The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

17 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm uncertain how I feel about things today. 

I thought that....up to the red card....that was the best we'd played since the 2nd half at Tynecastle, and the fact is that the team recovered well after losing yet another stupid, quick goal. We were completely in control and playing some good stuff. 

Does anybody believe that we would have lost that game yesterday with 11 men ? 

The mistake came in the management not reacting quickly enough to events in the game. Another example of Glass's inexperience. 

Our players are not as bad as results suggest, and some day soon we're going to give someone a doing. 

But appointing Glass was still a massive mistake though, and the danger is that we've set the club back 10 years. 

I agree with quite a bit that you’ve written there, but to say the club has been set back 10 years? That’s something from The S*n or the D**ly R*c*rd.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I agree with quite a bit that you’ve written there, but to say the club has been set back 10 years? That’s something from The S*n or the D**ly R*c*rd.

Maybe slightly dramatic, but there are signs around the edges that the management team don't have a clue how to put things right. We can't defend. We give away the first goal in every game. Knocked out of the League Cup by a lower league team. 8 games (and counting) without a win. 

While maybe not quite McGhee-esque, it's certainly a different pattern to the Aberdeen under McInnes. Even when we weren't in the best of form, a McInnes team often found a way to win ugly. Maybe it wasn't pretty sometimes, but it was damn sight more effective than the limp rubbish that Glass is serving up. 

We've got used to cup finals, high league positions and European football in the last 7 years. Glass's job is/was to take that base and improve on it. The legacy is in danger of being sacrificed on the alter of Cormack's ego. 

53 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm uncertain how I feel about things today. 

I thought that....up to the red card....that was the best we'd played since the 2nd half at Tynecastle, and the fact is that the team recovered well after losing yet another stupid, quick goal. We were completely in control and playing some good stuff. 

Does anybody believe that we would have lost that game yesterday with 11 men ? 

The mistake came in the management not reacting quickly enough to events in the game. Another example of Glass's inexperience. 

Our players are not as bad as results suggest, and some day soon we're going to give someone a doing. 

But appointing Glass was still a massive mistake though, and the danger is that we've set the club back 10 years. 

Thought we played well till red card then the arse fell out of us 

26 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Maybe slightly dramatic, but there are signs around the edges that the management team don't have a clue how to put things right. We can't defend. We give away the first goal in every game. Knocked out of the League Cup by a lower league team. 8 games (and counting) without a win. 

While maybe not quite McGhee-esque, it's certainly a different pattern to the Aberdeen under McInnes. Even when we weren't in the best of form, a McInnes team often found a way to win ugly. Maybe it wasn't pretty sometimes, but it was damn sight more effective than the limp rubbish that Glass is serving up. 

We've got used to cup finals, high league positions and European football in the last 7 years. Glass's job is/was to take that base and improve on it. The legacy is in danger of being sacrificed on the alter of Cormack's ego. 

There’s no question that I am concerned, but the players that we already have in our squad are light years ahead of what McGhee had at his disposal. Plus the way that we play in parts of games that we end up not winning, Raith Rovers, Hearts, Ross County, Motherwell and in particular St Mirren until we lost Jenks, is obviously a team that has football in them. I am still willing to give Stephen Glass a few more chances, but he has to get the team to stop losing really stupid and avoidable goals, see yesterday’s first and third St Mirren goals as examples.

35 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

There was always going to be around a 20% chance of improving on that base performance, and at least a 50% chance of it significantly dipping.

Many of the older heads on here probably realised that from experience of previous changes - a lot of the younger folks on mainstream social media maybe less so.  

I don’t think we were guaranteed to win with 11 men. If we hadn’t scored a 3rd then at some point we would have come under a period of sustained pressure and it’s very possible we wouldn’t deal with it. 

The sending off accelerated a period of sustained pressure and we melted like a chocolate kettle. 

Fact is we need to be able to deal with the sort of pressure teams in this league will look to put us under and we haven’t shown any signs that we’re capable. 

8 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

So how are we all feeling this morning?

200.gif

I am in full blown panic mode.  

Any team with any sense of urgency, just cuts through us.  

We are as soft as skitter and sometimes even more shambolic at the back than that!

We've spent an absolute fortune on what look on paper to be well above average SPL players, but I for one am struggling to see what, if anything, we do well.

I loved Glass as a player, but whenever I see this team, I'm transported back to the year 2000 and uncle Ebbe.

Admittedly he's nae Alex 'that cnvt' Miller, but I can see a day when he has to leave via the boot of a Nissan Qashqai!

Yours, poopin ma punts that Broon is just an expensive Paul Hartley mark II

aDONis

58 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

I am in full blown panic mode.  

Any team with any sense of urgency, just cuts through us.  

We are as soft as skitter and sometimes even more shambolic at the back than that!

We've spent an absolute fortune on what look on paper to be well above average SPL players, but I for one am struggling to see what, if anything, we do well.

