The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 hours ago, gudge1903 said:

I think Ramsay would be suited further up the pitch as one on right of the two supporting Ramirez. Benefit from his delivers more and take pressure off the defensive side and using his younger legs for pressing. Hedges/Watkins. Just don't fancy the Gurr shaped issue it could create.

Also thought McKenzie (quarabag after sending off) could be class in one as LCB in a 3. Kind of Tierney style in Clarke's Scotland team. Him and McRorie either side of Gallagher or Brown.

Ramirez.

Watkins/Hedges/Ramsay.  (2 of)

Hayes     Ferguson     McLennan.          

Brown.

McKenzie Gallagher McRorie.

Lewis.

Ojo would be on bench with Bates and it'd be unfortunate for Campbell who has been cracking this last week. There would be a pretty good B team also when all are fit. 

We've a strong squad when everyone is fit. Really strong.  Strong B team too.

I'd like to see us try to get away with 3 of, tbqhwy

So would I, it just might take a bit more luck trying to get capable defenders to play in a middle 2 especially playing Weedgies and if we ever begin to progress in Europe.

I feel with a 3 there's always an opportunity to blood a young CB alongside more experienced pros with less risk.

I'm happy with how we set up now, I'd just like a 3 at the back option for when we're not playing dross like hearts n hibs.

The 2nd half yesterday is exactly what Dave Cormack has been envisaging.

A lot more noise/ support for the team and a team that had a real purpose about it.

Only thing missing from his vision is another few thousand fans. That will be that hardest part.

Team needs to go on a run now as the belief must be there, that would help things immensely.

11 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Ramsey and MacKenzie are both cracking players with loads of potential, but there's no doubt at all that we've been a better team with them having an enforced rest. 

It's worth digging a little deeper what has actually happened in the last three games. Is it partly down to the absence of the young FBs(?), or have other factors had much more of an influence? Such as:

- a complete change of shape at the back to help the CBs, in particular Bates who has struggled. You would hope we would be more solid with a further body and wing backs for large parts of the games.  The young FBs have actually been quite solid defensively this season in the system they have been asked to play (MacKenzie arguably the most consistent).

- Watkins, Hedges and Ramirez now all being available, making a MASSIVE difference to the team. We only scored 1 goal from open play in the 5 straight defeats, Ramirez's goal at Dundee. Pity we havn't seen Ramsey and MacKenzie playing with that front 3 more regularly.

- our midfield, in particular Fergie, finally showing what's expected of them in these last few games. You compare yesterday to some of our previous performances, in particular Dundee. My pet tortoise could have closed down McMullan quicker for Dundee's opener! Delighted to see Dylan back too. The midfield have hopefully now started to click more consistently.

- Scoring an opening goal for the first time since the United game which actually gave us something to hold onto against Hibs.

- Not being severely punished by a few (sometimes minor) individual mistakes by various players, like earlier in the season - our luck had to turn eventually. Small margins etc.

Most pleasing for me was the way Glass had the conviction to return to a back 4 for the second half on Saturday. CBs possibly playing now with more confidence and not making costly mistakes, midfielders clicking and the front 3 maintaining a constant threat up front. Campbell and Ojo also playing their part in their LB/RB roles (and doing well, particularly Campbell). However I'm not convinced their inclusion over Ramsey and MacKenzie in the second half as LB/RB, or as wing backs in the first, is the main reason we're now a 'better team'. The young FBs I expect could have been equally effective in those roles.

I think the other factors mentioned have had much more influence, which has thankfully given us 7 much needed points.

COYR.   

Dearie me weegia - two months away from all the window krap even being an issue and we're getting this - we must have won a couple of games.

Hedges was last quoted as "keeping his options open"..............I think the hit rate of players saying that and then not actually moving on is extremely low, but FFS can they not just let us enjoy getting some players back for a few games before they start all this stuff.

If we get back into contention for the European places, then there is a chance of going directly into the group stages - that is worth about eight times more than some derisory 500k January bid from Blackburn or the likes.

Surely Aberdeen have to stop p***king about with the crowd numbers. We need to act like a big club and let as many in as want to be there and start random vaccine certification checking. It doesn’t seem to have affected crowds at stadiums where they have been doing this for the past 2 weeks, so if we feel the need, contact these clubs and get their feedback on how they complied with the regulations, or not. 

15 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Glassy is a fine manager and a top, top bloke. Some guys on here should apologise for their previous outbursts. 

Still early to judge if Glass is a good manager, I was prepared to give him till December although Dundee result did put massive doubt in my mind. Only taking 12 points in the first 11 games means we are playing catch up for European places but it now looks like the team is settling in now with the massive amount of changes to the squad. We should be finishing 3rd with this squad although would settle for a qualifying for Europe and anything less is a failure.  

26 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Still early to judge if Glass is a good manager, I was prepared to give him till December although Dundee result did put massive doubt in my mind. Only taking 12 points in the first 11 games means we are playing catch up for European places but it now looks like the team is settling in now with the massive amount of changes to the squad. We should be finishing 3rd with this squad although would settle for a qualifying for Europe and anything less is a failure.  

I was thinking about this the other day. Given the start we made, I would take a top 6 finish and the Scottish Cup. Scott Brown is the Scottish Tom Brady after all.

My scepticism about the Cormack "experiment" remains, but I've never doubted that there might be ups as well as downs and I'm going to enjoy the ups as and when they come. 

A really enjoyable afternoon.  Whatever else, the spirit in the team looks excellent and I've always thought that putting well-motivated, confident players on the pitch is the most important of any manager's job.

On 01/11/2021 at 12:15, Redmin said:

I was thinking about this the other day. Given the start we made, I would take a top 6 finish and the Scottish Cup. Scott Brown is the Scottish Tom Brady after all.

So would I, but I don't think we'll win the cup this season.

However, I'm not always right...