The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

26 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I've posted several times in the last couple of weeks that both full backs charging up the pitch is causing issue and the solution could be as simple as one of them tucking in to make a back three while the other pushes on.

This has been obvious since Dundee United pumped us out the SC, hasn’t it? 

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This has been obvious since Dundee United pumped us out the SC, hasn’t it? 

If we're still playing like we did in that game, I'm amazed we've been able to amass 8 points, tbh.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

In fairness to him, I wouldn’t expect him to say much different. 

There clearly is a media ‘agenda’ to create noise around his job but it’s nothing more sinister than he is clearly the worst performing manager in the league at one of the bigger clubs so it’s newsworthy. 

Glass and Cormack can bang on all they want, but they can never escape the fact that we're in this position because results have been brutal. 

That's all that counts. 

The hunesque/Mad Vlad ranting at journalists, and moonhowling about posession and 'data' insults the supporters and is an embarrassment to the club. 

Instead of building walls to keep criticism out, just put a team out on the park that win fucking games. If Glass can't do that, he needs to either jump or be pushed. 

It's really as simple as that. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Glass and Cormack can bang on all they want, but they can never escape the fact that we're in this position because results have been brutal. 

That's all that counts. 

The hunesque/Mad Vlad ranting at journalists, and moonhowling about posession and 'data' insults the supporters and is an embarrassment to the club. 

Instead of building walls to keep criticism out, just put a team out on the park that win fucking games. If Glass can't do that, he needs to either jump or be pushed. 

I don’t think glass has said anything particularly wrong. He’s in a difficult position personally. 

The rest of your post is just stating the obvious really. 

25 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t think glass has said anything particularly wrong. He’s in a difficult position personally. 

The rest of your post is just stating the obvious really. 

It doesn't seem to be obvious to certain people...

What I find odd is that many appear to forget the goals we've actually conceded in the league THIS season (possibly too painful!), surely the best barometer to judge our defence. I've lost count the number of times I've heard it's all because the young fullbacks are bombing forward together, leaving the CBs exposed and the only ones left defending. Not true.

Where we have been vulnerable is when our keeper has had the ball, the starting position of both Ramsey and Mackenzie is approaching half way and we immediately lose possession. When you look at the 13 league goals we've conceded, there are three goals where the initial starting position of the FBs may have been a contributing factor; the first Motherwell goal, the first Celtic goal and the St Mirren first (Joe's poor kick). Goals where the ball is immediately pinged back by the opposition as a result of careless distribution by the keeper or CBs. The FBs are advanced (it only needs to be by a few yards) and cannot influence play. On every occasion the CBs have failed to deal with it (they should have, although fair play, two were from the terrific crosses). Certainly something to improve on there. The Motherwell first goal is a good example.

Sorry to break the news, but there's been arguably no goals scored in this way. It's a complete myth. Who actually started this? The only goal from a long ball was on Saturday, but that was a result of Bates trying to play offside rather than do the simple thing and deal with it (some may think MacKenzie should have been back with Bates too - fair point). At a push that's only one goal. Most goals conceded have been a result of poor decision making, poor goalkeeping, not tracking back by midfielders/wingers and just general shit play. Joe's errors, Fergie's duck, Dec's penalty, Bate's St Mirren horror show, collective team cluster fucks like Celtic's 2nd, Dundee's 2nd, May drifting past everyone...it goes on.

It appears folk just want to rewrite history, or just don't watch all the games (like your typical pundit). Looking at the stats and the average position of the FBs on Saturday (suggesting this is typical) is totally misleading looked in isolation....we're two down, they're clearly going to bomb forward and try to get us back in the game.

Anyway, I expect us to win 2-1 against Hibs, conceding a penalty from a corner.....but reported as a result of the fullbacks bombing forward 🙂

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Sheepster said:

What I find odd is that many appear to forget the goals we've actually conceded in the league THIS season (possibly too painful!), surely the best barometer to judge our defence. I've lost count the number of times I've heard it's all because the young fullbacks are bombing forward together, leaving the CBs exposed and the only ones left defending. Not true.

Where we have been vulnerable is when our keeper has had the ball, the starting position of both Ramsey and Mackenzie is approaching half way and we immediately lose possession. When you look at the 13 league goals we've conceded, there are three goals where the initial starting position of the FBs may have been a contributing factor; the first Motherwell goal, the first Celtic goal and the St Mirren first (Joe's poor kick). Goals where the ball is immediately pinged back by the opposition as a result of careless distribution by the keeper or CBs. The FBs are advanced (it only needs to be by a few yards) and cannot influence play. On every occasion the CBs have failed to deal with it (they should have, although fair play, two were from the terrific crosses). Certainly something to improve on there. The Motherwell first goal is a good example.

Sorry to break the news, but there's been arguably no goals scored in this way. It's a complete myth. Who actually started this? The only goal from a long ball was on Saturday, but that was a result of Bates trying to play offside rather than do the simple thing and deal with it (some may think MacKenzie should have been back with Bates too - fair point). At a push that's only one goal. Most goals conceded have been a result of poor decision making, poor goalkeeping, not tracking back by midfielders/wingers and just general shit play. Joe's errors, Fergie's duck, Dec's penalty, Bate's St Mirren horror show, collective team cluster fucks like Celtic's 2nd, Dundee's 2nd, May drifting past everyone...it goes on.

