The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

32 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Lewis, Bates, McCrorie, Brown, Hayes, Longstaff, Ferguson, Ojo, Hedges, Watkins, Ramirez. 

I think it will be a case of organising the above eleven names into some sort of semi-plausible formation and praying that we don't get any further injuries, tbh. 

Brutal we’re without 5 defenders including the strongest back 4.

I fear the worst tomorrow & I've written it off. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Lewis, Bates, McCrorie, Brown, Hayes, Longstaff, Ferguson, Ojo, Hedges, Watkins, Ramirez. 

I think it will be a case of organising the above eleven names into some sort of semi-plausible formation and praying that we don't get any further injuries, tbh. 

Stephen Glass has to play Dean Campbell at left back to continue the club’s record of playing a player who has come through the youth system in the first eleven of every competitive match since 1949.

4 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Relax lads. 

CD1C4CF8-65C3-4E05-856F-DF429B898DB3.jpeg

I genuinely think the fans are being overly critical on Gurr with limited evidence. He had abomination in the second half at Kirkcaldy but so have all our players had poor halves at some point this season.

Or do the fans commenting have any other examples of his hopelessness?

I'm not saying he isn't going to be hopeless but at least give the lad a proper chance. 

7 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I genuinely think the fans are being overly critical on Gurr with limited evidence. He had abomination in the second half at Kirkcaldy but so have all our players had poor halves at some point this season.

I'm not saying he isn't going to be hopeless but at least give the lad a proper chance. 

I think it’s quite telling that he hasn’t been since. 

prior to the raith game I thought he looked energetic with little quality that could be useful cover in an emergency. 

The second half against raith was so fundamentally bad in the mistakes he made that I decided he can’t be trusted as cover. He’s 25, not an 18 year old starting out. 

Obviously just in my opinion. 

49 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Well, not has to exactly, but if he doesn’t then 72 years of continuity goes down the Swanee.

Did we have a youth system 72 years ago? Is this a verifiable fact?

12 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Brutal we’re without 5 defenders including the strongest back 4.

I fear the worst tomorrow & I've written it off. 

I don't think it's that brutal, provided we don't lose anyone else.

I've thought for weeks that Brown's best role for us would perhaps be as part of a back three - and circumstances have conspired for them to have to give that a go.  That should mean more protection for Bates/McCrorie - particularly if Ojo and Hayes at WB are more defensively-minded, which at Ibrox in particular they will need to be.

I would sooner see McGeouch in the middle than either Longstaff or Campbell.

Up front hopefully the fact we have a couple of ball-carriers now available will also help get the Ram some service.

It's hard to tell whether the occasion tonight will fire up the home side, or if it will be flat - but I'm not entirely as pessimistic about our chances as I would have been with us playing a back four including both young full-backs.  Also Kent is a player that tends to hurt us, and he is still out I believe.

46 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I would sooner see McGeouch in the middle than either Longstaff or Campbell.

I haven't seen Longstaff play to comment on; however, I've seen enough of McGeouch to conclude that he should be moved on in January (ideally, he would've been gone in the summer window).

Whether he isn't playing regularly enough or he's on the slide, but he adds nothing to the side when he plays.

28 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I haven't seen Longstaff play to comment on; however, I've seen enough of McGeouch to conclude that he should be moved on in January (ideally, he would've been gone in the summer window).

Whether he isn't playing regularly enough or he's on the slide, but he adds nothing to the side when he plays.

Disagree with that.

I think McGeouch is a good player - reads the game well, sees a pass and has good experience.  With Brown dropping back, I would think he is the best option.

If we are to get rid, it may be down to his fitness record and the fact he's on a significant wage - but I'd trust him to do a job against Sevco and the yams in the next two.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Disagree with that.

I think McGeouch is a good player - reads the game well, sees a pass and has good experience.  With Brown dropping back, I would think he is the best option.

If we are to get rid, it may be down to his fitness record and the fact he's on a significant wage - but I'd trust him to do a job against Sevco and the yams in the next two.

Well, if it's telling, as @Dons_1988 suggests above, that Gurr hasn't been trusted with first team action since Raith, then in my opinion, it's telling that neither McInnes or Glass have featured McGeouch prominently even on the rare occasions when he is fully fit.

He certainly was useful for Hibs in the midfield (I happened to be at a Livingston v Hibs game in 2015 and was very impressed with him) but I don't think he's replicated that form for either Sunderland (presumably, because they barely played him) or Aberdeen.

Good experience is irrelevant really if the player can no longer cut the mustard playing wise.

EDIT: Actually, a game against Sevco at Ibrox might suit his qualities better but I think he's just a bit slow for many of the teams we play where we're attempting to break down heavily populated defences.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Disagree with that.

If we're writing Gurr off based on the Raith game then McGeouch should have had his contract terminated as he managed to play worse.

16 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

While we are at it why don't we give me a chance, i've played 0 professional games, ok i've played a couple less than Gurr but i quite fancy a go. Can't say no until we try right? So get behind me and support my claim.

You have limited evidence to suggest i don't deserve a shot, right?

Edited by red23

35 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Probably not, but players would have signed for the club as their first football team in those long forgotten days. 

It was a different world.   Pre Bosman players were far more likely to stay at the club where they served their apprenticeship.

It would have been a pretty safe assumption that any team we fielded 72 years ago would have included several players that were products of the club's "youth system", whether it was called that or not.

14 minutes ago, red23 said:

While we are at it why don't we give me a chance, i've played 0 professional games, ok i've played a couple less than Gurr but i quite fancy a go. Can't say no until we try right? So get behind me and support my claim.

You have limited evidence to suggest i don't deserve a shot, right?

Nobody at the club has identified you as a player that might do a job for us and taken you to the club; therefore, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

We heard similar things about Sam Cosgrove that he hadn't scored a senior goal and only played around 20 first team games. 47 AFC goals and £2 million later he can be judged a fairly successful signing.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

12 minutes ago, big al said:

Attack the best form of defence. Need to have a right go at them tonight, and press high at the right moments. 

We've got to hold and give, but do it at the right time. We can be slow or fast, but we must get to the line. They will hit us and hurt us, defend and attack. There's only one way to beat them, and that's around the back.