The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Did I say that? Tarapoa was intimating that a team finishing high in the league would benefit from the best chance of qualifying for a European group stage, but I was simply pointing out that it is likely to be the Scottish Cup winners, whoever that may be.

I think it's inevitable that we'll get drawn a tricky away match tonight so all the vultures can gather in anticipation of a negative result. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

McLean seems to be one of these players that people within the football industry rate higher than the fans. It seems to have happened at Norwich, too. The last manager played him virtually every minute of every game and got criticised for it. 

It was only really at the end of his time here that he really got appreciation for how good he was (although it was a dead rubber for Celtic, he was absolutely imperious in that 1-0 win at Parkhead, which was his last match for us). Saying that, he did start his time here quite slowly and also had a tendency to start individual seasons a bit indifferently too, which maybe explains why he wasn't always a favourite. 

Not necessarily.  I was always a fan and so were most of the guys I go to the game with.  He could be in and out of form for longish spells it's true, but even when off the boil we felt he at least justified selection.  And he also had extended spells where he was arguably the best non-Celtic player in the SPL.

22 hours ago, tarapoa said:

These are the matches ahead of Sevco's visit for the last game of the calendar year.

If we do net get a double-figure points haul from this, then a relegation fight could well await.

image.png.859d8b1d0fdb99a78393967faaec36ca.png

Pretty obvious but a big month ahead for our manager, lets hope the injuries continue to clear up and we manage to start getting results to get us more nearer European positions. 

Edited by betting competition

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

McLean seems to be one of these players that people within the football industry rate higher than the fans. It seems to have happened at Norwich, too. The last manager played him virtually every minute of every game and got criticised for it. 

It was only really at the end of his time here that he really got appreciation for how good he was (although it was a dead rubber for Celtic, he was absolutely imperious in that 1-0 win at Parkhead, which was his last match for us). Saying that, he did start his time here quite slowly and also had a tendency to start individual seasons a bit indifferently too, which maybe explains why he wasn't always a favourite. 

McLean, after he signed for Norwich, was the player we thought we had signed barring the short time he linked up with Goodwillie. 

McLean did us a solid and never signed for Them on a free unlike some

32 minutes ago, scoobles said:

McLean, after he signed for Norwich, was the player we thought we had signed barring the short time he linked up with Goodwillie. 

McLean did us a solid and never signed for Them on a free unlike some

In my opinion, Kenny McLean was a great player for us and showed is class in that final six months he was on loan to us having already signed for Norwich City. Others may have 'protected' themselves and packed the tools away but he seemed to raise his game.

He was a Jonny Hayes forward pass from being the potential goalscoring matchwinner in the 2017 Scottish Cup Final. Alas, Hayes passed it over behind him and we lost out.

He did reasonably well in Europe too against decent teams scoring away to Rijeka and home and away against Kairat.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Did I say that? Tarapoa was intimating that a team finishing high in the league would benefit from the best chance of qualifying for a European group stage, but I was simply pointing out that it is likely to be the Scottish Cup winners, whoever that may be.

You are correct - I am just conditioned into assuming one of the ugly sisters will win that (even though one of them never has).

If someone else does that, then fair enough - alas given we have only reached one final in 20 years it’s unlikely to be us……….

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

You are correct - I am just conditioned into assuming one of the ugly sisters will win that (even though one of them never has).

If someone else does that, then fair enough - alas given we have only reached one final in 20 years it’s unlikely to be us……….

...law of averages.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Edinburgh City at home. 

While with this Aberdeen side you can obviously take nothing for granted, Willie did us a favour tonight and we've got the chance to get a foothold on a cup run with this tie. 

Just try not to let them score.

57 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

My childhood hero Willie Miller coming to Aberdeen's rescue once again. Surely even Glass can get the team past a League 2 team at Pittodrie.....

... especially one with a defence like City's!

We'll get stuffed but I'll enjoy my day out. I've not been to Pittodrie since my student days in the early 90s.

19 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not having that. Maddison, whilst didn’t have the impact his ability would suggest, was an absolute joy to watch. A level of player were unlikely to see at the club again. 

A bit hard to have much impact when you're marked by several players and sent 8ft in the air every time you touch the ball!

Guest Bob Mahelp
11 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

My childhood hero Willie Miller coming to Aberdeen's rescue once again. Surely even Glass can get the team past a League 2 team at Pittodrie.....

A better Dons side than this couldn't get past Stenhousemuir a few years ago. Brrrr. 

Were they League 2 then ? Maybe they were League 1. Not sure....

6 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

I noticed that there are soon to be a number of players out of contract over in the MLS.

How many Gurr type jobbers will we bring in? 

Ramirez has been a decent signing.

However we need to move on from the Atlanta Utd reserve team.

I'm quite excited and hopeful Mowbray can source some gems.

8 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

A better Dons side than this couldn't get past Stenhousemuir a few years ago. Brrrr. 

Were they League 2 then ? Maybe they were League 1. Not sure....

Presume you're talking about the relatively recent tie, where we drew 1-1 at home and then won 4-1 at Ochilview?  (and not that day in 1995?!)

I believe they were League One then............and the last ten minutes following their equaliser at Pittodrie were seriously squeaky.

We should take more hope from the fact we have absolutely hammered Dumbarton 1-0 three times in the past decade in this tournament.

I was looking on the club website and as far as I can see, PPV for the game tonight isn’t being advertised anywhere. There’s no info on how to purchase it at all. Surely on the day of the game they should be making it obvious how to do this.

I know I can go on the PPV site directly to buy it but not everyone would be aware of this. The site should really be more accommodating for mugs like me who are willing to pay £14 to watch what will no doubt be a turgid display.