The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Longstaff was a strange loan signing in the first place. We already have a few players in place that do the same (better) job as he does. 

He hasn't impressed in the slightest any time I've seen him, tbh.

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Longstaff was a strange loan signing in the first place. We already have a few players in place that do the same (better) job as he does. 

I'm almost certain he was taken in to replace Ferguson and then a move for him fell through.

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/huddersfield-town-move-for-aberdeens-lewis-ferguson-collapsed-during-transfer-window/

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Its a similar situation we had with the CH Wood that we took on loan from Middlesboro (I think).

Some of these managers assume that "anyone can get a game" in Scotland because we dont pay the same money as they do.

They dont understand that having a shit ton of Sky money thrown at the game doesnt necessarily mean your youth players are better than what we already have.............and in some cases are simply not good enough.

Its good that Glass made those comments, imo.

However annoyed the world's richest club may be, Matty Longstaff will soon have a simple choice to make - Carlisle United or Hartlepool United?  (and even that is more generous than the Blyth Spartans performances he's given in a red shirt to date).

Guest Bob Mahelp

I watched the St Mirren game again last night. 

Lot's of really positive points in there. Ramirez was terrific....I get the impression that some of our fans are underrating him, but his movement was excellent, and it's no coincidence that opposition managers are starting to point out how good a player he is at leading the line. 

Watkins also. Like a young(er) Niall McGinn, but with an extra yard of pace. Ferguson was also very influential, especially second half. 

Hedges wasn't as good as I'd initially thought. He dropped in and out of the game, and much of what he tried didn't come off. 

The big plus for me was the influence of Jenks, who came on after 60 minutes and turned what was starting to be a tricky game into a comfortable victory. It's great to see that there's a player in there, and if he keeps that form up it'll make a huge difference to us. 

Jet was his usual enigmatic self. Sometimes in terrific in holding the ball up and laying it off, other times very poor in losing the ball in midfield then not working to get it back. He was a passenger for the 15 minutes he was on in the second half, and credit to Glass for recognising that and hooking him for Jenks. 

In retrospect, I was a bit hard on the defence on Saturday night. St Mirren were very good at pressing high for the first hour of the game, and many of the (half) chances that they created actually came from our midfield...Jet especially....losing possession and allowing them space and time to put the defence under pressure. 

That's been a bit of a recurring theme this season, and we've lost many daft goals because of it. I'm sure Glass is aware and will be looking at how to solve this. 

In defence, the continuining improvement of Bates gives joy to my old heart, and McCrorie had another quietly effective game. Ojo is probably the most improved player in the squad over the last 12 months, and it's great to see his obvious commitment to the team. 

Given that we're still playing with a makeshift defence full of midfielders, they're holding up pretty well. 

We had a good week a month ago, then it fell apart. To bring us to the 'next level' (TM), we need to get results on Saturday, then at Easter Road, and then at home to Dundee. 

Consistency, that's what we want. In every 5 game period, make sure that we're taking at least 10 points. Then we'll be there or there abouts. 

I honestly don't think we have seen enough of Longstaff to really know how good or bad he actually is. It is a bit baffling how it has turned out given that he has Premier League experience under his belt and we apparently beat competition from Championship clubs to get him to come here. You would think there must be a reason that he is so far down the pecking order, though - can't say there hasn't been opportunities for him to play centrally when McGeouch, Campbell and Ojo have all been used there, however sparingly in the latter two cases, in recent matches. 

Longstaff has some technical ability and can be a tidy player but he wants a fucking age on the ball which he needs to learn quickly he ain’t getting that in this league. 

Aside from that he doesn’t seem particularly creative, doesn’t have a great deal of energy or running and doesn’t appear to offer anything defensively. 

Apart from that, good signing. 

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Another two goals from set pieces last week.

Can't believe we didn't sack Allan Russell to shake things up.

Just think how many we'd have scored on Saturday if Jim Duffy had been on the sidelines.

An enjoyable week, nothing more, although that’s a fair achievement considering how cold/snowy and rainy the 2 games have been. 
Realistically Livi and the Maureen’s are just cannon fodder though, out of form bottom 6 teams up at Pittodrie.
Need a few more results this month before getting too excited.

Moving Ojo out to the right, where he has to work harder instead of coasting as a holding midfielder has been a smart move. His displays should mean we never have to see Gurr again. 
Need this run to continue. 

6 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I honestly don't think we have seen enough of Longstaff to really know how good or bad he actually is. It is a bit baffling how it has turned out given that he has Premier League experience under his belt and we apparently beat competition from Championship clubs to get him to come here. You would think there must be a reason that he is so far down the pecking order, though - can't say there hasn't been opportunities for him to play centrally when McGeouch, Campbell and Ojo have all been used there, however sparingly in the latter two cases, in recent matches. 

Of course Longstaff hasn’t played enough to be written off. Seems most of the new signings have been written off at some point, then a half decent game and they are ok again. 
Young players need games to find their way and how they are going to influence games, for most that takes time unless you are Calvin Ramsay.

19 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I was delighted when we signed him on loan, remembering his performance against Manchester United. He has been an utter disaster. He has offered absolutely nothing to the team, and his most telling contribution was losing the ball to cost us at least a point against Dundee United.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I was delighted when we signed him on loan, remembering his performance against Manchester United. He has been an utter disaster. He has offered absolutely nothing to the team, and his most telling contribution was losing the ball to cost us at least a point against Dundee United.

Can only think that he was signed because they thought Ferguson was off in August?  We have a plethora of central midfielders even allowing for Ferguson to leave and Longstaff not to have been brought in.

On 26/11/2021 at 12:24, The_Kincardine said:

I think 'Lovejoy' is a P&Bism.  I'm sure I read a definition (probably on the COVID thread) but it had nothing to do with Ian McShane.

Is it not a Simpsons reference for a handwringing, knicker wetting, pinko liberal?

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Is it not a Simpsons reference for a handwringing, knicker wetting, pinko liberal?

It's more the nature of gossipy, judgmental, morally righteous and outraged wife of Reverend Lovejoy than anything particularly pinko or liberal.

Edited by Rodhull

5 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

It's more the nature of gossipy, judgmental, morally righteous and outraged wife of Reverend Lovejoy than anything particularly pinko or liberal.

I may not have been entirely serious with the last bit...