The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp

Both Tynecastle and Easter Road should be basic templates for any new stadium that we eventually build 35 years after I die. 

Around 18K capacity, close to the pitch, steep sided (although maybe not quite as much as Tynecastle), enclosed, atmospheric. 

90 minutes spent at that B&Q hellhole at Perth last Saturday in the rain was utterly soul destroying. 

Both Tynecastle and Easter Road should be basic templates for any new stadium that we eventually build 35 years after I die. 
Around 18K capacity, close to the pitch, steep sided (although maybe not quite as much as Tynecastle), enclosed, atmospheric. 
90 minutes spent at that B&Q hellhole at Perth last Saturday in the rain was utterly soul destroying. 

Not to mention being located within their city and not out near a ring road.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I don’t recognise these things about Easter Road. The stands aren’t close to the pitch and there are pretty sizeable gaps between the stands.

Edited by Kyle Reese

Guest Bob Mahelp
14 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

I don’t recognise these things about Easter Road. The stands aren’t close to the pitch and there are pretty sizeable gaps between the stands.

True about the gaps, but allow me a bit of poetic licence here. Easter Road is a fantastic viewing ground....probably the best in the country....and it's preferable to Tynecastle because of seat spacing and the fact that it's not a death trap when Aberdeen score. 

Tynecastle has a better atmosphere though. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

True about the gaps, but allow me a bit of poetic licence here. Easter Road is a fantastic viewing ground....probably the best in the country....and it's preferable to Tynecastle because of seat spacing and the fact that it's not a death trap when Aberdeen score. 

Tynecastle has a better atmosphere though. 

No accounting for taste, I suppose, so fair enough. 🤨

6 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

It was always going to be less than we have at Pittodrie.

Who will be calling for expansion? Fans of other teams it seems. We were 2nd in every competition in 16-17. That's about as much as you could realistically expect for a non-OF team. From what I can see online our average attendance was around 15k. The following season it stayed around the same level. 

We're going to have to be fucking brilliant to consistently sell out a 16,000 capacity stadium.

Maybe fans of other clubs, particularly some from Perth, could start crowdfunding for a second tier.

8 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Can someone remind me why we can't build a smaller 16k/17k stadium at the current site where Pittodrie sits?

Knock down the main stand first, we lose most of our corporate income while we rebuild it. Knock down the RDS first, we lose the other part of our corporate income. Knock down the south first. We lose pretty much half the capacity of the stadium, with nowhere to house away fans.

Thats without taking in money for the sale of the Pittodrie land. 

10 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Knock down the main stand first, we lose most of our corporate income while we rebuild it. Knock down the RDS first, we lose the other part of our corporate income. Knock down the south first. We lose pretty much half the capacity of the stadium, with nowhere to house away fans.

Thats without taking in money for the sale of the Pittodrie land. 

How much do you think the sale of Pittodrie will cover the flattening, preparation and construction of the new stadium at the proposed beach site? Between 25% to 30% if they get a move on.

With the UK and Scottish Governments both canning the development of new oilfields then one would imagine that land value is only going depreciate in Aberdeen going forward.

Then if we're building at the beach whilst playing at Pittodrie for say two years then we're basically covering the costs of two sites for that period time, plus the flattening of two sites and any infrastructure that needs to be put in place to get the proposed beach site ready for building on.

I genuinely think the proposed beach site is pie in the sky stuff. I'm pretty certain that we will not be moving into a stadium at the beach for season 2025/26 and nor will it happen anytime in the next decade.

They might return to the Westhill site but that would sound the death knell for the club.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

12 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Can someone remind me why we can't build a smaller 16k/17k stadium at the current site where Pittodrie sits?

Another issue is older stadiums get various allowances from Uefa to play European games, for example distance from side the pitch to the stands. I think if you upgrade your stadium it is then classed as a new stadium. Meaning we would no longer have these allowances.

Edited by Dandiest Don