The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Still can't make up my mind on this.

On the one hand, they are a club from a smallish league who play in front of 1,500 fans domestically. However, similar to the likes of BATE Borisov and Sherriff Tiraspol, they do seem to benefit from serious investment and constantly punch above anyone else in their league in Europe.

Nevertheless, we probably have faced better sides in Europe in recent times, and produced more credible performances.

It was such a pumping, full of naivety, and I think this was the worst home European performance in the last decade (albeit I missed the Rijeka 2019 game). However, to credit the current regime, beating a Swedish side 5-1 was also probably the best home result since Copenhagen - as most of McInnes' good European results came away from home.

As stated, a rollercoster of a season likely - but that wee cart could do with going back up the slope and whizzing around the upper levels for the challenges to come - that would restore some of the early season optimism.

We'll see what the next month or so brings.

Hedges, Watkins and Ramirez lining up together should make a massive difference.

14 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Yeah, Celtic match. I’m guessing the plan is to cash in on 1800 away fans at £32 a go. Can’t see us filling the rest of the South or the RDS upper at the same price.

£36 is wild, must surely be the highest ever price for a non-hospitality ticket at Pittodrie.

£36 is the padded seats where the hospitality sits. Prices have put us near Hibs and Hearts prices for Grade 1 games. 

Aberdeen/Celtic/Hearts/Hibs/Rangers are making it less a working person game to go to all these games. 

Edited by betting competition

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Still can't make up my mind on this.

On the one hand, they are a club from a smallish league who play in front of 1,500 fans domestically. However, similar to the likes of BATE Borisov and Sherriff Tiraspol, they do seem to benefit from serious investment and constantly punch above anyone else in their league in Europe.

Nevertheless, we probably have faced better sides in Europe in recent times, and produced more credible performances.

It was such a pumping, full of naivety, and I think this was the worst home European performance in the last decade (albeit I missed the Rijeka 2019 game). However, to credit the current regime, beating a Swedish side 5-1 was also probably the best home result since Copenhagen - as most of McInnes' good European results came away from home.

As stated, a rollercoster of a season likely - but that wee cart could do with going back up the slope and whizzing around the upper levels for the challenges to come - that would restore some of the early season optimism non pessimism.

I think that covers it better, imo.

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

It looks like our "challenger brand" model might be on the wane after all those years of 'success' under Derek McInnes with lots of semi final/runners up/top 4/European qualifiers titles in the bag.

However, it's good that we're still playing a challenging brand of football to watch.

I've attached the 'challenger brand' document if you need to reacquaint yourself with this project and exciting journey we're currently undergoing.

Capture.thumb.JPG.c9147ea7d94aec6f02264d1b8bf8943d.JPG

Club-Brochure.pdf 1.91 MB · 4 downloads

I absolutely realise that you’re taking the piss, but you know what, I enjoy going to semi finals, I enjoy going to finals, I enjoy when we finish 4th or better and I enjoy qualifying for Europe every season. Only one other club in the country has done this as regularly as us in the last 8 years. Never take any of these things for granted.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I absolutely realise that you’re taking the piss, but you know what, I enjoy going to semi finals, I enjoy going to finals, I enjoy when we finish 4th or better and I enjoy qualifying for Europe every season. Only one other club in the country has done this as regularly as us in the last 8 years. Never take any of these things for granted.

-b-b-but it was 'eyebleeding' apparently.

Guest Bob Mahelp
55 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I think it was the right time for McInnes to leave, but I'm around 5% convinced that Glass was the right man to replace him. 

All this 'you must play wonderful football' order from Cormack is fine, but the first task of any manager has to be to make sure you don't lose games. McInnes was instantly very good at that, giving us a solid base to build on.

Glass honestly seems not to have a clue. We just keep on making the same mistakes week after week. 

Yaaaaassss the McInnes debate again along with so much negativity on Glass.

Lets give Glass time to get it right as he had so many new signings this season so the team needs a bit of time for it to gel.

On paper this team looks very good.  

Edited by betting competition

15 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I think it was the right time for McInnes to leave, but I'm around 5% convinced that Glass was the right man to replace him. 

All this 'you must play wonderful football' order from Cormack is fine, but the first task of any manager has to be to make sure you don't lose games. McInnes was instantly very good at that, giving us a solid base to build on.

Glass honestly seems not to have a clue. We just keep on making the same mistakes week after week. 

We were doing exactly the same things last season under McInnes. I.e. conceeding cheap goals through individual errors, and failing to score despite often having far more of the ball.

26 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

5% more than me then.

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Lads, I loved Derek. He was a sexy b*****d up until he let himself go a bit and his hair towards the end got greasy. 

But he was sacked because of results ultimately, not the style of play. 

He was sacked because he didn't get on with an interfering chairman he regarded as a fool.

10 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

He was sacked because he didn't get on with an interfering chairman he regarded as a fool.

Last season was a shambles that he refused to own. Panicked recruitment in January showed he had lost it. 

He wouldn't have lasted as long if the fans had been in the stadium 

8 minutes ago, scoobles said:

Last season was a shambles that he refused to own. Panicked recruitment in January showed he had lost it. 

He wouldn't have lasted as long if the fans had been in the stadium 

Cormack was directly responsible for the panicked recruitment in January.  He refused to authorise spending on what was obviously necessary recruitment right up to the eleventh hour.  That was a deliberate reluctance to to support a manager he wanted rid of by then because they were not getting along.  He finally chickened out of not backing McInnes at all because it would have made it so obvious that he was trying to undermine his own manager, but by the time McInnes got the go ahead to do anything he was reduced to rushing around panic-signing long shots.

McInnes was not normally the type to take his problems to the media but he was so pissed off by this he complained publicly. From The Times on 12 February:

Derek McInnes unhappy about late transfer ‘scramble’

Derek McInnes has expressed frustration at Aberdeen’s work in the January transfer window, insisting that he did not want all their business to be done on deadline day.

2 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Cormack was directly responsible for the panicked recruitment in January.  He refused to authorise spending on what was obviously necessary recruitment right up to the eleventh hour.  That was a deliberate reluctance to to support a manager he wanted rid of by then because they were not getting along.  He finally chickened out of not backing McInnes at all because it would have made it so obvious that he was trying to undermine his own manager, but by the time McInnes got the go ahead to do anything he was reduced to rushing around panic-signing long shots.

McInnes was not normally the type to take his problems to the media but he was so pissed off by this he complained publicly. From The Times on 12 February:

Derek McInnes unhappy about late transfer ‘scramble’

Derek McInnes has expressed frustration at Aberdeen’s work in the January transfer window, insisting that he did not want all their business to be done on deadline day.

Ok Derek. 

How's the job hunting going? 

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

That's because we've been starved off anything akin to it for the 25 years or so previous, so regular top 4 finishes, semi finals, the occasionally final and six weeks in the European qualifiers did feel better than anything in recent memory although it wasn't up against much.

I think if we were a well run club in good hands we could do even better though than those eight years.

Unfortunately, we weren't under Milne and the signs are looking ominous with regards Cormack's qualities as club chairman.