The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Ramsay is a fantastic prospect - a joy to watch going forward, and some of his deliveries are first class.

He has been culpable defensively for at least a couple of goals this season, and switched off for Motherwell’s first on Saturday.

He needs to play regularly and learn - whether our defence is the place to do it remains to be seen, as he will be expected to push forward a lot, which increases the risk of being exposed at the back.

Didn’t Everton, Roma and Napoli apparently want Ryan Jack at this age?

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

He is a good player, but I assume this is a bit tongue in cheek?

If not, you genuinely think someone will pay £5m for a player with 7 or 8 games under their belt?

I don’t think it’s particularly unbelievable and there has been some pretty big transfers involving players with little first team football.

Clubs will have scouts all over the place, including reserve/u18/u21 matches so it could be that Everton have been aware of Ramsay before he broke into the team and are now happy to proceed with a transfer after witnessing him slot seamlessly into the first team so it may not be based off just a few first team appearances.

7 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Ramsay is a fantastic prospect - a joy to watch going forward, and some of his deliveries are first class.

He has been culpable defensively for at least a couple of goals this season, and switched off for Motherwell’s first on Saturday.

He needs to play regularly and learn - whether our defence is the place to do it remains to be seen, as he will be expected to push forward a lot, which increases the risk of being exposed at the back.

Didn’t Everton, Roma and Napoli apparently want Ryan Jack at this age?

No that was at some point in his early twenties. 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Appreciate that Ramsay is actually playing - which is great.

No sure I would use "reported bids for Rangers stars" in their pet publications as a yardstick - see Morelos for multiple examples.

It comes down to the age old matter of our valuation of the player vs what any potential suitors are willing to pay. Ultimately, at the moment there's absolutely nothing to suggest that Patterson is either a better player or has more potential than Ramsay. He's under contract until 2024, and Aberdeen would be well within their rights to hold out for 8 figures if they want to. Doesn't mean anyone has to pay it.

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

He is a good player, but I assume this is a bit tongue in cheek?

If not, you genuinely think someone will pay £5m for a player with 7 or 8 games under their belt?

If reports are to be believed, The Rangers turned down 7-8 million for Patterson. Ramsay is every bit as good if not better and younger. I fully appreciate why you'd say its delusional to be seeking 5 million + for the lad but it's really not often Aberdeen produce a player of this calibre. The last one was probably Ryan Fraser nearly 10 years ago. 

I'd go as far as saying he's one of the best youth prospects we've had in the last 20 odd years. He's a terrific player and will only get better. IMO he's already our most valuable asset.

Personally, I hope we keep him until next summer once he's had a full season under his belt and start a bidding war as I'm sure he'll attract further attention beyond just Everton.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

No doubting Ramsay has done well this season. He, along with the rest of the team, struggled in the home match v Qarabag and as has been pointed out he was found wanting defensively v Motherwell as well. I think a better measure of his current level will be found in early November as Aberdeen will have played all of the better teams in the country by that stage.

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

No doubting Ramsay has done well this season. He, along with the rest of the team, struggled in the home match v Qarabag and as has been pointed out he was found wanting defensively v Motherwell as well. I think a better measure of his current level will be found in early November as Aberdeen will have played all of the better teams in the country by that stage.

I thought Ramsay did alright in that game considering he is so young and inexperienced and the team was struggling, especially the more experienced but still young McCrorie who looked like a deer in the headlights.

The round before, I thought Mckenzie was MOTM and Ramsay probably next. 
Over the season so far, Ramsay the main standout for me.

He may need a wee rest sometimes as he’s so young, and there will be a dip in form somewhere but he has the ability, no question of that.

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I've just watched the Marley Watkins interview on RedTV. Not an easy watch/listen. I like him as a player, but he didn't seem in the slightest interested in doing that interview. 

😂 

Aye. Either no interest or a bit thick.

The David Bates one wasn't easy either but you got the feeling he wasn't comfortable in front of the camera.

On 15/09/2021 at 10:44, HarleyQuinn said:

If reports are to be believed, The Rangers turned down 7-8 million for Patterson. Ramsay is every bit as good if not better and younger. I fully appreciate why you'd say its delusional to be seeking 5 million + for the lad but it's really not often Aberdeen produce a player of this calibre. The last one was probably Ryan Fraser nearly 10 years ago. 

I'd go as far as saying he's one of the best youth prospects we've had in the last 20 odd years. He's a terrific player and will only get better. IMO he's already our most valuable asset.

Personally, I hope we keep him until next summer once he's had a full season under his belt and start a bidding war as I'm sure he'll attract further attention beyond just Everton.

Massive citation needed for both of these in bold. He's every chance imo but atm he's proved himself to be about as good as Callum Booth was as a youngster. There's reasons that Patterson is so highly rated in comparison and it's more complex than just "he plays for Rangers".

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

26 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Massive citation needed for both of these in bold. He's every chance imo but atm he's proved himself to be about as good as Callum Booth was as a youngster. There's reasons that Patterson is so highly rated in comparison and it's more complex than just "he plays for Rangers".

Callum Booth 🤣

12 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I mean just as a single example there's playing well and scoring in the knockout rounds of the Europa league versus looking decent against a couple of complete diddy outfits in the Europa Conference qualifiers. 

So playing for Rangers then.

13 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I mean just as a single example there's playing well and scoring in the knockout rounds of the Europa league versus looking decent against a couple of complete diddy outfits in the Europa Conference qualifiers. 

That was complex 

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Callum Booth 🤣

Yes you're right actually, Callum Booth had played an entire season before Walter Mittys in the Hibs support decided he was worth millions of pounds, not a handful of starts and a decent cross or two. So the OP is in fact being far more melodramatic than I first suggested 

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

So playing for Rangers then.

So impressing at a far higher standard than Ramsey ever has. 

30 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Yes you're right actually, Callum Booth had played an entire season before Walter Mittys in the Hibs support decided he was worth millions of pounds, not a handful of starts and a decent cross or two. So the OP is in fact being far more melodramatic than I first suggested 

So impressing at a far higher standard than Ramsey ever has. 

A simple Google search will show you where both were playing at the same age.

Then take in to account what level the two teams are at. Aberdeen are fighting for third with a good Hibs side. In 10/11 Hibs were fighting for 9th with a shite Aberdeen side.