The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not there yet either. 

Last night we competed very well and it’s not often we control a game against them like that but I still don’t feel we asked them enough questions in the final bit. 

People are more forgiving because it’s them and we didn’t lose but I think if we’d gone on to lose that 1-0 we’d be pretty raging that we didn’t particularly trouble them for all the ball we had. 

I think that's a wee bit harsh.

Jenks hit the post. Hedges had an open goal when he was wiped out. McLennan was a ball hair away from a winner and Jenks probably should have done better with that chance at the end.

Even though we were the better side last night, it really highlighted the faults in the squad. There are enough numbers, just not the right balance. 
Ramsay going off (still a bit to go physically)and have to play all left footed Hayes at right back is no good. Hayes had a decent game overall though.

They go down to 10 and no 2nd striker to put on is a really poor situation to be in. Imagine if Ramirez gets injured!

11 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think that's a wee bit harsh.

Jenks hit the post. Hedges had an open goal when he was wiped out. McLennan was a ball hair away from a winner and Jenks probably should have done better with that chance at the end.

We caused them problems for the first 20 minutes. I was enjoying the joy we got from bates stepping out and fizzing a ball into the feet of Jenks/hedges/Ferguson and a little touch round the corner to open up the space. 

After we went behind I thought we were pretty sparse on ideas other than the mclennan chance. The Jenks one I never thought was that big a chance. 

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We caused them problems for the first 20 minutes. I was enjoying the joy we got from bates stepping out and fizzing a ball into the feet of Jenks/hedges/Ferguson and a little touch round the corner to open up the space. 

After we went behind I thought we were pretty sparse on ideas other than the mclennan chance. The Jenks one I never thought was that big a chance. 

It was right in front of me. Maybe looked a bigger chance live.

Agree with the first part. A lot of the one touch stuff we were trying came off. Maybe a few weeks on the training ground has done them a lot of good.

Still needs to sort us out in the final third. Ramirez is feeding off scraps, Ojo not an attacker and a lack of width/pace there too

This is the main issue. We could really use two more quality forwards and probably a playmaker in midfield. If we want to be a team who dominate the ball, we need attacking players who can make something happen against packed defences.

12 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

This is the main issue. We could really use two more quality forwards and probably a playmaker in midfield. If we want to be a team who dominate the ball, we need attacking players who can make something happen against packed defences.

I'm unconvinced that it's the players that are the main issue with unlocking defences. Obviously better and more creative players would really help but we seem to lack any sort of plan. We don't often have runners from midfield, or concerted pressure and often only one player in or around the box to cross to. Usually look directionless (cavet- only saw highlights of last night and we seem to have got a few shots away- maybe been worked on over the break?). 

I'm unconvinced that it's the players that are the main issue with unlocking defences. Obviously better and more creative players would really help but we seem to lack any sort of plan. We don't often have runners from midfield, or concerted pressure and often only one player in or around the box to cross to. Usually look directionless (cavet- only saw highlights of last night and we seem to have got a few shots away- maybe been worked on over the break?). 

Our main attacking plans seem to be Ramsay swinging in a cross or Hedges cutting in and trying an intricate ball through their back four (which rarely comes off). Agree that we don’t commit enough players forward from midfield.

On the players we have, I just can’t help but feel if we had a Hayes, McGinn and McLean from circa 2017, they would have a field day in this team. McGrath would’ve been perfect for us as an attacking midfielder imo.

I was late into the stadium last night so missed the first ten minutes but the final 20 minutes changed my perception of our performance. I thought both sides were really poor up until we equalised then I felt a tinge of disappointment that we didn't find the winner. I felt Sevco were there for the taking last night.

Jonny Hayes did very well after filling in for the substituted Ramsey. I thought Ramsey looked a bit lost last night and his running, certainly in the second half when I could see him better from my Section Y viewpoint, seemed inhibited. Perhaps a touch of cramp.

