The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That has been the case just about every week though. 

I agree that it has been too common. We have seen in isolation, like the second half against Hearts, that we can turn that control into chances and goals. It does need to happen on a more consistent basis, though. Certainly not blind to the deficiencies, but also think there are mitigating factors at the moment and that we aren't a million miles away.

4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I agree that it has been too common. We have seen in isolation, like the second half against Hearts, that we can turn that control into chances and goals. It does need to happen on a more consistent basis, though. Certainly not blind to the deficiencies, but also think there are mitigating factors at the moment and that we aren't a million miles away.

But see for me, compared to last season we are better between the boxes, undoubtedly. 

But the defensive third is undoubtedly worse and the final third we appear to just want to get the ball wide and get crosses in. That is exactly what the tactic was under Derek. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

But see for me, compared to last season we are better between the boxes, undoubtedly. 

But the defensive third is undoubtedly worse and the final third we appear to just want to get the ball wide and get crosses in. That is exactly what the tactic was under Derek. 

Defensively we are worse, no doubt. But, at the same time, our best centre-back is long-term injured and the most natural replacement is also injured just as he looked like he might be about to hit some form. When you are ending a game with Brown and Campbell as your centre-back pairing and both your first choice full-backs also injured, I think you have to apply a bit of context. Again, not saying there aren't fair criticisms to be made, but that there are mitigating factors (and have been for a fair bit of the season so far).

I agree with you about the reliance on crosses, although it makes a bit more sense with a number 9 like Ramirez on the pitch. But, yeah, would like a bit more guile and variety there with the likes of Hedges and Watkins in the team now.

16 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Defensively we are worse, no doubt. But, at the same time, our best centre-back is long-term injured and the most natural replacement is also injured just as he looked like he might be about to hit some form. When you are ending a game with Brown and Campbell as your centre-back pairing and both your first choice full-backs also injured, I think you have to apply a bit of context. Again, not saying there aren't fair criticisms to be made, but that there are mitigating factors (and have been for a fair bit of the season so far).

I agree with you about the reliance on crosses, although it makes a bit more sense with a number 9 like Ramirez on the pitch. But, yeah, would like a bit more guile and variety there with the likes of Hedges and Watkins in the team now.

It’s all very well saying the injury list is huge, but they are all almost exclusively defensive players.

At the same time, the defence has still been not too bad.

It’s in attack that the real problem lies. All the attackers are fit. For all the injuries the team has, there were still players like McGinn, Jet and Samuels on the bench as unused subs.

The amount of really good chances created is far too low, and yet again no goals scored. Apart from Jenks chance, didn’t really look like scoring. 
Can’t use injuries for an excuse for this, none of those players create apart from Ramsay.

On the attacking side, we get the ball forward with some decent passing at times and then dick about, delaying a ball into the box which i feel gives the opposition time to set themselves. Any advantage from a quick ball that might catch the defence off guard is gone. V frustrating.

9 hours ago, Highloon said:

On the attacking side, we get the ball forward with some decent passing at times and then dick about, delaying a ball into the box which i feel gives the opposition time to set themselves. Any advantage from a quick ball that might catch the defence off guard is gone. V frustrating.

This - decent play to a point, but the final ball is far too often just a hit and hope into an area, than something that looks like there's an element of thought and precision.

Watkins and Hedges were both very disappointing - I had visions beforehand of those two being fully up to speed and being the difference between the sides yesterday. Ultimately United were very limited in an attacking sense against our makeshift defence, but of course we still had to contrive to let them have the three points (and to be far they are well-organised).

Likewise, my rethink on maybe there is something in this regime after all due to the three decent performances in late October is rapidly dwindling again - and despite the understandable reasons this time (McInnes was also sent off at Tannadice when Madden was ref in 2016), it really isn't the best look for Glass to be receiving red cards every three or four matches.

This - decent play to a point, but the final ball is far too often just a hit and hope into an area, than something that looks like there's an element of thought and precision.
Watkins and Hedges were both very disappointing - I had visions beforehand of those two being fully up to speed and being the difference between the sides yesterday. Ultimately United were very limited in an attacking sense against our makeshift defence, but of course we still had to contrive to let them have the three points (and to be far they are well-organised).
Likewise, my rethink on maybe there is something in this regime after all due to the three decent performances in late October is rapidly dwindling again - and despite the understandable reasons this time (McInnes was also sent off at Tannadice when Madden was ref in 2016), it really isn't the best look for Glass to be receiving red cards every three or four matches.

On the last point, that is a fair point and the indiscipline in the dugout must be frustrating for the players. Worth noting that that was the only time McInnes was sent off in his 8 years. Even in spite of the disgraceful display of Nikola Popov in Maribor

17 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:
On 22/11/2021 at 00:11, tarapoa said:

On the last point, that is a fair point and the indiscipline in the dugout must be frustrating for the players. Worth noting that that was the only time McInnes was sent off in his 8 years. Even in spite of the disgraceful display of Nikola Popov in Maribor

Wasn't he also sent off at Hampden?

Guest Bob Mahelp

As hilarious as it was to see Hibs lose again tonight, it once again brings the bottom of the league up a step closer towards us. We're now only 6 points away from Ross County, having played a game more. 

And we go to Parkhead on Sunday. 

Glass earned a bit of breathing space over the space of a week by taking 7 points from Hibs, Hearts and Rangers. Time to get more points on the board though....if any team is not equiped for a relegation fight, it's us. 

My worry is that by this time next season Aberdeen FC could be playing league derby matches against Cove Rangers FC. 

Cove Rangers look like they could be promoted from League One this season, while Aberdeen FC are on relegation form,  so could be relegated from the Scottish Premiership to the Scottish Championship.

I want Aberdeen FC to improve. They need to start winning games against the bottom 6 sides, 

We could have Aberdeen derbies in the the Scottish Championship next season. 

I do not want Aberdeen to be relegated. I want Aberdeen to win games. 

Edited by Thistle Scotland Europe

8 minutes ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

My worry is that by this time next season Aberdeen FC could be playing league derby matches against Cove Rangers FC. 

Cove Rangers look like they could be promoted from League One this season, while Aberdeen FC are on relegation form,  so could be relegated from the Scottish Premiership to the Scottish Championship.

I want Aberdeen FC to improve. They need to start winning games against the bottom 6 sides, 

Why would we want to win games when we could have 65% possession instead? 

4 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

I’m not sure your message is clear, maybe need to state it again?