The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Qarabag have qualified for the knockout stages of the Europa Conference League with two games still to play in the group stage. Ten points from the four games played so far. 

No, that can’t be right. 

im sure there was a mouthy rangers fan that told us they were awful because their revenue figure wasn’t very good. 

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No, that can’t be right. 

im sure there was a mouthy rangers fan that told us they were awful because their revenue figure wasn’t very good. 

You're going to have to be a bit more specific...

Qarabag have easily been the best opponent so far the Dons have faced this season.

Agree - as stated a few times, that pitch over there cramped their style more than ours.

Still, the team were woeful in the Pittodrie leg - Qarabag brutally exposed deficiencies that bottom six SPL sides spent similar doing for the following few weeks.

It is interesting to see their performances in the group.
As was demonstrated when I took the longest away trip in competitive European football ever (at the time), Kairat Almaty away is never easy.

18 minutes ago, big al said:

Well, that’s the good work of the last 3 games undone in 10 minutes of terrible defending, coupled with an inability to score when on top.

With each game like that 1 passing, the likelihood of Europe next season fades a little more.

I think that's a little bit harsh. If we play like we did in the first half most weeks then we'll be right up there.

49 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think that's a little bit harsh. If we play like we did in the first half most weeks then we'll be right up there.

I don't see how failing to score from 18 attempts and conceding 2 from 2 attempts will have us right up there.

If this was a one off, I could see your point, but this sort of result seems to have been a recurring theme this season.

26 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't see how failing to score from 18 attempts and conceding 2 from 2 attempts will have us right up there.

If this was a one off, I could see your point, but this sort of result seems to have been a recurring theme this season.

I think this was a one off. This was the first time I could genuinely say we dominated the ball, created very good chances and lost.

Other games we've had a heap of possession but you struggle to think of a decent save the keepers made etc.

I think this was a one off. This was the first time I could genuinely say we dominated the ball, created very good chances and lost.
Other games we've had a heap of possession but you struggle to think of a decent save the keepers made etc.

I’m struggling to think of a decent save Kelly made today other than pawing away Ferguson’s header at the second attempt. Bates would have missed from a yard out anyway.

We crafted some nice moves and had good variety to our play in the first half but I don’t recall anything that was more than a half chance and relatively routine for Kelly.

The decline in our performance from half time, followed by zero answers to change it up, was concerning.

18 minutes ago, bpdon said:

I’m struggling to think of a decent save Kelly made today other than pawing away Ferguson’s header at the second attempt. Bates would have missed from a yard out anyway.

We crafted some nice moves and had good variety to our play in the first half but I don’t recall anything that was more than a half chance and relatively routine for Kelly.

The decline in our performance from half time, followed by zero answers to change it up, was concerning.

Pretty sure there was at least one cleared off the line with the keeper beaten and another goalbound effort cleared away for a corner too.

Guest Bob Mahelp
48 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The worst centre forward in Scottish football scored twice today, because our central defence fell asleep. He's only scored 4 goals all season, 3 against us. 

What has absolutely killed us this season, above and beyond everything else, is our inability to defend for 90 minutes. 

The first goal was absolutely amateur....a hopeful lob into the box met by a **Motherwell** player that simply couldn't believe his luck that he didn't have a Dons defender within 10 yards of him. 

** Insert Dundee, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Ross County, Celtic, Raith Rovers, etc etc where necessary. 

The second half was very concerning. Went from playing some decent stuff to pissing about playing nothing football at the back and losing two cheap goals in 15 minutes.

Thereafter it was hope Hedges and a past it McGinn could pull us out of a hole.

Woeful stuff, the sort that will cost Glass sooner or later

One of the more frustrating seasons in recent times.

Personally I think we've played well in the majority of games. It's our inability to convert our chances and the moments of sheer defensive madness that has determined our place in the league. With the group of players we have we should be up there fighting for third. However this league is all about being well organized and difficult to beat. Thats why Hearts are currently third.

A couple of wins on the bounce and we can catch those above us fighting for European spots.