I loved Glass as a player, but whenever I see this team, I'm transported back to the year 2000 and uncle Ebbe.

Admittedly he's nae Alex 'that cnvt' Miller, but I can see a day when he has to leave via the boot of a Nissan Qashqai!

Yours, poopin ma punts that Broon is just an expensive Paul Hartley mark II

aDONis

Mixing your metaphors managers there surely.

I'm not in panic mode yet because there are some signs of hope. We can and do play decent football when we're not letting in soft as shite goals.

8 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Not in “panic mode” yet.

Possibly come back to me at the end of October if it goes as I expect it to after playing Celtic, Hibs, SEVCO & Hearts. 

It's the relegation battle against Dundee that'll settle his fate, not the other games.

Not panicking in the least,it's much worse than that.Watched the St Mirren game almost like a neutral and at final whistle felt nothing.So this is apathy, must be some sort of self preservation thing or something.Shame really as was willing to give Glass a chance but never in my wildest thought we would become this awful.Takes Ramirez off and replaces with JET and persevere with Joe when a blind man can see his confidence is shot and has been for some time now.Could go on about signings and other things but pfft.That said i am a Dons fan and will continue to hope for the best even though my belief for this season is in the toilet at the minute.COYR

6 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Just catching up.

I enjoyed the Jim "The Relegator" Duffy sugestion and also enjoyed it being shot down. Things are bad for Aberdeen right now but it's not thta bad.

Jim fucking Duffy!

Settle min, the suggestion was never tae replace Glass with Duffy. The point was, and clearly missed, is that Glass is nae gan tae be sacked onytime soon. But, Cormack may be pressured tae do something and for me the appointment of Russell is looking well dodgy. Sacrificing him and bringing in an experienced no. 2, especially one that can organise a back 4, wid mhak a lot o sense. 

1 hour ago, 72redz said:

Settle min, the suggestion was never tae replace Glass with Duffy. The point was, and clearly missed, is that Glass is nae gan tae be sacked onytime soon. But, Cormack may be pressured tae do something and for me the appointment of Russell is looking well dodgy. Sacrificing him and bringing in an experienced no. 2, especially one that can organise a back 4, wid mhak a lot o sense. 

image.gif.46b16260c7fbb86b7eca70cb7a679d7a.gif

Edited by gannonball

12 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Enjoyed that, cheers. Here is hoping Glass can turn it around. I am not confident, however things can change quickly. We were out of sight of Hibs last season around halfway then Hibs went on a run and we went to shite. Now that's pretty positive for a Monday 😂

2 hours ago, 72redz said:

But, Cormack may be pressured tae do something and for me the appointment of Russell is looking well dodgy.

Based on what though? He's not even the assistant manager? He, Brown and Apaloo are all the more American style assistant head coach position.

Don't get me wrong Russell could be horrendous for all I know but seems odd to single him out specifically without anything specific to go on? I know he obviously had the issues with the drink drive thing but that shouldn't necessarily have any impact on his coaching.

12 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Based on what though? He's not even the assistant manager? He, Brown and Apaloo are all the more American style assistant head coach position.

Don't get me wrong Russell could be horrendous for all I know but seems odd to single him out specifically without anything specific to go on? I know he obviously had the issues with the drink drive thing but that shouldn't necessarily have any impact on his coaching.

Why Russell? Russell is in effect the no. 2, I dinna doubt his striker coaching credentials, though that’s nae been working too well lately. Look, there are folk calling for Glass tae be sacked, folk predicting he’ll be gone by November, that’s jist nae gan tae happen, no way Cormack will sack Glass. But, if we continue tae struggle as maist expect, Cormack will be pressured to do something. Personally, I’d rather we had a mair experienced, old fox alang side Glass that kens  how tae drill and organise a back 4.

16 minutes ago, 72redz said:

Why Russell? Russell is in effect the no. 2, I dinna doubt his striker coaching credentials, though that’s nae been working too well lately. Look, there are folk calling for Glass tae be sacked, folk predicting he’ll be gone by November, that’s jist nae gan tae happen, no way Cormack will sack Glass. But, if we continue tae struggle as maist expect, Cormack will be pressured to do something. Personally, I’d rather we had a mair experienced, old fox alang side Glass that kens  how tae drill and organise a back 4.

I actually don’t understand why you’re singling Russell out. 

He’s been sold as a set piece expert and he’s clearly influenced that so far this season, despite results. 

21 minutes ago, 72redz said:

So because Glass isn't going to be sacked we should just arbitrarily pick a member of staff to be sacked based on no real evidence we're aware of to appoint a hypothetical experienced coach into a different position than the sacked member of staff had in the hope it'll solve.....something?

I appreciate we're all pretty frustrated just now but think that's just a bit of a reach. Unless someone is claiming to have some inside knowledge of what's going on I don't think there's any basis for singling out a single backroom member of staff as the issue.

Edited by Rodhull