The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, betting competition said:

I don't really care for friendlies results

Cheers...

I certainly cared the night I went up to Peterhead to watch us get gubbed 4-0 or when McGoo led us to a 3-1 defeat at The Broch with a team of unknowns including an Indian international.

Although the scoreline has no relevance, it can be a good indicator of the quality and morale of the squad.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Guest Bob Mahelp

I've no idea what type of team Arbroath put out, but their first XI are a decent team in good form. 

I wouldn't put any cash at all on our 'top side' getting a result against them, never mind our reserves. 

On 09/10/2021 at 13:27, Thenorthernlight said:

No Lewis, Ramsay, McCrorie, MacKenzie, Brown, Ferguson, Hedges, Watkins & Ramirez so 9 of our strongest X1 not playing…. But yes, a strong enough team not to get beaten by Arbroath you’d think.

Doesn't sound like the “fun” will end, even if we lose to rock bottom Dundee…Cormack & Wicks publicly backed Glass last night.

They should’ve just kept quiet. 

He is rotten. I can’t imagine his inclusion improving any team. He seems to lack even the very basic skills and timing of a centre forward. 

13 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

He is rotten. I can’t imagine his inclusion improving any team. He seems to lack even the very basic skills and timing of a centre forward. 

He's not rotten, I'm not convinced he's got the ability to play as an isolated number 9, he started the season well in a front two.

57 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Very harsh imo

He is a natural goalscorer, but that’s generally all he is and needs good service which we aren’t providing him with at the moment 

His goals against Bredablik and St Mirren show how ruthless he can be front of goal given a decent sniff 

He’s certainty a significant upgrade on the hilarity’s of our forward line last season 

5 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Very harsh imo

He is a natural goalscorer, but that’s generally all he is and needs good service which we aren’t providing him with at the moment 

His goals against Bredablik and St Mirren show how ruthless he can be front of goal given a decent sniff 

He’s certainty a significant upgrade on the hilarity’s of our forward line last season 

To be fair that is a pretty low bar to set. Not been convinced by him at all so far. 

13 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Very harsh imo

I don’t watch him every week, so maybe I’m just unlucky with the bits I see. To me, he looks like he struggles with his first touch, and his timing is always a few seconds off. Always seems to have long balls bouncing off him, stopping him from getting in good goal scoring positions. Also seems to arrive a second too late to crosses etc. He does have a pretty good footballing name though. Sounds like he should be decent.

It's probably too early to judge Ramirez but 6 goals in 13 games is a decent return for a guy playing in a stuttering team.  I do suspect he's going to be one of those strikers you feel hasn't contributed enough in games where he hasn't scored, but he works hard and takes a lot of physical punishment and gets up and gets on with it. 

The player he reminds me of slightly is Scott Vernon.  Vernon didn't contribute a huge amount apart from goals, but for a couple of seasons he contributed enough of those to more than justify his place.  Vernon's main asset was that when on form he converted a much higher proportion of his chances than most SPL strikers.  His failing was fragile self-confidence which meant he finally lost form completely.  If (big if) Ramirez is a psychologically more robust Vernon, he'll do ok.

It's probably too early to judge Ramirez but 6 goals in 13 games is a decent return for a guy playing in a stuttering team.  I do suspect he's going to be one of those strikers you feel hasn't contributed enough in games where he hasn't scored, but he works hard and takes a lot of physical punishment and gets up and gets on with it. 
The player he reminds me of slightly is Scott Vernon.  Vernon didn't contribute a huge amount apart from goals, but for a couple of seasons he contributed enough of those to more than justify his place.  Vernon's main asset was that when on form he converted a much higher proportion of his chances than most SPL strikers.  His failing was fragile self-confidence which meant he finally lost form completely.  If (big if) Ramirez is a psychologically more robust Vernon, he'll do ok.

Hopefully we don’t try and play Ramirez at centre-mid.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 hours ago, sheeptastic said:

Big Brian Irvine on the defensive situation - https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/brian-irvine-aberdeen-triangle-assertion-21848669

Probably should have prioritised that position in the summer. 

We brought in Gallagher and Bates, so I suppose we did. Gallagher isn't doing what we brought him in to do, and it's been bad luck with big Andy. 

We simply can't continue with a back that is 23, 22, 21 and 18 years old though. It's killing us. 

Big Brian Irvine on the defensive situation - https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/brian-irvine-aberdeen-triangle-assertion-21848669
Probably should have prioritised that position in the summer. 

Spot on Brian - the vast majority of good teams are built on a solid base and an element of stability.

The edict to improve the playing style as a first priority has predictably led to us being a soft-touch for any reasonably well set up opponent.

Hopefully some pragmatism is introduced in order to get some points on the board - a bit of confidence and consistency in the side and the entertainment will come as a by-product.

Agree that Considine has been a huge miss…….especially since we’re at Dens next.

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We brought in Gallagher and Bates, so I suppose we did. Gallagher isn't doing what we brought him in to do, and it's been bad luck with big Andy. 

We simply can't continue with a back that is 23, 22, 21 and 18 years old though. It's killing us. 

I think Bates is hopeless, but he is 25 so hardly an untested youngster now. We have definitely been unfortunate with Considine's injury and he has been a big miss, but I think Gallagher has to come in against Dundee and hopefully begin to play himself into some sort of form, either as a replacement for Bates or in the middle of a three. 

9 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I think Bates is hopeless, but he is 25 so hardly an untested youngster now. 

I missed the St Johnstone game, but heard his performance was 'encouraging' there.

At St Mirren, he was headsgone along with several others after the red card.

Against Celtic, after the early poor judgement with the Kyogo goal, he actually settled into a decent enough game.

Given he was good enough to be signed by Hamburg - is it not worth persisting with him and giving him some time to settle in ahead of writing him off as 'hopeless' already?

33 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I missed the St Johnstone game, but heard his performance was 'encouraging' there.

At St Mirren, he was headsgone along with several others after the red card.

Against Celtic, after the early poor judgement with the Kyogo goal, he actually settled into a decent enough game.

Given he was good enough to be signed by Hamburg - is it not worth persisting with him and giving him some time to settle in ahead of writing him off as 'hopeless' already?

I mean, I'm definitely being influenced by the fact that I didn't rate him before we signed him anyway, so what I've seen from him since he joined has basically just confirmed my worst fears about him. Great if he can turn it around, but I'm not just basing my judgement only on his performances since joining us. 

Admittedly, he's probably not being helped by being partnered with McCrorie (likewise, McCrorie, who isn't perfect but I prefer to Bates, isn't helped by being partnered with him). Gallagher has to be in there alongside one of them and hopefully start to play himself into form - he's the most similar centre-back to Considine that we have, and both McCrorie and Bates seem to be the types who would benefit from a more old-fashioned stopper beside them.