The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Amidst this mountain of negativity going around at the moment, can I put in a word for Joe Lewis. He was getting a fair bit of stick, justifiably for the most part, from a good portion of our support prior to his being left out for two games. Since he’s come back into the team he’s barely put a foot wrong, and was undeniably our man of the match yesterday. It says a lot for his mental strength to have been able to come back like this.

13 hours ago, BrendanGalloway said:

Probably the biggest disappointment in recent memory if not ever? I too thought he would be a bit of a stand out...

Longstaff or JET? 

Off the top of my head Bryson that guy Greg something-(did well at Dundee and Kilmarnock, bench warmer at Rangers? My memory appears to be failing) were much bigger disappointments

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Longstaff or JET? 

Off the top of my head Bryson that guy Greg something-(did well at Dundee and Kilmarnock, bench warmer at Rangers? My memory appears to be failing) were much bigger disappointments

James Maddison, which, Sevco goal aside, all I remember about him was an unwillingness to pass... although, to be fair, a last minute winner against Sevco probably puts his head above the biggest disappointments waterline, no matter how pish the goalkeeping was on that particular occasion.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

All this talk of potential relegation dogfights is one thing.

Even if that is avoided, what will REALLY grate is watching a true yo-yo club like Hearts, Hibs or United getting the automatic European group stage fitba that we really are surely due a shot of after eight seasons of just falling short. 

It was just a bit too predictable that this season would turn out like this - but let's see how they get on in December.

10 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

James Maddison, which, Sevco goal aside, all I remember about him was an unwillingness to pass... although, to be fair, a last minute winner against Sevco probably puts his head above the biggest disappointments waterline, no matter how pish the goalkeeping was on that particular occasion.

Not having that. Maddison, whilst didn’t have the impact his ability would suggest, was an absolute joy to watch. A level of player were unlikely to see at the club again. 

Let’s get this straight, a 19 year-old loan signing who’d mostly played English League 1 before joining was the most disappointing signing of recent times because he only scored a last minute winner against Rangers?

27 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Even if that is avoided, what will REALLY grate is watching a true yo-yo club like Hearts, Hibs or United getting the automatic European group stage fitba that we really are surely due a shot of after eight seasons of just falling short. 

It was just a bit too predictable that this season would turn out like this - but let's see how they get on in December.

Yes but as Hibs and Hearts fans have pointed out it's hard to complain about injustice when what happened to us is the result of a deliberate act of self-harm.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Bit harsh he was hot and cold performances but he does give us credit from making him getting used to the physical side of the game. Best performance was Killie away which he managed to nut-meg 3 players in a row. 

It was interesting when Shinnie/McInnes/Docherty was asked at a fans meeting who was the most talented player in Aberdeen they didn't mention Maddison or Christie but all 3 said Kenny McLean

Edited by betting competition

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

That’s an absolutely wild shout. Maddison, while he struggled with the physical side of the Scottish game at times and could maybe drift in and out, was comfortably the most technically gifted player we had under McInnes. 

2 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Bit harsh he was hot and cold performances but he does give us credit from making him getting used to the physical side of the game. Best performance was Killie away which he managed to nut-meg 3 players in a row. 

It was interesting when Shinnie/McInnes/Docherty was asked at a fans meeting who was the most talented player in Aberdeen they didn't mention Maddison or Christie but all 3 said Kenny McLean

McLean seems to be one of these players that people within the football industry rate higher than the fans. It seems to have happened at Norwich, too. The last manager played him virtually every minute of every game and got criticised for it. 

It was only really at the end of his time here that he really got appreciation for how good he was (although it was a dead rubber for Celtic, he was absolutely imperious in that 1-0 win at Parkhead, which was his last match for us). Saying that, he did start his time here quite slowly and also had a tendency to start individual seasons a bit indifferently too, which maybe explains why he wasn't always a favourite. 

9 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Possibly more to do with the fact Maddison was a bit of a c**t and not that popular in the dressing room. 

2 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Let’s get this straight, a 19 year-old loan signing who’d mostly played English League 1 before joining was the most disappointing signing of recent times because he only scored a last minute winner against Rangers?

Rangers?? And you didn't get that "straight" at all, I don't think you read or didn't want to read my message properly

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not having that. Maddison, whilst didn’t have the impact his ability would suggest, was an absolute joy to watch. A level of player were unlikely to see at the club again. 

Who McInnes ludicrously played on the wing at times.

19 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

That’s an absolutely wild shout. Maddison, while he struggled with the physical side of the Scottish game at times and could maybe drift in and out, was comfortably the most technically gifted player we had under McInnes. 

It's not wild at all, if it wasn't for the goal against Sevco, I wouldn't remember is spell at Aberdeen at all...

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

an absolute joy to watch.

At Aberdeen? When? He must be the modern day Zoltan Varga.

I don't remember many saying he was a "joy to watch" at the time. Greedy, mincing about with gloves is what I remember...and the goal against Sevco which the keeper should've saved

14 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I don't remember many saying he was a "joy to watch" at the time. Greedy, mincing about with gloves is what I remember...and the goal against Sevco which the keeper should've saved

ok. 

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Well yeah, but if it’s similar qualification rules as this/last season, it’ll be the team that win the Scottish Cup that have the best chance of getting group stages, and the league position will count for nothing there.

16 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Bloody hell.

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Well yeah, but if it’s similar qualification rules as this/last season, it’ll be the team that win the Scottish Cup that have the best chance of getting group stages, and the league position will count for nothing there.

Fancy us for the Cup then Joe?

3 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Fancy us for the Cup then Joe?

Did I say that? Tarapoa was intimating that a team finishing high in the league would benefit from the best chance of qualifying for a European group stage, but I was simply pointing out that it is likely to be the Scottish Cup winners, whoever that may be.