair enough - but given your username is a true legend, it’s an interesting interpretation of what can be an overused phrase in football.

I prefer the thought that he’s in that band of players maybe one level down from legendary status at the club - but clearly it’s very subjective and point fully respected.

5 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Fair enough - but given your username is a true legend, it’s an interesting interpretation of what can be an overused phrase in football.

I prefer the thought that he’s in that band of players maybe one level down from legendary status at the club - but clearly it’s very subjective and point fully respected.

Undoubtedly Joe Harper is a Platinum Aberdeen Legend, but behind him there are a number of players who would be considered legends in their own right.

Have we had any since Jess hung up his boots that would be considered a legend?

I can think of plenty of good servants and cult hero’s , but off the top of my head I can’t think of any that would deserve that accolade 

Edited by Merkie84
Spelling

5 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

Have we had any since Jess hung up his boots that would be considered a legend?

I can think of plenty of good servants and cult hero’s , but off the top of my head I can’t think of any that would deserve that accolade 

Anderson is the closest for me.

It’s going to be pretty difficult for anyone to ever be a legend again if Willie Miller and fergie are the benchmarks to be honest, but maybe that’s just how it is at AFC. 

Anderson for me also is as close as it comes. Considine possibly falls under cult hero status, he’s no good enough to be a legend. 

I’ve been thinking how to place mcginn in this and then I realised it’s entirely subjective and not an actual title given out and I realised I was wasting my life. 

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

I see there are some concerns online around the current welfare of Kevin McNaughton, with one of his friends reaching out to get in touch with him.

Fingers crossed he is found safe and well.

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Just seen that. The tweets are very worrying. 

Just seen it. Not good. A cry for help at the very least and I hope someone manages to contact him.