The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Aye but on a serious note lads - where do dandies go for a drink before ibrox these days?

Not been there since 2008 ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Our supporters club always went to some shitehole on Govan road, but I believe it's closed now.ย  Brechins Bar on Govan Rd is still there, and it's only a 15 minute walk to the away turnstiles.ย 

Surprisingly, the pubs on Govan Rd are relatively ork free and generally welcoming to away fans. It's just a bit of a pain in the arse getting there.ย 

Benburb social club used to be good, but that burnt down a few years back.ย 

1 hour ago, Highloon said:
On 23/10/2021 at 18:59, kingjoey said:
Fans were hounding Derek McInnes long before the second half of last season.

Agreed, some where, but the results were previously ok, which was the point.

That was my point certainly.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I think that Saturday told us a couple of things.

Firstly, give it, give it, give it to Christian Ramirez, and he'll score. Stop fannying about playing him on the halfway line, or wide on the right or wherever. Get him in the box, and get crosses in to him. We've got a 20 goal a season striker here and it would be insane not to use him in the right way.ย 

Secondly, to get points on the board and get confidence back in the team and the fans, we're going to have to shitfest our way to a few wins. Make the defence as tight as a duck's arsehole, and scrap for every ball.ย 

Ditch the Brazil 1970 idea (or at least park it in a dark drawer for a while) and start fighting hard for 1-0 wins against the likes of Motherwell, St Mirren, Ross County etc.ย 

Yeap, it's all a bit McInnes-esque, but at the moment we have no spine to the team, no base to begin on. We have to take small steps before we can run.ย 

Saturday was a good start, but we need to continue it on Wednesday night then again on Saturday.ย 

ย 

33 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I think that Saturday told us a couple of things.

Firstly, give it, give it, give it to Christian Ramirez, and he'll score. Stop fannying about playing him on the halfway line, or wide on the right or wherever. Get him in the box, and get crosses in to him. We've got a 20 goal a season striker here and it would be insane not to use him in the right way.ย 

Secondly, to get points on the board and get confidence back in the team and the fans, we're going to have to shitfest our way to a few wins. Make the defence as tight as a duck's arsehole, and scrap for every ball.ย 

Ditch the Brazil 1970 idea (or at least park it in a dark drawer for a while) and start fighting hard for 1-0 wins against the likes of Motherwell, St Mirren, Ross County etc.ย 

Yeap, it's all a bit McInnes-esque, but at the moment we have no spine to the team, no base to begin on. We have to take small steps before we can run.ย 

Saturday was a good start, but we need to continue it on Wednesday night then again on Saturday.ย 

ย 

We saw the advantage of having a forward thinking player in and around Ramirez instead of playing two either side of him and 3 CM's thirty yards or so behind as we move up the pitch. Ramirez himself said he enjoyed having another player up beside him.

I don't think we need to ditch the idea of playing good football. We were passing it about well until the Ramsay and Gallagher injuries on Saturday.ย 

Definitely something to build on but depending on injuries I think anything other than a shafting on Wednesday should be glossed over. I've criticised Gallagher but if he continues to play as he did on Saturday then he'll be a big player for us. Ramsay and MacKenzie have already shown how important they are.

Agree - things worked out well.ย  Taking the lead for a change clearly helped, and in the second half I felt strangely comfortable in the knowledge that Brown, Ojo and Hayes would all be able to concentrate on the defensive side of the game. McCrorie played well, with only Bates selling himself a couple of times remaining the worry.

Agree that we just need to accept Ramirez is a penalty box striker. Having the strength, skill and mobility of Watkins up there with him should get him functioning much better.ย  It is really grim to read that the twitteratti have already subjected Ramirez and his missus to abuse.ย  Even if not playing well, he looks like he really feels it and I don't think ever gives less than his all for the cause.

For those that thought we may benefit in the longer term from Mackenzie and Ramsay coming out of the team for a couple of games, looks like we'll inadvertently get that wish.ย  Hopefully neither are serious, but doesn't sound great for Mackenzie.ย  Superb again from Ramsay for the goal, but I actually felt that positionally Ojo did well in defending the lead and given we're at Ibrox next, maybe we stick with him as RWB rather than bringing in the likes of Gurr.ย 

Small steps, but this was a critical result and performance..............and given we've been okay against the sides in the top half of the table, nothing to fear in the next two?!

I'm seriously pissed off if fans are having a go at Ramirez.ย  I thought he was immense on Saturday.ย  Incredible work-rate, physically aggressive and got kicked from pillar to post but just got up and got on with it.ย  Plus a superbly taken goal of course. Fans rated him our second best player (next to Watkins) on the BBC site on Saturday so most of our fans get it.

ย 

ย 

2 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

I'm seriously pissed off if fans are having a go at Ramirez.ย  I thought he was immense on Saturday.ย  Incredible work-rate, physically aggressive and got kicked from pillar to post but just got up and got on with it.ย  Plus a superbly taken goal of course. Fans rated him our second best player (next to Watkins) on the BBC site on Saturday so most of our fans get it.

ย 

ย 

I'm only going by reports and what I read on here (and the occasional highlights) and I think he has done well to date.

6 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

ย 

ย 

I don't know what anyone is hoping to achieve sending abusive messages on social media to players for their own team but to send it to their relatives is absolute weirdo behaviour.

6 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It would be a massive blow if Ramsay is out for a while. Still a relatively small sample size, but I don't think it's too big of a stretch to argue that he is already our best player.

By some considerable distance in my opinion.

On 20/10/2021 at 14:59, House Bartender said:

Absolutely this. The Donalds took a risk with him and it was the second best managerial risk they took. Turned the club in the right direction and heading for a long awaited Cup. The AFC George Kinnell obit (link back a page or so) tells a lot about the state of the club at that time.

A great man and - as you say - underappreciated by history.ย  But a Hibee.ย 

He put his wonderful " Tornadoes " together who might have won the league if East Fife had not broken John Brownie's leg !