The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Surely you lads haven’t actually turned down a straight offer of £3.3m for Ramsay?  I’m assuming that this was one of those deals where they pay circa £1m now with various spurious add ons? If you have turned down £3.3m up front that’s mental.

Why is it mental?

34 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If Patterson's went for £10,000,000+ and they got £3,000,000 rising to £5,000,000 for McKenna I don't think it's that mental. Especially if there are clubs down south keen on him as they will pay over the odds for UK players

Could be wrong but burly centre halfs seem to trade at a much higher premium in the Championship.

5 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Just seems a huge risk if his form takes a downturn. Even in today’s ludicrous market that’s a decent fee.

The kid is obviously class. Horrific injury aside, he's surely only going to get better.

Scottish clubs have been accepting mediocre fees for young talent for years. With the money involved down the road we should be rinsing the c***s. Especially with Brexit kicking in.

As a Jambo preparing to watch Souttar in Ibrox Blue in February while the transfer fee equivalent of a set of training tops makes its way to Tynecastle in return, I'm jealous in every respect of the idea of Ramsay going down south for a multi million pound fee.

28 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Just seems a huge risk if his form takes a downturn. Even in today’s ludicrous market that’s a decent fee.

His last 3 games he has been so bad and he is injury prone a bit. We do sell the Scottish market far too low - 3.3 million is not a decent fee when you look at the transfer market. 

Edited by betting competition

23 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Based on last nights performance I’m hoping we can cash in this month 

He obviously got something about him but I’ve not really seen huge amount to suggest he’s a £5 million player yet 

Really hope we don’t miss the boat on this one while the hype is there 

Amazing how quick everyone is to hang a young player out to dry.

He's not a £5million player yet. Folk will pay £5million because they think he has the potential to be a £25m player at some point.

Yeah folk are being a bit hasty. 

I remember Aaron hickey having an absolute nightmare at pittodrie when we won 3-2. It’s the nature of young guys coming into the team.

Ramsay has loads of talent and potential. His problem right now is that he’s not a very good defender but that’s a side of his game he can develop. 

There is a lack of creative in our team while a shortage of full backs, width and a Striker. So I hope we can sign another few players before the transfer window shuts next Monday. I'm still sitting on the fence with Glass but if he doesn't qualify for Europe then I think we should look for a new manager.  The money we have spent I would expect better football than we are watching just now.  February is a massive month for Glass. 

Edited by betting competition

1 hour ago, Frank Grimes said:

Based on last nights performance I’m hoping we can cash in this month 

He obviously got something about him but I’ve not really seen huge amount to suggest he’s a £5 million player yet 

Really hope we don’t miss the boat on this one while the hype is there 

Add in Rangers and Edinburgh City - do wonder if his head has been turned. 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Amazing how quick everyone is to hang a young player out to dry.

He's not a £5million player yet. Folk will pay £5million because they think he has the potential to be a £25m player at some point.

Harsh 

Not looking to hang the guy out to dry by any means 

I just hope we cash in at the right time 

Turning down £6 million for McKenna still lives rent free in my head 

On 24/01/2022 at 19:23, kingjoey said:

358 competitive games and 87 goals. 

15th in the club’s all time appearances.

Niall McGinn - Aberdeen Legend.

Old curmudgeon #1 - AFC do not have any 'legends' in this millennium.  For me the last that I would put in that category was a certain E.Jess esq

Niall McGinn, however, was an excellent servant - arguably the best this century alongside Anderson, Hayes and probably Considine.

On 24/01/2022 at 15:20, Leith Green said:

As to "the other Aberdeen signing", maybe you are back in for this guy?

image.png.8dd86c95f42fc1f68f88d89c7c10c190.png

Old curmudgeon #2 - I'm surprised how much mileage this one has got over the years, genuinely mince patter..........

Harsh 

Although, I agree with @Dons_1988 that we shouldn't be accepting the first offer, I'm also slightly concerned that we miss the optimal (sorry, I couldn't think of another word)time for selling him for maximum return.

I don't trust Glass and his team to utilise, train and look after him properly. For instance, I thought they should've taken him off earlier than they did against Sevco. He didn't look to be running freely, and he was having a torrid time during the game. He hasn't looked good since he returned from injury at Easter Road.

If we could transfer him for £4 million with add-ons for any future transfer, I think that would be a great piece of business. I know others would disagree with that, but a player is like a share price. There's so much that can suddenly affect positively or negatively the value, that my first instinct is to cash-in when a decent profit is on offer rather than gamble on future gains.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

24 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Old curmudgeon #1 - AFC do not have any 'legends' in this millennium.  For me the last that I would put in that category was a certain E.Jess esq

Niall McGinn, however, was an excellent servant - arguably the best this century alongside Anderson, Hayes and probably Considine.

Old curmudgeon #2 - I'm surprised how much mileage this one has got over the years, genuinely mince patter..........

I agree on all three points with the qualifier that it's good for the younger fans to think of players from their era as legends too. I mean not many of us living would class someone like Harry Yorston as a 'legend' for the club because we don't remember him but he undoubtedly was... 

I would also class Jess as the last 'legend' whilst the like of McGinn, Anderson and Considine a level below. They, in my opinion, would join the likes of Brian Grant from a previous era (I was going to add Brian Irvine but then I remembered the 1990 Scottish Cup Final penalty shoot-out)

The 'funny' names new signings are tedious, I include the Avon one in that....

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Harsh 

I’m pretty sure we didn’t turn down £6m. ..... I thought it was £7m. !

I think it was reported that Villa wanted to take him on loan initially , with an option to buy for £6m (or £7m) at the end of the loan period. 

So we turned down the possibility of a £6/7m fee , rather than a certain £6/7m. 

I think also that the offer came late in the transfer window which McInnes felt left us too little time to get in a replacement for McKenna.

I could be wrong with some of these details , but hopefully you clear your head to focus on our current problems.

28 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Although, I agree with @Dons_1988 that we shouldn't be accepting the first offer, I'm also slightly concerned that we miss the optimal (sorry, I couldn't think of another word)time for selling him for maximum return.

I don't trust Glass and his team to utilise, train and look after him properly. For instance, I thought they should've taken him off earlier than they did against Sevco. He didn't look to be running freely, and he was having a torrid time during the game. He hasn't looked good since he returned from injury at Easter Road.

If we could transfer him for £4 million with add-ons for any future transfer, I think that would be a great piece of business. I know others would disagree with that, but a player is like a share price. There's so much that can suddenly affect positively or negatively the value, that my first instinct is to cash-in when a decent profit is on offer rather than gamble on future gains.

I think the share price analogy is a good one, and it applies just as much to managers as players. It’s why the comparisons to Nathan pattersons fee just aren’t that relevant to Ramsay. 

Ultimately we’re relying on those within the club to know just how good he is really and then develop a strategy as to how we maximise value. We have a USP with Ramsay in that his assists record as an 18 year old is a stand out in the UK and beyond just now, so it may well be that we’re at the peak of his value just now. 

Personally I think he can develop more here but as always you’re gambling on injuries and form.