The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I thought we were pretty good in the first half, especially after going behind. Hedges and Jenks clearly made a difference to us going forward, and we started playing with some confidence after the equaliser. We still looked vulnerable at the back, but at least we were creating genuine chances, moving the ball quite well and, most importantly, scoring goals. 

You can't look at the second half without considering the impact of the red card, but our management of the game after this was concerning. You would expect it to have an impact, naturally, but it completely knocked us for six. We never looked like competing in the game again after their equaliser. 

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

This is like watching McGhee's team except with expensive players. We'll be bottom 3 by December. There's no sign of any plan, shape, anything. 

Oot. 

Aye it’s getting to the stage that it really doesn’t matter if we improve offensively. The defending is so bad that we’re giving ourselves almost zero chance of success. 

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

I thought we were pretty good in the first half, especially after going behind. Hedges and Jenks clearly made a difference to us going forward, and we started playing with some confidence after the equaliser. We still looked vulnerable at the back, but at least we were creating genuine chances, moving the ball quite well and, most importantly, scoring goals. 

You can't look at the second half without considering the impact of the red card, but our management of the game after this was concerning. You would expect it to have an impact, naturally, but it completely knocked us for six. We never looked like competing in the game again after their equaliser. 

Yeah, exactly this.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye it’s getting to the stage that it really doesn’t matter if we improve offensively. The defending is so bad that we’re giving ourselves almost zero chance of success. 

Gets Woods in and see if that settles the defence. We actually looked ok at the back at the end of last season.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Lewis has been shite but I don’t think he’s at the heart of the problem.

A nervous defence with no confidence in the man behind them helps nobody.

The issue I have is that we drop Lewis and Woods (I don't rate him too highly) is shite then you're chucking a keeper you've dropped back in.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

A nervous defence with no confidence in the man behind them helps nobody.

The issue I have is that we drop Lewis and Woods (I don't rate him too highly) is shite then you're chucking a keeper you've dropped back in.

Other than his distribution I thought woods was pretty questionable in his run last season. I don’t really see him being a safe pair behind the defence. 

That’s obviously just an opinion from a smallish sample size, though. 

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Other than his distribution I thought woods was pretty questionable in his run last season. I don’t really see him being a safe pair behind the defence. 

That’s obviously just an opinion from a smallish sample size, though. 

Aye. That's where I'm at. Something needs to change though. I did think we looked ok defensively until we went down to ten.

31 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye. That's where I'm at. Something needs to change though. I did think we looked ok defensively until we went down to ten.

I’m not sure, I thought it was more that we had enough control of the game that st Mirren didn’t particularly test us, and even then we’ve conceded a very cheap goal. 

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not sure, I thought it was more that we had enough control of the game that st Mirren didn’t particularly test us, and even then we’ve conceded a very cheap goal. 

A cheap goal, but Joe had a couple exactly the same last season. Wants too much time before he clears it. I don't think that's to do with the set up.

I wouldn't drop Lewis. I think some of the criticism for him over the last few weeks - and probably the last couple of seasons - has been a bit over the top, but I will say that his form has been indifferent at best recently. From what I have seen from Woods, his distribution is incrementally better but I haven't seen anything to suggest that he would be an upgrade in terms of the goalkeeping 'fundamentals', if you like. I think Lewis has enough credit in the bank to try and play himself back into form. 

I do wonder if Glass should go to three centre-backs now, though. All of them are clearly quite flawed individually, but that might be the system that at least affords us - and them - a bit more protection there. I suppose there would be a question over where that leaves Mackenzie; I think he might be a serviceable option on the left of a three, but probably doesn't quite have the attacking nous to play as a wing-back in this system.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I wouldn't drop Lewis. I think some of the criticism for him over the last few weeks - and probably the last couple of seasons - has been a bit over the top, but I will say that his form has been indifferent at best recently. From what I have seen from Woods, his distribution is incrementally better but I haven't seen anything to suggest that he would be an upgrade in terms of the goalkeeping 'fundamentals', if you like. I think Lewis has enough credit in the bank to try and play himself back into form. 

I do wonder if Glass should go to three centre-backs now, though. All of them are clearly quite flawed individually, but that might be the system that at least affords us - and them - a bit more protection there. I suppose there would be a question over where that leaves Mackenzie; I think he might be a serviceable option on the left of a three, but probably doesn't quite have the attacking nous to play as a wing-back in this system.

I'm not blaming Lewis solely for our woes but "credit in the bank"? His confidence is shot, he's got the goalkeeping version of the yips, he's not ever getting back to the form he showed pre-2018. Sure he'll pull off the odd great save but he inspires confidence in no-one, not least, the defenders that play in front of him.

Was it "credit in the bank" that earned McGinn a three year contract after he popped off to Korea in the knowledge that he could return whenever he wanted irrespective of form then another year's contract this summer, which only his most ardent P&B Dons loyalists would've granted him.

Was it "credit the bank" that brought Hayes back on a two year deal after three years sitting on the substitute bench? 

Was it "credit the bank" that took Marley Watkins back when Cardiff rejected him for reasons unknown?

We need players that are up to it now, not that were good in the past and hoping they come good again.

Although, I should add, Woods is not the long-term answer either.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

I managed to catch todays game from the 35th minute onwards so can only comment from that point on.

From what I witnessed I thought we were very poor today and we deserved to lose. Clearly the Jenks sending was a little harsh and was the turning point in the game. I felt Bates had a claim for a penalty and Ferguson was very unfortunate tot be booked as well. Collum made some bizarre calls today.

I like Joe Lewis and I do believe he's a good goalie however he clearly doesn't have the technical nor distributive attributes to play this style of football. Sadly I feel he needs to be dropped and Woods should start for a bit.

The entire teams confidence is depleted and we're not getting the breaks from decisions either.

I'm hoping the inclusion of Watkins and Samuels can get the team going. We do have the potential to be a great team but the lack of confidence is fading any chances of success this season. We are already 7 points behind our Edinburgh rivals and the momentum is very much with them. 

I'm willing to accept I'm being Melodramatic however I fear achieving top 6 this season has become the main objective after a very poor start to the season.