The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

17 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

If this clusterfuck is all about 'Cormack saving face', then we're truly doomed. 

If Dave 'I'm a man of the people and I was in Gothenburg' truly understands football as much as he thinks he does, then he'll realise that we've moved very quickly past 'transitional period', and we left 'unlucky' behind a few weeks ago. 

This is a poor league, and we're struggling to the point that by the end of October time we could realistically be bottom of the table. To keep on on saying, 'ah this is a blip and it's going to get better, because it must', is to go against a hundred years or more of football reality. 

Glass is out of his depth and we need to get rid of him, and bring in an experienced manager. Now. 

I still have this nagging fear that Cormack's ego is going to destroy the club. 

So, I ask ye, fit will Cormack do? It’s nae aboot ahbody else saving Cormack’s face, HE is noo in the position o having tae save some face. I jist dinna think he’ll sack Glass, mainly because his pride winna allow and I dinna think we’ll be in a relegation battle. But, Cormack might have tae be seen tae do something.

14 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Still quite annoyed that he dropped Lewis, although I had a feeling after his post-match interview last Sunday that Glass would do it - and, to be fair, Woods wasn’t directly accountable for either of the goals today. 

I accept that he hasn’t been at his best in recent weeks, but Lewis is one of the best goalkeepers in the league on his day and, at a very minimum, better than Woods at the goalkeeping fundamentals. Going into a difficult run of games leaving our best goalkeeper on the bench just doesn’t seem like a sensible move to me. 

Lewis's form problems didn't start a few weeks ago, he's been lacking confidence and error-prone since the start of last season.  Both McInnes and Glass gave him every chance to work through it, and they've both paid a price because he's cost us goals and points.  I'd love to see the old Lewis back, but I doubt I will.  33 isn't considered old for a keeper, but there are exceptions - Theo Snelders was an example of a big, muscular keeper whose reflexes slowed down relatively young.  He was well past his best by the time he was 32.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

It’s far too early to write Lewis off as being finished as a keeper. His form has been poor but even last season he still made some important saves that got us a point in a few of our dreadful 0-0’s. 

Its fair to say though that his distribution will never be great. 

Think we have to back Glass unless we are in a relegation fight but with that I would give him till early December and if results are terrible then make the change in time for the transfer window

I have major concerns as like most games there is a lack of organisation defensively. Watching McKenzie struggle when Celtic also had a spare player when attacking and was disappointed with Samuels not tracking back to him him which left him exposed. Glass changed this at the start of the second half although Hayes did move back sometime in the second half. 

I don't think Lewis's form has been quite as bad as people have made out, to be honest. He tends to make at least a couple of high-profile blunders every season, and these have probably been gradually increasing in frequency, but the more pertinent question is surely whether Woods is the better option at the moment. I have seen nothing from him to suggest he is an upgrade in any area other than perhaps having incrementally better distribution, and even that is from a small sample size. 

My concern is that it is Glass attempting to stamp his authority a bit and sending out a message that nobody is undroppable, which I can kind of understand, but it is a move that actually makes it less likely that we will get the results we need in the coming weeks to turn things round. 

5 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I don't think Lewis's form has been quite as bad as people have made out, to be honest. He tends to make at least a couple of high-profile blunders every season, and these have probably been gradually increasing in frequency, but the more pertinent question is surely whether Woods is the better option at the moment. I have seen nothing from him to suggest he is an upgrade in any area other than perhaps having incrementally better distribution, and even that is from a small sample size. 

My concern is that it is Glass attempting to stamp his authority a bit and sending out a message that nobody is undroppable, which I can kind of understand, but it is a move that actually makes it less likely that we will get the results we need in the coming weeks to turn things round. 

There’s no way (in my mind) that woods is a better option than Lewis so the question is would Joe’s confidence/focus/whatever benefit from a few games rest and is it worth risking playing an inferior keeper for a couple of games. 

In the mid term, if glass thinks Lewis isn’t good enough then he needs to be looking at the transfer market as woods isn’t a viable option as a number 1, for me. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

In the mid term, if glass thinks Lewis isn’t good enough then he needs to be looking at the transfer market as woods isn’t a viable option as a number 1, for me. 

I'd be much more happy to drop Lewis if Cerny was still at the club. 

Of more concern, is how long we're going to continue playing a back 4 with an average age of 22, which looks shaky under any kind of pressure ?

