The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I've been thinking about this season. I'm not one of those pant pishers (I think), but I'm a little bit concerned. I'm not overly concerned by the squad in fact, I think individually we have the talent to be pushing at the top of the league. The concern I have is a change in the way the management team seem to be handling games.

At the start of the season we would have a pish first half, then get 3 (effective) changes at half time, and go on to win the match.

In recent matches it looks like that decisiveness has gone. It's almost like the head coach and his assistant coaches have settled on their preferred 11, and have slumped into a kind of "well there's not much more we can do" attitude. Now, I feel there is a lot more to come from this group of players, but they clearly need to find a spark of inspiration from somewhere. That needs to come from the management team.

Bates career is a bit of a sham tbh.  Looked decent with us, but not much more than that.  Got signed by Rangers on the back of a good game against an ageing Kenny Miller.

I don't think he's done anything to suggest that he's good enough for Aberdeen.  He's built an entire career on the back of Rangers taking a punt on him.

Cheers for Ethan Ross btw. 

My loon trains at Cormack Park on Wednesday evenings. Brown and Glass were both heading in around the same time. The chat from other parents was that they were in for a meal and a chat with Cormack so it's fairly obvious the board aren't happy with the situation we're in. It will be interesting to see if there's any changes to how we set up this weekend.

Was also told that Gallagher, his wife and kids are up here in a flat several days a week from now on. Will be interesting to see if that improves his game any.

First post. I live in hope that Hedges' return this weekend will give us that spark. We need something. We've scored one goal in open play in the last five games so it's no surprise we find ourselves on 8 points (easy to lose sight of that with the focus constantly on the defence). We've conceded 11 goals in the league in 8 games (too many, one a penalty). Without 2-3 errors from Joe, our defensive record would actually be on a par with Hibs. We need to be better up front. Our points total is not just down to the defence.  

In the last 4 games we've restricted the opposition to only 9 attempts on target. It's a bizarre stat that this has resulted in 8 goals, two from two of the best crosses I've seen this season.  If we're persisting with a back 4, we need to land on a pairing in the middle and give them a run of games. Maybe it is time for Gallagher. Hopefully the errors we've seen will start to dry up. Midfielders / wide players must also switch on and take responsibility, we're also conceded goals due to a lack of tracking back.  Andy is a loss, not just his presence at the back, but his link up play down the left. It's obvious we miss a left sided CB.

1 hour ago, Sheepster said:

First post. I live in hope that Hedges' return this weekend will give us that spark. We need something. We've scored one goal in open play in the last five games so it's no surprise we find ourselves on 8 points (easy to lose sight of that with the focus constantly on the defence). We've conceded 11 goals in the league in 8 games (too many, one a penalty). Without 2-3 errors from Joe, our defensive record would actually be on a par with Hibs. We need to be better up front. Our points total is not just down to the defence.  

In the last 4 games we've restricted the opposition to only 9 attempts on target. It's a bizarre stat that this has resulted in 8 goals, two from two of the best crosses I've seen this season.  If we're persisting with a back 4, we need to land on a pairing in the middle and give them a run of games. Maybe it is time for Gallagher. Hopefully the errors we've seen will start to dry up. Midfielders / wide players must also switch on and take responsibility, we're also conceded goals due to a lack of tracking back.  Andy is a loss, not just his presence at the back, but his link up play down the left. It's obvious we miss a left sided CB.

Taking that analysis into account, it's slightly worrying to see Glass himself implying in an interview in The Times today that our problems are all defensive.  He makes the same point you make about the amount of goals we've conceded being disproportionate to the number of opportunities we've conceded.  Fair point, and it does suggest some bad luck.

But he also claims:

"We look like we carry a threat in every game which is something we had to address. We feel like we have done that." And

"We look like a team that can score goals".

One goal from open play in 5 matches makes these claims look like pure denial.  His incoherent language (sample:  "it has been pretty obvious for the bulk of the season we might lose a goal through an individual bit from the other team other than ourselves being cut open") suggests that he's not in a great place mentally.

If we don't get a performance and result against Dundee he may be doing himself a favour by cutting short the agony.

16 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Bates career is a bit of a sham tbh.  Looked decent with us, but not much more than that.  Got signed by Rangers on the back of a good game against an ageing Kenny Miller.

I don't think he's done anything to suggest that he's good enough for Aberdeen.  He's built an entire career on the back of Rangers taking a punt on him.

Cheers for Ethan Ross btw. 

Love looking for shite players on my charts. But aye...

Bates.thumb.png.5123c226ffeef66781faf82c06525760.png

That must be the beginning of the end for Glass now surely? Really hard to see us take more than a point or two at the very most before the next Scotland break. Given how much of a soft touch we are some of the upcoming games could get really ugly.

Then again Cormack may still be reluctant to give up on Glass that quick.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Every single Aberdeen fan that went on twitter whining aboot 'McInnes oot', and therefore helping Cormack in his suicide mission, needs to take responsibility for this fucking shambles. 

Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

Every single Aberdeen fan that went on twitter whining aboot 'McInnes oot', and therefore helping Cormack in his suicide mission, needs to take responsibility for this fucking shambles. 

I'm sure I read you on here recently saying that it was the right time for McInnes to go? 

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Heads gone thread for that.

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I'm sure I read you on here recently saying that it was the right time for McInnes to go? 

4 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

B-b-b-but it was the "right time"!

Under the twisted set of circumstances.....a Chairman who didn't want McInnes, gave him little support, thinks he's a footballing genius himself, and wanted his family pal in....there was no choice but for McInnes to go. 

McInnes himself knew he was dead in the water from the second Cormack was appointed. 

I've been consistent in saying from the beginning that McInnes had to leave. That doesn't distract from the fact that Cormack and his ego have been a disaster for the club. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Heads gone thread for that.

Not at all. 

Cormack himself has intimated that he reacted to 'fan pressure' in removing McInnes and appointing a pal. 

People screaming for McInnes to go and demanding that the grass should always be greener, were Cormack's useful idiots.