It appears folk just want to rewrite history, or just don't watch all the games (like your typical pundit). Looking at the stats and the average position of the FBs on Saturday (suggesting this is typical) is totally misleading looked in isolation....we're two down, they're clearly going to bomb forward and try to get us back in the game.

Anyway, I expect us to win 2-1 against Hibs, conceding a penalty from a corner.....but reported as a result of the fullbacks bombing forward 🙂

We also lose goals because of an inability to move the ball forwards quickly enough. The defence and midfield spend so much time with sideways passes or 3 yard one/two's that the opposition have inevitably re-grouped in front of us. 

10 seconds later we have a midfielder losing the ball in the centre circle with his back to the oppositgoal, and our defence is exposed.

In short, not only are we shite at defending, we're pretty awful at attacking as well. 

3 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Was about to post the same thing.

Big step in the right direction. His work is very good.

What is it about his work that is very good? What experience does he have?  Playing Devils Advocate slightly here as can see huge benefits in going in this direction.

On 20/10/2021 at 18:06, Suspect Device said:

Never too early to sack a manager. Ask mad Vlad. Was looking up shortest managerial reigns today and hearts figure prominently.

Burley obviously (12 games) but a name I couldn't even remember was the shortest. Eugenijus Riabovas 2 games. 

Ah, the Lithuanian State Circus when it rolled into Gorgie - Hearts definitely had the 'banter years' baton before deadco/sevco took it on - if we are to keep that, maybe we need an Atlanta version of this bloke for a couple of games if and when Glass is emptied.

On 21/10/2021 at 09:58, Bob Mahelp said:

That's all that counts. 

If results are brutal and that’s all that counts, can you explain why people were hounding Derek McInnes out at a time when results were ok?

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

If results are brutal and that’s all that counts, can you explain why people were hounding Derek McInnes out at a time when results were ok?

Probably a combination of boredom, a hope that the grass is always greener, the belief that he's a hvn, and Curtis Main. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Probably a combination of boredom, a hope that the grass is always greener, the belief that he's a hvn, and Curtis Main. 

Aye, you’re probably right. The constant McHuness thing used to do my head in. Anyone that thought that about him when he was here, should have been put in a locked room with his celebration when Lewis Ferguson scored the winner against Rangers in the League Cup semi final playing on a loop.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Aye, you’re probably right. The constant McHuness thing used to do my head in. Anyone that thought that about him when he was here, should have been put in a locked room with his celebration when Lewis Ferguson scored the winner against Rangers in the League Cup semi final playing on a loop.

I agree. 

I'm gonna try and give the Glass/Cormack criticism a bit of a rest as well. There's not much else to say, and if oor Dave decides that Glass is going to stay, then he's going to stay. 

Let's just hope that it maybe gets better, starting tomorrow. COYR. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Indeed but his Deadco connections did not contribute to any rational fan’s thinking when they wanted a change

He’d been here for 8 years, failed to build on one cup win in the easiest leagues any Aberdeen manager will ever have, had run out of ideas, the football was abhorrent and the recruitment was getting very sketchy 

Just because it’s looking like Glass is a mistake doesn’t mean it wasn’t time to amicably part ways with Deek

I have a mate who’s a bigger Derek fanboy than you Joey and he genuinely seems delighted Glass is making a balls of it, it’s sad 

Not that I’m suggesting that of you min, I know you just want the best for the club but the Fergie-esque worship McInnes gets from some is absolutely bemusing to me 

McInnes is getting a bit like Covid now - I like forward to the day when we never have to fucking discuss it anymore 

Edited by Frank Grimes

4 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Indeed but his Deadco connections did not contribute to any rational fan’s thinking when they wanted a change

He’d been here for 8 years, failed to build on one cup win in the easiest leagues any Aberdeen manager will ever have, had run out of ideas, the football was abhorrent and the recruitment was getting very sketchy 

Just because it’s looking like Glass is a mistake doesn’t mean it wasn’t time to amicably part ways with Deek

I have a mate who’s a bigger Derek fanboy than you Joey and he genuinely seems delighted Glass is making a balls of it, it’s sad 

Not that I’m suggesting that of you min, I know you just want the best for the club but the Fergie-esque worship McInnes gets from some is absolutely bemusing to me 

McInnes is getting a bit like Covid now - I like forward to the day when we never have to fucking discuss it anymore 

Just remember, it took Derek to come along for us to stop talking about Jimmy 

5 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

My post wasn’t meant to go back over any old ground with Derek McInnes, it was simply to point out the nonsense of some of our fans.  However, you seem to want to drag up the old ground, so I’ll just point out again that in the “easiest leagues that any Aberdeen manager will ever have”, which no team outside of Celtic and Rangers have won in the last 36 years, he finished 2nd four seasons in a row. Also let’s not rewrite history, he was getting called McHunless from the day he was appointed by a section of fans, not just from when things went downhill. And just for the record, I now appreciate that he had to go when he did.

Guest Bob Mahelp

As opposed to the point where we stop talking about McInnes, I'm looking forward to the point where we can actually talk about the positive job that McInnes did. How he took us from absolute shite, to 2nd in the league, regular cup finals, and respectable European performances.

I do realise that that point will never come until we get a manager in that improves on McInnes's record.