Mackenzie and Ramsey both look like they need a break from the pressure of holding the team up. Gallagher needs to step up the plate fucking quickly and convince people that he's an international centre half, because I'm in no way certain that a Bates/McCrorie partnership is anything other than a ticket to the bottom 3. 

On top of that, Ferguson has to decide whether he wants to play for us or not. Because at the moment what I'm seeing is a a disinterested player giving around 75% each week. 

Frankly, we have problems all over the park. Longstaff can be filed in beside Gurr as 'never a football player in a million years' if yesterday is anything to go by, and wtf is going on with Hedges and Watkins ? Injured, ill, crap or what ? 

These are the players that we're desperate to get a tune out of, because we're not going to score goals and win games without them. We're already vulnerable to a Ramirez injury which would leave us without a striker in the squad.

Woods isn't a great replacement for Lewis, but at this moment in time I think that it's frankly not the worst of our problems. 

26 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'd be much more happy to drop Lewis if Cerny was still at the club. 

Of more concern, is how long we're going to continue playing a back 4 with an average age of 22, which looks shaky under any kind of pressure ?

Mackenzie and Ramsey both look like they need a break from the pressure of holding the team up. Gallagher needs to step up the plate fucking quickly and convince people that he's an international centre half, because I'm in no way certain that a Bates/McCrorie partnership is anything other than a ticket to the bottom 3. 

On top of that, Ferguson has to decide whether he wants to play for us or not. Because at the moment what I'm seeing is a a disinterested player giving around 75% each week. 

Frankly, we have problems all over the park. Longstaff can be filed in beside Gurr as 'never a football player in a million years' if yesterday is anything to go by, and wtf is going on with Hedges and Watkins ? Injured, ill, crap or what ? 

These are the players that we're desperate to get a tune out of, because we're not going to score goals and win games without them. We're already vulnerable to a Ramirez injury which would leave us without a striker in the squad.

Woods isn't a great replacement for Lewis, but at this moment in time I think that it's frankly not the worst of our problems. 

You’re preaching to the converted on our issues, I was responding directly to the idea that Lewis was done, not commenting on our overall problems. I’ve been banging the drum about our defence since we beat the Icelandic lads. 

19 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

If this clusterfuck is all about 'Cormack saving face', then we're truly doomed. 

If Dave 'I'm a man of the people and I was in Gothenburg' truly understands football as much as he thinks he does, then he'll realise that we've moved very quickly past 'transitional period', and we left 'unlucky' behind a few weeks ago. 

This is a poor league, and we're struggling to the point that by the end of October time we could realistically be bottom of the table. To keep on on saying, 'ah this is a blip and it's going to get better, because it must', is to go against a hundred years or more of football reality. 

Glass is out of his depth and we need to get rid of him, and bring in an experienced manager. Now. 

I still have this nagging fear that Cormack's ego is going to destroy the club. 

You may want to take up supporting Watford if you’re looking at a senario where you want the manager binned after 6 months but less than 3 months with his own squad. If Stephen Glass is sacked now, what do you then do a further 3 months down the line if things haven’t picked up. Your answer may be that we make sure that the next appointment is the right one, but that can never be guaranteed. I could almost understand if the team had been playing utterly shite in most games, but for anyone watching the games it is obvious that isn’t the case. On the Joe Lewis situation, I think we got lucky yesterday, as apart from the two goals where he was probably not at fault, for the first I think he expects Bates to head it clear easily, Celtic never tested Woods once. Not confident having him as our number one keeper.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

You may want to take up supporting Watford if you’re looking at a senario where you want the manager binned after 6 months but less than 3 months with his own squad. If Stephen Glass is sacked now, what do you then do a further 3 months down the line if things haven’t picked up. Your answer may be that we make sure that the next appointment is the right one, but that can never be guaranteed. I could almost understand if the team had been playing utterly shite in most games, but for anyone watching the games it is obvious that isn’t the case. 

There's no right answer to these points, is there ? Obviously nobody knows what the future holds. 

It's all about opinion, and possibly the laws of probability. My opinion is that Glass was an ego appointment, a disastrous gamble after the progress made under McInnes, and I'd prefer to get rid of him now before this season really does become a relegation struggle. I respect that other opinions are available, and that I could well be wrong (and hopefully I am).

The laws of (football) probability though, suggest that Glass will not suddenly find the magic button and that all will be good. It's not often that football works that way. As it stands at this point in time, it looks far more likely that this season will continue to be a painful struggle, with poor results interspersed with enough draws and occasional wins to keep us up. 