We switched off for their goal. I thought Joe Lewis should have cleaned out Hagi. He needs to be braver there, I felt that last night and it was confirmed to me when I viewed one particular angle of it on Sportscene.

Ojo was awful. He doesn't offer anything useful going forward.

Bates is turning into a great acquisition and he's helping McCrorie improve in that central defence position too.

Ferguson was ice cool with the penalty despite the movement before he kicked it. It's a pity he wasn't old enough in 1996 when Uri Geller moved the ball at Wembley.

All in all, I'll take the point and hopefully the lads will take some confidence from it and kick on.

And a word on Connor McLennan. I didn't think he was going to do much when he was preparing to come on but he did offer us something different which we were missing in an attacking sense for much of the game.

Someone needs to show the stadium announcer what Dylan McGeouch and Connor McLennan looks like so he doesn't get confused again.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Last night showed exactly where the squad needs strengthened and fans must be concerned that so far we've failed to address it. Forget McGrath. Last night would have been the perfect opportunity to get a 2nd striker on but instead we were left with McLennan. The most infuriating player i've seen in a long time. Hedges all left foot and not suited to playing centrally as he tried to do at points last night. If we can get in a player like a Christie type and a proper 2nd striker we could have a good 2nd half of the season. If we don't? It'll be the same old. Plenty of the ball and a brain fart when we get to within 25 yards of the goal. That needs addressed and quickly. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I nearly switched off, glad I stuck with it, thought we were a bit rocky for 10/15 minutes after conceding - hardly surprising, instead of being 1 up v 10 men we were 1 down v 11, which would knock anybody off their way of going - after that I wasn't too worried about Rangers scoring again, just a bit concerned about how we were going to score one.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Our main attacking plans seem to be Ramsay swinging in a cross or Hedges cutting in and trying an intricate ball through their back four (which rarely comes off). Agree that we don’t commit enough players forward from midfield.

On the players we have, I just can’t help but feel if we had a Hayes, McGinn and McLean from circa 2017, they would have a field day in this team. McGrath would’ve been perfect for us as an attacking midfielder imo.

Wouldn't have survived the pressure of playing for us, imvho

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sllepnig

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I nearly switched off, glad I stuck with it, thought we were a bit rocky for 10/15 minutes after conceding - hardly surprising, instead of being 1 up v 10 men we were 1 down v 11, which would knock anybody off their way of going - after that I wasn't too worried about Rangers scoring again, just a bit concerned about how we were going to score one.

I was always wary of Rangers on the counter attack tbh. May be why I enjoyed the game so much.

28 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I was always wary of Rangers on the counter attack tbh. May be why I enjoyed the game so much.

I usually am, too (or watching anyone against us on the counter attack, tbh), but last night I only got worried a couple of times.

4 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Last night would have been the perfect opportunity to get a 2nd striker on but instead we were left with McLennan. The most infuriating player i've seen in a long time. 

I agree in general about Mclennan, but in fairness I thought he did well last night. I don't understand why we didn't go for Tony Watt? He would have been a cheap back up option and has been on form. I know in theory we could do better and hope we do.

Edited by Don exotic
Typo

1 hour ago, Don exotic said:

I agree in general about Mclennan, but in fairness I thought he did well last night. I don't understand why we didn't go for Tony Watt? He would have been a cheap back up option and has been on form. I know in theory we could do better and hope we do.

At one point he tried to do a couple of stepovers and the ball then hit his foot and he lost possession. If he would cut that shite out he could be a decent player but he insists on doing it and it never works.

I would hope we could attract better than Watt but in fairness he is the league's top scorer so maybe we shouldn't be turning our noses up at it? Too late now obviously. Really hope we have a couple of gems lined up but listening to Glass post match last night it didn't sound promising. He's gone from "we'll come out the window stronger" to "we'll try". What's gone on? Has Davie boys warchest had it's padlock changed?