The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

52 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

Sorry to be the harbinger of doom... AGAIN!  But we are the very definition of mid-table mediocrity, absolute fvkking fodder.

We've spent a fortune and have literally fvk-all to show for it. 😪 

There is not a single team in the league that we can have any confidence of beating.

How the hell, we're getting so little from this squad I do not know.

Yours, it's nae eese ava!

aDONis

I know why.

We have a clueless & out of his depth manager. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's a long time since I've disliked an Aberdeen player as much as I dislike Gallagher. 

It seems that in every single game he's played this season he's had some kind of brain fart which has led to us conceding and then losing the game. 

Despite what I posted earlier, I'd quite happily see him booted in January. 

Plenty for Glass to sort out in the coming months. A lack of leadership without Scott Brown being one, a lack of sharpness in midfield another. 

He's also going to have to try and find a way to fit Calvin Ramsey into the side without us losing every single time. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's a long time since I've disliked an Aberdeen player as much as I dislike Gallagher. 

It seems that in every single game he's played this season he's had some kind of brain fart which has led to us conceding and then losing the game. 

Despite what I posted earlier, I'd quite happily see him booted in January. 

Plenty for Glass to sort out in the coming months. A lack of leadership without Scott Brown being one, a lack of sharpness in midfield another. 

He's also going to have to try and find a way to fit Calvin Ramsey into the side without us losing every single time. 

I think these two points are linked.

Gallagher looked fine first half, and the only real defensive problem was Emmanuel-Thomas switching off a couple of times and giving Hibs easy overloads in the wide areas.

Second half enter Ramsay - and suddenly the right-side of our defence has two players that had not featured since Hibs at home in mid October.  Naive management possibly?

After five minutes or so of the second half, Gallagher became extremely shaky - possibly as a consequence of tiring, but also noticeably poor chemistry with Ramsay, who obviously is going to advance more than Ojo ever would in that position.

Still - ultimately we only gave up a couple of decent chances all game, and it was the (on paper tasty looking) four-pronged forward line that yet again failed to show up in an away game.  Very similar to Tannadice and Perth.

From feeling there was a chance we could kick-on and threaten a challenge for 3rd - I have now resigned myself to the fact that this team will continue to produce the sort of listless garbage they did last night fairly regularly - possibly peppered in amongst some relatively decent performances in other matches.

Edited by tarapoa

Guest Bob Mahelp

I suppose to be fair, we weren't utterly pish last night. Just... like so many times this season...completely flaccid up front and therefore vulnerable to conceding the one time in the 90 minutes that we switch off. 

Glass made a mistake in swapping Jet for Ramsey at ht. The switch gave Hibs impetus for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half, and they managed to capitalise by taking the one chance that they for in that period. 

Unless Jet was injured there was no need to make the switch. We were the best team 1st half and Jet, while not being as incisive as we'd like, held the ball up well and gave us a chance to push Hibs back. 

Ramsey coming on weakened the midfield and let them get on top. 

Glass has to take some responsibility for the loss I'm afraid. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

If we can maintain mediocrity it will be better than i was expecting a couple of months ago. 

All the competition for europe is capable of going on a shitey run.  Just depends how long and how shitey. 

Same here.

All in all it's probably been a more interesting season to date than we would have had under McInnes

I suppose to be fair, we weren't utterly pish last night. Just... like so many times this season...completely flaccid up front and therefore vulnerable to conceding the one time in the 90 minutes that we switch off. 
Glass made a mistake in swapping Jet for Ramsey at ht. The switch gave Hibs impetus for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half, and they managed to capitalise by taking the one chance that they for in that period. 
Unless Jet was injured there was no need to make the switch. We were the best team 1st half and Jet, while not being as incisive as we'd like, held the ball up well and gave us a chance to push Hibs back. 
I think the flaccid up front thing that you and a few other posters have mentioned has really been a recurring issue for a few seasons now. Cosgrove masked it very much by scoring so regularly but when he wasn't on form, we really struggled to do anything and when he left last season, we were left with not only the dearth of creativity (outside Hedges) that has been a factor for a while now, we also lost that pretty decent source of goals.

It saw off McInnes who couldn't solve it and if it goes into next season, it will likely see off Glass too. Outside Hedges, we've never replaced McGinn and Hayes in their prime. We had the Ryan Christie loan stop gap and Hedges has ultimately done well for us but outside flashes from Watkins and Wright, there's been nothing.

Ramirez is a poacher and that's it. Watkins blows hot and cold, pretty injury prone also. JET just isn't up to it. So for me we are looking for replacements for Hedges and JET in the next 2 windows, which is a huge ask of any manager, let alone a relative rookie.

Gallagher isn't very good playing in a back 4, so I worry about his future with us.

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Glass has to accept some blame, you’re correct. I felt JET had to go off, he’s far too pedestrian. He put Ojo into midfield though which was a mistake. He’s only effective out wide as he’s forced to run. In field, he’s just another player who slows the game down and coasts in a deep ish  position. (See McGeouch, brown, Ferguson, Campbell).

He had to put someone in ‘the hole’ as the link player. Without that, there’s far too much emphasis on Hedges and Watkins to make it all happen, and they aren’t cutting it at the moment.

Even then, we could and probably should have easily drawn the game at least. Hibs weren’t up to much and that just makes it more frustrating.

We are only 4 points behind 4th (European Football). I'd happily take 4th right now and depending on the type of window we have it could be achievable. Its actually amazing that we can still finish in the top 4 considering how bad results have been this season.

Certainly some work is needed on the current squad. As well as lacking options up top, we are severely lacking decent options from the bench.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

45 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

A bit disappointed that Tony Watt is off to United. Could’ve been a decent signing for us.

He's done well with Motherwell but besides them he hasn't done anything of much note. It's a good signing for Dundee Utd.

It would have been a lazy signing for us imo.

We should/could do better and with all the recent changes made to our recruitment team one would hope we'll see a better return from our new recruits going forward.

21 hours ago, big al said:

Glass has to accept some blame, you’re correct. I felt JET had to go off, he’s far too pedestrian. He put Ojo into midfield though which was a mistake. He’s only effective out wide as he’s forced to run. In field, he’s just another player who slows the game down and coasts in a deep ish  position. (See McGeouch, brown, Ferguson, Campbell).

He had to put someone in ‘the hole’ as the link player. Without that, there’s far too much emphasis on Hedges and Watkins to make it all happen, and they aren’t cutting it at the moment.

Even then, we could and probably should have easily drawn the game at least. Hibs weren’t up to much and that just makes it more frustrating.

I felt that Ojo was pretty anonymous after half time in the midfield, and Ramsay took 10/15 minutes to find his feet. In that time there were a few f*ck-ups between Gallagher and Ramsay which gave Hibs the confidence to turn the game round from the first half showing, and resulted in their goal. After that we were fairly comfortable again without really threatening and Hibs didn’t need to score again.

16 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Merry Christmas to all fellow Dons fans, and in fact everyone on P&B. 🎅🎅🎅

Steady on, loon.

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Merry Christmas to all Dandies. 

f**k the rest of them 😀

That's the spirit!