Again, I want to be wrong, but unlike you I don't see many signs that things are improving. In fact, in our league games so far I'd suggest that we've only played well against Dundee United and the 2nd half against Hearts. Without ever playing all that well, we should have beaten Ross County. 

In all other games (including yesterday against an awful Celtic), we've went from hopeless to clueless to absolutely brutal. 

We're clinging on to the fact that yes, there have been signs in some games that we're not as bad as results suggest, but at some point this has to start turning into wins and points. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

There's no right answer to these points, is there ? Obviously nobody knows what the future holds. 

It's all about opinion, and possibly the laws of probability. My opinion is that Glass was an ego appointment, a disastrous gamble after the progress made under McInnes, and I'd prefer to get rid of him now before this season really does become a relegation struggle. I respect that other opinions are available, and that I could well be wrong (and hopefully I am).

The laws of (football) probability though, suggest that Glass will not suddenly find the magic button and that all will be good. It's not often that football works that way. As it stands at this point in time, it looks far more likely that this season will continue to be a painful struggle, with poor results interspersed with enough draws and occasional wins to keep us up. 

Again, I want to be wrong, but unlike you I don't see many signs that things are improving. In fact, in our league games so far I'd suggest that we've only played well against Dundee United and the 2nd half against Hearts. Without ever playing all that well, we should have beaten Ross County. 

In all other games (including yesterday against an awful Celtic), we've went from hopeless to clueless to absolutely brutal. 

We're clinging on to the fact that yes, there have been signs in some games that we're not as bad as results suggest, but at some point this has to start turning into wins and points. 

Very much this

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

On top of that, Ferguson has to decide whether he wants to play for us or not.

From the outside it looked like he made his mind up on that a while ago.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

From the outside it looked like he made his mind up on that a while ago.

Yesterday was very much a typical Ferguson performance. 

Utterly anonymous in the first half, but then he pushed (or was pushed) further forward in the 2nd half and started to have a real influence on the game. 

He's been at Pittodrie for 3 years and I reckon most Dons' fans would say that we've never really found the ideal position for him to play. He's always looked much more effective pushed that bit further forward , but for some reason McInnes and now Glass insist(ed) on having him sit on the halfway line or even deeper. 

He's obviously a talented player with a lot to offer, but it's fairly obvious he'll have to leave Aberdeen to reach his potential. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Yesterday was very much a typical Ferguson performance. 

Utterly anonymous in the first half, but then he pushed (or was pushed) further forward in the 2nd half and started to have a real influence on the game. 

He's been at Pittodrie for 3 years and I reckon most Dons' fans would say that we've never really found the ideal position for him to play. He's always looked much more effective pushed that bit further forward , but for some reason McInnes and now Glass insist(ed) on having him sit on the halfway line or even deeper. 

He's obviously a talented player with a lot to offer, but it's fairly obvious he'll have to leave Aberdeen to reach his potential. 

Certainly agree with you about Ferguson. I feel that when I’ve gone to any game when Ferguson has started, I’ve never known where on the pitch he’s going to be playing. Like you I think he’s more effective further forward and he likes a shot from distance.

Longstaff can be filed in beside Gurr as 'never a football player in a million years' if yesterday is anything to go by

I seem to be in the minority (again), but actually thought after a poor first half, that Longstaff looked decent enough after the break.

Hopefully if used, he will get more influential as the games go on - but after the earlier speculation that he would have to play due to the loan agreement, it will be interesting to see how many opportunities he gets.

33 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

If you seriously think that we’ve only played well in the league against Dundee United and the second half against Hearts, then there’s no point in me arguing with you, or your fellow #Glassout campaigner @Jacksgranda

Guest Bob Mahelp
58 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

If you seriously think that we’ve only played well in the league against Dundee United and the second half against Hearts, then there’s no point in me arguing with you, or your fellow #Glassout campaigner @Jacksgranda

I'm not trying to argue, honestly. Just an opinion..

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Have to say I’m struggling to think of any league games where I’d say we’ve played well , although there have been some spells in these games where we’ve been decent. Few and far between though, these spells.

I don’t think we played all that well against  a pretty poor Dundee United. It was a fairly comfortable win but we hardly threatened to score other than the two goals.

Edited by A96

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Out of interest, which other games did the team play well in?

The 2 European home games, yes, although hard to know how good the opponents were.

Any others?