The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

We've got to hold and give, but do it at the right time. We can be slow or fast, but we must get to the line. They will hit us and hurt us, defend and attack. There's only one way to beat them, and that's around the back. 

How dare you [emoji1785][emoji2961]

Stephen Glass has to play Dean Campbell at left back to continue the club’s record of playing a player who has come through the youth system in the first eleven of every competitive match since 1949.

Deano in the starting 11, remains to be seen if he’ll be at left back though.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

We've got to hold and give, but do it at the right time. We can be slow or fast, but we must get to the line. They will hit us and hurt us, defend and attack. There's only one way to beat them, and that's around the back. 

First you gotta speed it up, and then you gotta slow it down
'Cause if you believe that our game can hit the top,  you gotta play around
But soon you will find that there comes a time
For penalty rangers

Disappointed to see Watkins starting off on the bench.

I thought Campbell did really well when he came on (after I wrongly slated him) against Hearts early this season. He's barely featured this season so hopefully he prove himself tonight.

Still can't understand why McGeouch has barely featured under both McInnes and now Glass. I've always thought he looked a class act. Another I hope can prove some doubters wrong.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

Guest Bob Mahelp

As much as I've been raging at Glass over the last month, I think it's only fair to come on and commend him and the team on the last 2 games. 

Nothing flashy or showy, but 4 hard fought points against 2 difficult sides, and all that with effectively a whole defence missing. 

Obviously the team have fight and spirit, and that's the first step back. Great stuff, keep it going. 

I'm wondering if losing the young full-backs  has been a blessing in disguise. We've re-jigged the defence and frankly we look all the better for it. We've been very over-reliant on both Ramsey and MacKenzie, and I think we were suffering because of it. 

For the first time this season, we've looked solid(ish). I don't think it's a coincidence. 

A big game now on Saturday. I'd be delighted with we could win a scrappy shitfest 1-0. 

40 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As much as I've been raging at Glass over the last month, I think it's only fair to come on and commend him and the team on the last 2 games. 

Nothing flashy or showy, but 4 hard fought points against 2 difficult sides, and all that with effectively a whole defence missing. 

Obviously the team have fight and spirit, and that's the first step back. Great stuff, keep it going. 

I'm wondering if losing the young full-backs  has been a blessing in disguise. We've re-jigged the defence and frankly we look all the better for it. We've been very over-reliant on both Ramsey and MacKenzie, and I think we were suffering because of it. 

For the first time this season, we've looked solid(ish). I don't think it's a coincidence. 

A big game now on Saturday. I'd be delighted with we could win a scrappy shitfest 1-0. 

I want Glass to succeed.

But I still think he's out of his depth and that 5 losses in a row is more representative of what he'll deliver than beating Hibs and drawing at Ibrox. 

One thing Glass's predecessor did well was recognising when enforced changes improved things and sticking with the winning combo. Like chucking McKenna in the team or going to 3 at the back (while it worked). 

If Glass can adapt and learn he might still turn this round. I don't think he can but i really want to be wrong. 

Glass deserves huge credit for the last couple of results, I think. I didn't see the game tonight, but hopefully another sign after the Hibs win that things are starting to turn a bit. Disappointing not to hold on from 2-0 up, but I had pretty much written this one off beforehand. If we can back it up with a win against Hearts, especially with our injury list the way it is at the moment, then I think he will have changed a few folks' minds, at least for the time being. 

I desperately want him to succeed - he is a really likeable bloke and is clearly working his bollocks off to try and make it work. 

My biggest issue with glass has always been that we were giving ourselves next to no chance of success with the number of chances we conceded in every single game. Even in the early rounds of Europe when things were good we were stupidly open. 

The move to a back 3 has at least made us look difficult to beat and we’ve managed to retain a bit of style about our offensive play too. Not necessarily execution but I was impressed with our bravery on the ball last night to retain possession in difficult areas and try and break the press. Something I’m not sure we’d have seen from a Derek team too often. 

Still a long way from convinced but we’ll done mr glass on taking positive steps. 

There is certainly a balance to be struck between ambition going forward and how open we are at the back. Certainly for DM in the later years of his time at the club that had tipped to the other extreme.

I'm hoping that Glass is beginning to find that balance. It will take time and it's a bit of a learning experience for him, but I think he has the right idea. 

McGeouch and Campbell deserve a lot of praise for last night. The former can look incredibly composed on his day. Would be great if he comes into some form.

As for Campbell, LB or LWB is his new position now. Two very important contributions to us scoring this season from that position. Last night and the cross for Ojo to score against Hearts earlier this season.

Crazy that we nearly came away with a victory with Ojo playing RWB, Campbell playing LWB and Brown playing as a CB.

9 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

McGeouch and Campbell deserve a lot of praise for last night. The former can look incredibly composed on his day. Would be great if he comes into some form.

As for Campbell, LB or LWB is his new position now. Two very important contributions to us scoring this season from that position. Last night and the cross for Ojo to score against Hearts earlier this season.

Crazy that we nearly came away with a victory with Ojo playing RWB, Campbell playing LWB and Brown playing as a CB.

Thought he looked excellent there against Hearts earlier in the season. Certainly softens the blow of seemingly losing Mackenzie for some time.

Certainly look a lot more solid with the 3 at the back. Hopefully get Ramsay back soon as Ojo is never a full back (albeit he strove manfully last night).

13 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

12 hours ago, coprolite said:

I want Glass to succeed.

But I still think he's out of his depth and that 5 losses in a row is more representative of what he'll deliver than beating Hibs and drawing at Ibrox. 

One thing Glass's predecessor did well was recognising when enforced changes improved things and sticking with the winning combo. Like chucking McKenna in the team or going to 3 at the back (while it worked). 

If Glass can adapt and learn he might still turn this round. I don't think he can but i really want to be wrong. 

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

My biggest issue with glass has always been that we were giving ourselves next to no chance of success with the number of chances we conceded in every single game. Even in the early rounds of Europe when things were good we were stupidly open. 

The move to a back 3 has at least made us look difficult to beat and we’ve managed to retain a bit of style about our offensive play too. Not necessarily execution but I was impressed with our bravery on the ball last night to retain possession in difficult areas and try and break the press. Something I’m not sure we’d have seen from a Derek team too often. 

Still a long way from convinced but we’ll done mr glass on taking positive steps. 

That's me, too, fair's fair

13 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Backing Up GIFs | Tenor  McCormack Patience GIFs | Tenor

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Is there something to be said about Brown being back there making the difference and not the formation itself?

He's a natural organiser and something I think we've lacked. Would play him there in a four though!

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Is there something to be said about Brown being back there making the difference and not the formation itself?

He's a natural organiser and something I think we've lacked. Would play him there in a four though!

It could be a number of things; as you've suggested could be down to Brooner being a natural organiser/motivator. Also, I think we're a lot less susceptible to the long diagonal cross ball with a back 3, meaning the full backs bombing on isn't such a clear disadvantage during the counter attack.