The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
26 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Still a bit early but much more performances like yesterday will get me a bit more trigger happy towards glass. 

I thought we had absolutely no idea how we were going to open saints up, even more so than against Motherwell. 

He probably needs the opportunity to have watkins hedges and maybe samuels all in the team at once and see if that makes a difference. 

The first leg of Hacken and Dundee United game aside, we've been poor in (parts of) pretty much every single game we've played this season. 

It's not just scoring goals that's an issue, it's the fact that for the first time in years we have a defence that looks entirely incapable of keeping a clean sheet. 

The irony is that on paper....I know, I know....most people would say that our squad is probably stronger than it's been for several years. 

It's obvious that Glass doesn't know our best starting XI, and it's fairly clear that there are still several players being asked to do the same square peg in a round hole job that plagued us under McInnes. 

On top of that, it's looking like both Ramsey and Mackenzie could do with a break. I thought both had poor games yesterday. 

No tears here. It just is a fact St Johnstones style is utterly brutal and has been for years. 
Its worked recently for you so understandably you wont care.
As i say you have had many a rant on here at your own clubs tactics and style of play so i think you know!

So how come you committed more fouls than us?

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because thats roughly how long since we got promoted, and in that period we've had Aberdeen fans calling us shite after every single game against them, including one we won 5-1.

Glad you managed to have a wee rant about the 80s though, no Aberdeen defeat is followed without one.

Mind you, you were pretty shite in that game you won 5-1.

28 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The first leg of Hacken and Dundee United game aside, we've been poor in (parts of) pretty much every single game we've played this season. 

It's not just scoring goals that's an issue, it's the fact that for the first time in years we have a defence that looks entirely incapable of keeping a clean sheet. 

The irony is that on paper....I know, I know....most people would say that our squad is probably stronger than it's been for several years. 

It's obvious that Glass doesn't know our best starting XI, and it's fairly clear that there are still several players being asked to do the same square peg in a round hole job that plagued us under McInnes. 

On top of that, it's looking like both Ramsey and Mackenzie could do with a break. I thought both had poor games yesterday. 

My biggest worry has been defence as even in the European games we were getting cut open pretty easily and being let off the hook. 

The Dundee United cup game is basically the blueprint for how trying to play possession, expansive football can shit all over you in Scotland. Opposition defend their box well, you resort to crosses into the box that are meat and drink for Scottish centre halves.

In midfield a semi decent press from the opposition and as a fairly average technical team in this league we will inevitably make enough mistakes in our own half on the ball, while the full backs have pressed on, that chances present themselves to the opposition. 

we weren’t as calamitous defensively yesterday but we still gave st Johnstone the one or two opportunities they needed, because of course we did. 

you can forgive some of the above If we show some guile or something different to hurt the opposition but yesterday there really was nothing to hang out hat on. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Still a bit early but much more performances like yesterday will get me a bit more trigger happy towards glass. 

I thought we had absolutely no idea how we were going to open saints up, even more so than against Motherwell. 

He probably needs the opportunity to have watkins hedges and maybe samuels all in the team at once and see if that makes a difference. 

The injuries that we get always seem to be for our important players. It may or may not be a coincidence, but we haven’t won a match since Andy Considine was injured. No idea if Watkins was injured yesterday, but presume that he was.

1 hour ago, akuram said:

So how come you committed more fouls than us?

The aforementioned St Johnstone players taking a tumble from any minor touch and the ref falling for it.

Also as i mentioned constant leaving the boot in that you got away with.

Either way its glass's job to break down agricultural teams like St Johnstone

7 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Just about every team in our league is agricultural, especially at Pittodrie. It's the easiest way of playing, and something DMCs dons did many times away from home down the years.

@Dons_1988is spot on in his assessment regarding the lack of technique in our midfield being a problem. It's a problem all over the park, probably, how many times was brown put into a 50/50 by a poor touch/pass yesterday? Heaps. 

Another huge thing for me is with the Red Shed, the crowd are up for it, singing and bouncing before the game. The first thing we do from kick off is play the ball backwards to our centre halves, and it gets knocked about until the press is too much, then it goes long, and this just repeats itself many times in the game. The crowd can be a huge help to players but the way start matches makes it hard to keep the crowd engaged. There were long lulls of silence in yesterday's match because of how boring and predictable the football was. 

Long season ahead. 

Agree with pretty much all of that.

Definitely worth noting pretty much every half chance or move forward seemed to start from Brown winning the ball or passing forwards.

He seems to have more energy than the likes of Ferguson just now. Cant be right 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, afc_blockhead said:

Agree with pretty much all of that.

Definitely worth noting pretty much every half chance or move forward seemed to start from Brown winning the ball or passing forwards.

He seems to have more energy than the likes of Ferguson just now. Cant be right 

Ferguson has been pretty damn awful in the last few games. The feeling is growing that we should have sold him a month ago. 

About 3 times a season he pings in a 20 yarder or so. Other than that he's offering very little in an attacking sense, and seems to spend the majority of his time on the half way line exchanging sideways passes with Brown. 

It's been a 3 year long conundrum finding the ideal place in the side for what is obviously a talented footballer, and we still haven't solved it. In the meantime, we've loaded the team with similar midfielders in McCrorie, Campbell, Ojo, Brown and now Longstaff. 

What we desperately need is Hedges to stop getting serious injuries, and Watkins to step up to the plate. They're the only midfielders/deep strikers we have who are capable of getting the 10 goals or so each that will make the difference between top 4 and bottom 6. 

What we need is a goalscorer, one who can get 20 goals a season, what i'd give for that...........

so we could mercilessly slag them off and call them "pish" like we did with Cosgrove and Rooney.

Edited by red23

8 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

The number of penalties took both of them over the 20 goal mark. 

Always laugh when I hear this said about a player.

It's as if some folk penalties don't count or something.

Edited by Sheep62

I am usually/always an optimist when it comes to AFC, but we have just played a team that hadn’t won without the aid of a penalty shoot out all season and lost. We now play a team that hasn’t won a league game all season followed by playing a team at home who haven’t won away for seven months. I really hope I’m looking back on this post in two weeks time and laughing my socks off...but I doubt it.

15 hours ago, red23 said:

What we need is a goalscorer, one who can get 20 goals a season, what i'd give for that...........

so we could mercilessly slag them off and call them "pish" like we did with Cosgrove and Rooney.

No point having a goalscorer in the team when the team doesn't create chances. Actually feeling sorry for Ramirez as he is feeding off very little scraps and it was frustrating to see him put a cross in the last minute on Saturday when he should be in the box. 

50 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I am usually/always an optimist when it comes to AFC, but we have just played a team that hadn’t won without the aid of a penalty shoot out all season and lost. We now play a team that hasn’t won a league game all season followed by playing a team at home who haven’t won away for seven months. I really hope I’m looking back on this post in two weeks time and laughing my socks off...but I doubt it.

There is always next Saturday Sunday :D

57 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I wouldn't wear any socks, just to be on the safe side.